Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wallow Potential ... ideas?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby JGH » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Geography: The mountain runs basically north-south. On the west side, a narrow "meadow", between 20 and 60 yards across starts about 3/4 the way up, and runs down, running west-north-west. There is a series of large wallows at the top, and the meadow is hit for grazing, documented by trail camera. Prevailing winds are from the west. Elk density is medium-to-high, at least now during the calving season.

Question: How would you approach this area during the 1st week of the season?

My ideas?

1. I put a trail camera on the largest wallow/watering area, but winds from the west worry me that elk bedded above will bust me if I set up an ambush. Thermals pulling down would help, though, and if the winds are consistent, I'd still have opportunities approaching from the side. A treestand is an option, or I could make a ground blind.

2. Get above them, on the top of the hill, mid-day, and do cold-calling set-ups. This might be the only time of day the thermals and the prevailing winds are agreeing on which direction to go.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Wallow Potential ... ideas?

Postby elkmtngear » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Maybe a trail cam with a makeshift windsock in view of it...it would help determine wind patterns at different points in the day...if consistent it would help your attack plan ?
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Bowhunter » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

elkmtngear wrote:Maybe a trail cam with a makeshift windsock in view of it...it would help determine wind patterns at different points in the day...if consistent it would help your attack plan ?

Great idea. :?: The cam would show the time and possibly temp. The sock would show the wind dirrection.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby JGH » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Of course, every time the wind blows, I'll get a photo of a wind sock and no elk.

The sock would need to be positioned just right to not trigger the camera yet still be visible.

Even so, I think patterning elk with this method might be hit/miss ... I bet quite a few times, the sock would be hanging straight down.

Any thoughts on the idea of coming in from above?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby POk3s » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Depending on where their bedded I think your best bet would be to come in from the bottom. If you're going to hunt it in the evenings, your thermals will be blowing downhill. If you set up above them in mid afternoon and your thermals start to shift you're toast. Tough to tell without knowing where their bedded but if it's an evening sit be below them and below the wallows.
POk3s

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I normally try to pick a path that will take me to my stand with the least problems. Nothing is perfect. I hurry in and cause the least disturbance from scent, sight, and sound. Occasionally I get busted. Maybe I get into my stand and wait it out and sometimes I turn around and go somewhere else. Shifty winds are normal. I like a hang on stand that I place high in a good sized tree to afford me the best protection from the thermals.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby six » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Fishing line with a turkey feather. Makes a great indicator.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby westaner » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

If there's to many wallows I put trees and branches in the lower ones, make them unusable.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby cnelk » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 9]

For those not familiar with the wind in Wyoming, below is a pic of a typical wind sock with some details...

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bullnuts » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Cnelk, That, my friend, is classic! :lol:
Bullnuts

Postby Bullnuts » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Approach your spot on the shady side, begin your hunt about halfway up the mountain, move slow, set up and call when you're within about 100-150 yards of those wallows or the meadow, and be ready to readjust location if the elk are above or below you. That sounds like a spot that is prime for an elk to hit the ground.
Bullnuts

Postby slim9300 » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

JGH wrote:Of course, every time the wind blows, I'll get a photo of a wind sock and no elk.

The sock would need to be positioned just right to not trigger the camera yet still be visible.

Even so, I think patterning elk with this method might be hit/miss ... I bet quite a few times, the sock would be hanging straight down.

Any thoughts on the idea of coming in from above?

The solution to this is to get two cameras. One for the elk and one for the wind. Put the sock, foam object, feather, etc. right in front of the camera where you plan on having your potential tree stand. It should only take a week or two of the camera being out to know exactly what the wind is doing at all times and see if there is a consistent pattern.

I can't sit still but it sounds like your best bet in this case.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics