Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

That is the day I like to start Scouting out our Elk spots seriously. So far this year it's just been enjoyable to be in the woods working the rust loose. (grin) At that time I'll be into glassing out the hot spots from a distance so I don't push animals around or out of the area prematurely. I want to see their movements & what times & trails they may or may not be using. Much of the areas we hunt are not open country per say, but there are windows here & there that elk must pass through if they are living in the area & this is what I glass.

I don't get serious till Aug 10 because before that who knows where elk might be come the Aug 30th opener so I prefer scouting closer to the seasons opener.

Has anyone starting scouting out their potential areas yet? If so how's it going? I'll share my findings as things get closer.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby Bowhunter » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have reviewed maps and G earth. It is hard to put boots to ground from 1000+ miles away. I will be there a few days early to aclimate and scout.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby diggerson » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Set some cameras and did a little boots-on-the-ground recon (5 miles worth) last weekend, but it's an area I already know pretty well. Will get up to check cams on 8/3, but like Elknut said, this will be a "soft" trip in, to minimize disturbance of the critters. May get out the 'ol mtn bike to make that trip quick and relatively quiet. Still would like to get into my plan B and C areas a little more, but running out of time. Pronghorn season (8/15 opener!!) and other late August commitments will eat up most of the remaining pre-season scouting time.
diggerson

Postby elkmtngear » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Wish I could be out there Paul! Looking forward to hearing about your scouting trips.

If I'm lucky, I may get to videotape some "Park" Roosies on Saturday on the Nor Cal Coast. 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Heading out tonight after work. Driving close to 600 miles to do a hard weekend scouting trip. Its the weekend that worked out best for our group of 4, sounds like its a little early but for new territory I am just glad we get to set foot out there first. Our plan is to split up in groups of two (how we will be hunting) and check a total of 3 drainages from Friday to Sunday morning. We will be testing out two different spots for spike camp, water sources (us and the elk), where to park the truck, glassing spots, wallows, rubs....haha basically take in as much lintel as possible. Maybe even match some of the spots we scouted out using GE and topos. I marked out spots right now on my topos and google earth where it shows the seep or creek starting on the mountains side. I then also marked where other maps show a significant creek starting lower (not going all the way up). X marks the spot and I will be checking these two locations for water holes/wallows per spot. If you guys follow what I was describing :roll:.
Looking back at notes ive taken over the past year being on this site and now I finally get to put them to use. Wish I could bring the fly rod but want to spend my time scouting on such a short weekend. I will be reporting back Monday on how the trip went.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby cnelk » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Im heading up this weekend to camp and check trail cameras that have been up for over a month.

Then I will go up again and place more tree stands and check locations of elk for the start of season on Aug 31
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JGH » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Been riding in our area a couple times now ... have seen great sign (visuals, tracks, trail cameras) in all directions from camp. Plan will be to get back up there mid-August to check trail cameras again, then again toward the 1st of September.

Main concern now is that I'll hike into camp ... and see someone else already there. It's unlikely (I saw only one group further in than I was, 1 day out of 7 last year -- and that was an guide passing through) ... but I can't get the thought out of my head.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Harmy » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

This season I am headed to a new area which will require a decent backpack into base camp. My hunt is the first week of Oct. We have several locations to choose from, none of which I have been to yet. I visited one two weekends ago for a quick overnighter. Found sign but mostly much lower than what I was expecting. The highest coutry sign was all last years sign. Won't be able to get back out until mid August and once again mid September.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby elkaholic » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

So far I have just spent a TON of time going over GE, topo maps, ect. Headed out for a scouting trip on the 15th of Aug and to set a trail cam up. Can't wait.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby POk3s » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have one trail cam up. Made the 2 hour drive to make a 2 hour hike. Hour in, and an hour out. I went up and pulled my buddies trail cam last week in a different mountain range. Two days after we left it there a cow (elk) spun it around the tree.....typical. I'm hoping mine isn't a foot off the ground and facing the wrong direction as we speak. May head up next weekend to scout and will be up the last weekend of august to scout.
POk3s

Postby GetemDuck » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

CNELK, I've never left a camera out that long, do your batteries die or card get full? I've left a 2 gig card in mine and it was full after a week, but i think it might have set on 8mp photos and a quick reset. I need to get out a hang a few cameras and look around I have formed plans based off past experiences but might be nice just to get away for a weekend and scout.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby cnelk » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 12]

