Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado OTC Hunter numbers and Opening Weekend

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado OTC Hunter numbers and Opening Weekend

Postby mtnmutt » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I provided this information for someone on a another forum and I thought this may be helpful for those of you that have not been hunting CO OTC year after year. Perhaps the veteran CO OTC hunters can correct or add to this information. I am not an experienced elk hunter. I just made some observations from the first 3 years of calling for a friend (2007-2009) and my last 3 years (2010-2012) as the hunter.

The further you are hunting away from the Front Range, the less hunters you are likely to see unless you are near a high population mountain town.

If you want the CPW number of hunters year over year, go here http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tatistics.aspx

Here are my observations over 6 years in an OTC high pressure area in CO central mountains. I hunt in Wilderness or within 1.5 miles of Wilderness line. I mostly hunt 0.5 to 2.5 miles from any road. These are my observations on the Forest Service road because I rarely see hunters by hunting >0.5 mile from the road.
2007 Hunter numbers seemed strong, but you could get away from them if you went >0.5 mile from road.
2008 Hunter numbers drastically dropped from previous year. We thought that word got out that our area wasn't good to hunt. In hindsight, it may have had to do with the economy tanking. Rarely saw out of state hunters. Summer 2008 Gas prices hit record high of $4.26/gallon.
2009 Hunter numbers seemed about the same as 2008. Hardly any out of state hunters.
2010 Hunter numbers seemed lower than 2009. Out state hunters were scarce.
2011 Hunter numbers were picking up from 2010
2012 Hunter numbers picked up a bit more. Probably due to economy getting better. Closer to the numbers we saw in 2007.

2013 CPW says they have sold 4% more licenses than last year and I bet most are OTC, so hunter numbers are likely to be more than previous years. Anyone can buy a OTC tag on any day, so last minute OTC tags will increase.

Labor day weekend will be a zoo, especially since its the first time in years that it is opening weekend. Where I hunt, most locals in nearby towns will hunt for meat only so maybe they will tag out early. I used to live in a nearby mountain town and local trophy hunters in OTC during archery are rare. Locals/CO residents can easily draw nearby limited license areas on 0-1 PP for archery.

Since my OTC area is mostly Wilderness with very limited motorized Forest Service Roads, ATV traffic is much lower than more purely National Forest areas.

Do not use this year's opening weekend as a gauge on hunter numbers. The number of hunters in the field will go down after that initial weekend for my OTC area. Mid week hunting should be nice and quiet with mostly out state hunters or retired CO residents. Based on hunting opening week 2 years ago in my high pressure area, the elk will magically reappear (easier to find) 2 days after Labor day. Maybe around that Wednesday. The excessive bugling from high ridges will drop off after Labor day. Though, Opening day will be nice even with the bugling going non stop from the ridge.

If you really want to get your elk over Labor day weekend, know which direction the elk go as they get pushed. I had a 6x6 walk in front me at 35 yards on opening morning ML because I believe someone above pushed the guy out of his normal path to his bedding area. Seasoned local elk hunters had already warned me to get further in where the elk get pushed when ML starts. This may be wise advice for Labor Day weekend because it will be crowded this year.

Good Luck, have fun and do not get discouraged by what happens over Labor Day weekend/opening weekend in CO OTC areas.
mtnmutt

Re: Colorado OTC Hunter numbers and Opening Weekend

Postby cantgetdrawn » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for the analysis. So much for the boycott this year.

Good Luck everyone
cantgetdrawn

Postby bnsafe » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

im goin but that doesn't sound good, but still better than sittin at home
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

bnsafe, It is very area dependent. See if cnelk has a take on the OTCs near you. Check the CPW statistics for your GMU.

For my area, hunter numbers are more influenced by out of state hunters and limited license demands for the nearby limited license areas. Most hunters will not go >0.5 miles from roads. There are also new bowhunters that buy their very first ever bow in August, walk around opening weekend and do not comeback for the rest of the season.

I faith that you will get into elk opening weekend. Just wanted people aware so they don't let opening weekend discourage you. Be persistent and patient.
mtnmutt

Postby Trophyhill » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I hunt just west of the Sangre De Cristos and typically what I have noticed is very little pressure early as it increases towards and after muzzy season
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby cnelk » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 6]

In the OTC areas I hunt, this year will be a bit different as Labor Day Weekend is Opening Weekend.

As the people flock to the mountains to enjoy the last long weekend of the summer, it will take the elk about a day to realize the increased activity.
It is no secret that Hikers, ATVs, Motorcycles peopel do not get up very early and I will be working my way back to camp about the time they are getting fired up.

There are also plenty of Non-Motorized areas to hunt in most OTC units, other than Wilderness Areas.

I know of several places that I hunt that I can hear vehicle traffic and the elk dont seem to be real concerned about it either...

Have a Plan A.... Plan B....Plan C.... and you will be OK
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 7]

well I got a plan a, lol. lucky to have that.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

While scouting, I encountered another hunter that will be hunting my OTC area for the first time. He did not draw his limited license area that can be drawn with 0 PP for residents.

