Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Taking Turns

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Taking Turns

Postby garyMichel » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

When heading out on a hunting trip. How do you go about taking turns as the shooter when hunting with another person. We were contemplating, one day the first person gets the morning, the next person gets the evening. The next day is vice versa. Interested in your thoughts or how you approach it.
garyMichel

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Michel

Re: Taking Turns

Postby easeup » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

that system will work for you.
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Gary, that sounds reasonable! In other camps when more than a single hunter guys/gals take turns per elk encounter. Whatever the decision make it before heading into the elkwoods! As a caller stay alert because you never know when an elk will slip in from your side or backside & now all of a sudden the caller is now the shooter too! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby twinkieman » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We At the beginning of our hunt we all hunt separately and if we have an encounter we call for ourselves, however if we doubt our situations in any way we back out of the encounter. All of us are using the Elknut way, and if we back out we can usually find those elk again, go back with a caller and maximize our chances at harvesting an elk. Once one of us has an elk on the ground, he now is the official caller for our camp, once another bull is harvested, now two callers. If 2 of us do hunt together before an elk is harvested, rock, paper, scissors, has worked. The next encounter the roles reverse. In our group no one gets left out of being the shooter. But for me, being the caller and one of my friends getting a shot or harvesting an elk is just as big a thrill as actually shooting myself.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Bullnuts » 07 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hmmm. Everyone has a bow and elk tend to come in at the most unexpected times from the most unexpected direction. Since I hunt with my kids I put them out there in front and the first one to get a good shot needs to take it. If one sneaks in on me, I'm all over it.
Bullnuts

Taking Turns

Postby Herb » 07 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

We take turns on episodes, to some extent. I never worry about it too much, I like calling, and that's where the bulls are trying to get to, so I get my shots, even when taking one for the team.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Lefty » 07 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I know a father/son and a father in law/SIN teams . After the son or son in law kills their bull than dad hunts up front.
Met one fellow all he wants to do is call,.. hmmm he still ends up with an elk most years but he hunts all season
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H