My camera is at a wallow so the card should be ok as the action is limited at this time of year.
cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Ohhhh yeah! I put my cameras out in June and try to tread lightly by only doing a check a month or so. Part of it is, I can't contain my excitement, and feel like I'm going to explode if I'm not doing something. I also like watching their development, and seeing what is moving through the area. Here are some pics of last year. I won't have any current until this weekend, when I swap SD cards, change batteries, and hang my stand. Like Xmas!

nubbins.jpg
nubbins.jpg (126.72 KiB) Viewed 8778 times

drunk elk.JPG
What's this weirdo doing? ;)
drunk elk.JPG (121.71 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Indian Summer » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 14]

On the 12th I'll be riding into my area for a serious scouting mission since I've never been there. Should be interesting.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I am heading out next Monday 7/29. I plan to stay out a week and look things over. I am not sure how many cameras we will have as it is usually a community effort, so I will have to wait and see who shows up in camp. My son has talked me into doing some bugling the last 8-9 days of the season, so I may also do some scouting in a new area. I was thinking about tying one up for him out in the wilderness, so I will be able to hurry back to my tree stand, but I hear I have to use "certified" hay to fattening the bull up. Bummer. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

you guys are killing me.
easeup

Postby mtnmutt » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Only scouted my backup areas in July, so I am anxious to hit my primary hunting area.

Because Elknut1 said in another post that closer to opening day is better. I am using the 1st and 3rd weekend in August for scouting and camera hanging in my primary area.

Right now, I am using my first ever camera in my backyard to catch the mulie culprit that is eating my tomato plants. It may be limpy (buck with damaged leg). Back gate is busted, so it is now a free for all for does, fawns and bucks to eat the tomatoes. In the past, only the bucks would jump the 6 ft fence. Fortunately, the bear won't likely be back til September. Scouting my backyard is going well :)
mtnmutt

Postby jensenrw.2000 » 07 27, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Pulled the cameras after the winter, got this picture after the season, good to see one of the big guys made it through!

PICT0304.jpg
PICT0304.jpg (271.63 KiB) Viewed 8620 times
jensenrw.2000

First Name: rob
Last Name: jensen

Postby elkoholic » 07 27, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I hike all summer. Or that's is what I call it until closer to the season. The reality of it is I scout all summer. I just get more serious about actually scouting beginning of August...
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby twinkieman » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 20]

All of you who are able to scout, and hang cameras cause me to change skin color like a chameleon. I am now a shade of green(envious).
I do have a question for those who put out cameras, how many of you have been ripped off? It seems that a lot of hunters have lost their cameras to unscrupulous people. Being 800 miles away from my camp and not able to be on the ground scouting the cameras seem like a great idea, never having used them and I am curious if those who are using them, Have you ever lost one due to theft?
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby mtnmutt » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 21]

twinkieman,
This is my first time experience at using trail cams. I can report back on August 17th as to whether or not my cams were stolen or not.

I can't find the post on setting up cams to prevent theft, so here are the tips from cnelk and others
    1) Set it up high 9-10' to prevent theft and prevent bears from making it a chew toy
    2) Cover pieces especially shiny pieces with either camo tape or glue on bark
    3) Cover the tree strap because thieves look for the black straps around trees
    4) Use locks

My camera 0.5 mile from the road will be setup 10' off the ground. My camera 1.5-2 miles from the road in Wilderness will likely be lower due to heavy cover (branches) and be setup on a creek where elk cross or frequent.
mtnmutt

Postby wapitibowman » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Just got back last night from an over night scout trip. Main purpose in going was to check for trails, water sources, to get a general lay of the land, and see some critters. We accomplished all of our purposes. We were able to watch a cow/calf/spike herd for a couple of hours (45+ herd). I saw the biggest muley I think I have ever seen. We found some hidden treasures. We found a nice trail up the drainage which will greatly ease our pack out of there. Good trip.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby Lefty » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I plan to set up the camera :o this week
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby rowdycwby1 » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 24]

