Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado archery question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado archery question

Postby mandrroofing » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This Question isssssss,Can you hunt with a bow during ML season?I could not find this info out of there web pages but im sure its there.Thanks guys!
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Colorado archery question

Postby cnelk » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Yes you can.
And you dont have to wear blaze orange with an archery license
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bullnuts » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

cnelk wrote:Yes you can.
And you dont have to wear blaze orange with an archery license

Good answer, good answer!
Bullnuts

Postby mandrroofing » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Awsome! Thanks guys
mandrroofing

Postby bnsafe » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

deleted
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby otcWill » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

You sure, cnelk? I thought sure that muzzy was weapon specific and ya could only choose your weapon with a rifle tag. If I'm wrong, quite a few cows have been saved by my misunderstanding of this :)
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

deleted
bnsafe

Postby mandrroofing » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Ok now I'm really confused! Lol
mandrroofing

Postby diggerson » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Okay, here's the deal. If you have an archery tag, you can hunt during the concurrent ML season and do not have to wear orange. If you have a ML tag, you must hunt with a ML and do have to wear orange.
diggerson

Postby treestanding » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I agree with diggerson, that is exactly how it was explained to me.
treestanding

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Blackwood

Postby diggerson » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Matt, was your question meant to ask if you can hunt with a bow while having a ML tag in your pocket? Or just Archery hunt during the ML season? Either way, my previous response is accurate, but I'll point ya to where it's stated in the proclamation. Om Page 12, 3.a. ML Rifles & Smoothbore Muskets states Only legal ML allowed in ML seasons. The Legal Firearms and Bows table on the same page further describes this, showing only ML allowed in ML seasons (note bows are allowed in archery and rifle seasons). To the blaze orange issue, the orange text box at the top of page 13 describes that archers hunting during limited bear season (where rifle bear hunters may be present) or archers hunting with an archery bear, deer, elk, pronghorn or moose license do not have to wear orange.

But what if you happen to have both type of tags in your pocket?? I had thought about this some years back when there were leftover ML deer tags in the unit I was archery hunting elk. Thought about carrying both tags and weapons. Also thought about this for a possible high country early rifle season concurrent with elk archery. I suppose one could carry their orange in a pack, and if the firearm opportunity presented itself, one would have to deploy the orange garments before loading the firearm, and actively engaging in hunting with that weapon. But reality is you are probably in the act of "hunting" with both weapons available, so it is a gray area, but in this case your probably on the safe side of the law by wearing the orange at all times.

Hope this helps, probably more than you ever wanted to know... :D
diggerson

Postby Bowtech3dhunter » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I've gotta disagree too. In Colorado you can archery hunt during the concurrent muzzleloader season but you have to follow any game law that is required during that season. So in other words since muzzleloader season is also going on and since blaze orange is required during that time period you as a bow hunter also have to wear blaze orange during that time period.

Plus if there are people in the woods with firearms why wouldn't you want to wear blaze orange??
Bowtech3dhunter

Postby cnelk » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Wrong.
As a licensed archery hunter, you are NOT required to wear blaze orange during the 9 day ML season.
As a licensed ML hunter, a minimum of 500 sq inches of orange [including hat] must be worn at all times during legal hunting hours
Thats why its so fun to call in ML hunters while wearing camo and carrying a bow....

BUT....
On page 13 of the Regs,
You must wear orange if you are archery hunting during a rifle season.
[This is quite popular in the late seasons in Eastern Colorado where many people draw a rifle tag and hunt with archery gear
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bowhunter » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 14]

cnelk and diggerson are correct. No orange needed for archery hunting durring muzzy. But if you have a muzzy tag only a muzzleloader is a legal weapon. I would bet if you had both taggs archery and a muzzy tag, you better be wearing that orange while a firearm is on your possession.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 15]

WOW! How did this get so confusing! The regs are available to anyone who wants to read them and they're pretty specific about weapon types, when orange is required, and when it is not. You guys who are still having trouble with this can get the Colorado big game regs on line or at any license retailer. AND I would sincerely suggest that you do this anyway and read over what is legal and what is not. Colorado's regs aren't as lengthy as the ones you'll find in other states so it's a quick read - normally one to two bathroom session :mrgreen: and you'll get totally up to date. Pay particular attention to the "what's new for 2013" section in the front, and then read the "It is unlawful" section. That will pretty much sum it up for you.
Bullnuts

Postby mandrroofing » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I will have an Archary tag in my pocket so i should be good,I was thinking about heading to our camp spot a few days earlier then the rest of my group and that would put me in the ML season and I'd like to hunt every second I can, plus I like the sound of hunting by my lonesome :-D
mandrroofing

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 17]

From the beginning of archery season til the end, nothing changes if you have a archery tag. When muzzy season starts, which coincides with archery season for 9 days the 3rd week, they have there rules and archery has there's. Fish and Game regulations booklets are free and you can view them on the Internet. Never hunt in a state without reading regs cover to cover before the hunt, especially for your weapon of choice. Also, don't forget to check OHV regulations for the state your going to hunt. They are different in every state and can change from year to year. Some require non res. permits like Colorado.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby spyder24 » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Listen to cnelk. He is correct. If he is wrong I have been violating Colorado laws for several years.
spyder24

Postby Pop-r » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 19]

bnsafe, with all due respect sir, after reading a few of your post i think it would be very wise for you to read the 2013 CO regs if you intend on hunting there.
Pop-r

Postby bnsafe » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 20]

pm sent
bnsafe

Postby mandrroofing » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Another questions guys,In Colorado if someone does not have a elk tag there pocket and does not have any type of weapon can said person walk along thous hunting and call for the hunters?
mandrroofing

Postby diggerson » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Yes. Guides do it all the time.
diggerson

Postby Bullnuts » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 23]

diggerson wrote:Yes. Guides do it all the time.

Good answer, good answer!
Bullnuts