scouted this weekend and saw 6 bulls a spike and over 20 cows totale..we hiked up a hill to glass and had elk on almost every mountasin top around us. Hoi.g back Aug.11 and scout the area and see hows its looking.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Hey Twinkieman,
I've only been using cameras for a couple of years now, but I have not had any theft problems thus far. The further off the beaten path, the safer they are going to be. Every area is different, you just have to use your judgment. I did have an odd situation last year, where a DNR worker conducting a thinning operation was "caught on camera," boy did he looked stunned in the photo! :lol: Anyways, for some odd reason, he pulled my camera off the tree and set it down. I lost a few weeks of data, and was instead replaced by 300 photos of swaying branches. Ummm . . . yeah . . . a bit miffed, but better than stolen. There is also the risk of people piggybacking on all your hardwork, by keying in on your cameras/stands/blinds, and trying to hunt around your immediate area. But such is hunting public land.

Cams are a great tool for being in multiple place at once. I'll never go back to NOT using them!
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Cows, cows, cows . . . its all about the cows so far . . . and calves! Completely opposite of last year. It will be interesting to see how it changes (if any) leading up to opening day. That's okay, I don't discrimminate. Either way, come Sept 3, papa is going to the grocery store!
cow1.jpg
cow1.jpg (193.18 KiB) Viewed 8538 times

spooky elk.jpg
spooky elk.jpg (203.26 KiB) Viewed 8538 times

PICT0055.JPG
PICT0055.JPG (173.91 KiB) Viewed 8538 times
Washington Wapiti

Postby twinkieman » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Thanks Washington Wapiti
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby FemoralArchery » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Headed up tonight for my first scouting trip ever.

Going to try and get a few digiscope pics.

Elkaholic, I may change your mind yet.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby one_elk » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Spent the best part of last week scouting a couple of different areas, boy oh boy is it ever green in the high country, plenty of sign but that’s not a big surprise. I’ll put cameras up next week…best day of August in Colorado this year is the last day of August….
one_elk

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby llewokj » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Up in the Mosquito Range in Colorado this past weekend. Lots of sign and saw 2 herds of about 200 elk each. They were up high (13,000 feet). Above tree line is really green and the elk are loving it. Heard some bugles (?) too!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375145174.368759.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375145174.368759.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby Elk_Addict23 » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 31]

llewokj - I've been seeing those same two herds! You have a tag this fall? Good luck if you do!
Elk_Addict23

First Name: Brandon
Last Name: O'Keefe

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Man, you folks are all over it, good stuff! I'll be heading out soon now & will share the findings! Still too early for me, grin! Wallow use should start picking up in two weeks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby llewokj » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Elk_Addict23 - Thanks, I do have a tag, my first bowhunt! I've hunted rifle seasons there before but this is "more better". I saw a huge "drop-tine" bull with that herd. His right side was pointing downward and had grown together.
llewokj

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby Elk_Addict23 » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 34]

llewokj - Awesome man! I have an archery tag as well and it will be my first tag in the unit! I'm really hoping the big herds get broken up before season.

That's sounds like a neat looking bull, I haven't seen that one yet but I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. Maybe we will run into each other during the hunt, I'll be driving a lifted black tundra.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375203269.994174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375203269.994174.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 8429 times

So if you see me parked at a trailhead you'll know where I'm at!

Thanks,
Brandon
Elk_Addict23

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 35]

ElkNut1 wrote:Man, you folks are all over it, good stuff! I'll be heading out soon now & will share the findings! Still too early for me, grin! Wallow use should start picking up in two weeks!

ElkNut1

Lookin' forward to seeing whatcha got!
Washington Wapiti

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby llewokj » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Elk_Addict23 wrote:llewokj - Awesome man! I have an archery tag as well and it will be my first tag in the unit! I'm really hoping the big herds get broken up before season.

That's sounds like a neat looking bull, I haven't seen that one yet but I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. Maybe we will run into each other during the hunt, I'll be driving a lifted black tundra.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375203269.994174.jpg

So if you see me parked at a trailhead you'll know where I'm at!

Thanks,
Brandon

I drive (an older) blue tundra pulling a red atv. I make my way to the wilderness border and then hoof it. If you hear some really bad bugling or cow calls, it's me. ;-)

Jeff
llewokj

Aug 10th, My Magic Time!

Postby Elk_Addict23 » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Good deal, I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm going in about 6 miles the first 10 days, going to see if I can put one down before the smoke poles get in there.
Elk_Addict23