Definitely going to be an interesting opening weekend for hunter numbers.

I am going with my plan B area because there is no large areas for RV parking. In my Plan A area, hunters park down near the highway and drive their atvs up the forest service road. I saw too much human activity 0.5 - 1.5 mile into wilderness, so I am passing on that for now.

Also this past weekend, lots of RVs at that highway "RV" parking lot but hardly anyone in my Plan B area. It may also be lower in recreational users that weekend.

Plan A and Plan B just got swapped for me. I will only go to my Plan A area if I do a backcountry hunt into Wilderness or if I take the steep hike up from the forest service road through dense forest.

Good Luck to all!
mtnmutt

Postby charlie-63 » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Hello...New guy here. I've been visiting for a few months now and enjoy reading the post. Seems like a real good site to learn a lot about elk hunting. (something I know nothing about.) I'm headed to Colorado the second season in October for my first ever elk hunt. Will be staying in Craig hunting public ground. Seems I will have plenty of company.
Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable hunting season!
charlie-63

First Name: Charles
Last Name: Goodrich

Postby mtnmutt » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Charlie,
Welcome to THE elk forum.

There is a Thread topic "HEY Lurkers". You should should go there to do an intro of yourself and your hunting season.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1424&p=29038&hilit=lurkers#p16738

Good luck to you. You will become addicted.
mtnmutt

Postby bowbum » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I always hunt OTC or Leftovers because I don't know what is going on that fall when the draw deadline arrives. The last few years I have been really disappointed because the area I like to hunt and hunted several times is now a draw only area. I like this area because it is hard hunting, not very many people are willing to work that hard to get to where the animals are. There is around fifty elk that hang around this area year round, they hang tight to the dark timber only coming out in fields and water holes that are surrounded by dark timber. Most times I had this mountain all to myself, not seeing another soul for 10 days.

Last year I hunted unit 6, once I got out of earshot of all the ATV's I was so far from my rig I questioned weather I could pack an elk that far by myself. That question was answered by not seeing any elk close enough for a shot, they were very spooked.

This year I will miss Archery (daughter being born) So I am going in 3rd rifle, I haven't hunted rifle season in 15 years I am kind of scared of all that orange! Although I figure if I hunt rifle like I hunt with a bow it shouldn't be a problem filling my tag. Trying yet another new area unit 171 this time.
bowbum

First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Hambleton

Postby Herb » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

We typically hunt later in the season. Most years it is hard to find a place to park the rig when we get there. By the time we leave, we are the only ones left.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Vanish » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I really don't know if the "farther from Front Range, less hunters" thing is true. Both the Flat Tops and the Uncompahgre seem to attract a ton of out-of-state hunters. That being said, I do believe locals are more likely to stay a bit closer to home.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I like your analysis of the elk "returning back to normal" about Wednesday, after Labor day, and that is exactly how we scheduled our hunt. Rather than being in the mountains over labor day weekend, we are going in late Monday evening, setting up camp, and going to start hunting hard Tuesday-Tuesday, with that thought in mind, that the weekend after Labor Day will be much quieter than labor day weekend, and that the weekend warriors will be back in their cubicles, and hopefully we will have more area to ourselves after the holidat weekend.
Thanks for this breakdown, for someone 750 miles away, It's nice to have someone put together this kind of information for us!!!!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby mtnmutt » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Vanish makes a good point.

This past weekend I figured out a new key component: RV parking and access by RV.

My original Plan A area has lots of RV parking 6 miles below near the highway. The forest service road is 1.5 - 2 car widths wide with easy passing of another vehicle.

Plan B area has virtually no place to park an RV within 20 miles. The access road is strictly one car width and rarely a place to pass another vehicle for 10 miles on this road. Steep drop on each side of the road. This road also has very few places you can pull off and setup a tent.

Therefore, I swapped my plan a and b areas.
mtnmutt

Postby eltaco » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

mtnmutt wrote:Vanish makes a good point.

This past weekend I figured out a new key component: RV parking and access by RV.

My original Plan A area has lots of RV parking 6 miles below near the highway. The forest service road is 1.5 - 2 car widths wide with easy passing of another vehicle.

Plan B area has virtually no place to park an RV within 20 miles. The access road is strictly one car width and rarely a place to pass another vehicle for 10 miles on this road. Steep drop on each side of the road. This road also has very few places you can pull off and setup a tent.

Therefore, I swapped my plan a and b areas.

One thing worth noting on that Plan B road that you mention... make sure to keep tabs on the weather. CO has been known to have snow storms even early archery season, which would surely put you in a major pickle. If there's any chance of snow or heavy rain, consider retreating before that cliffy single width road gives out on you.

I don't mean to scare you out by any stretch... but had a buddy get pinned down by a snow storm a few years ago and it cost him $4k to get the road cleared for his truck. Rough lesson!

I guess I should also note that my elk hunting honey hole has RV parking about 6mi back with a pretty good forest service road. There's generally 0-2 other camps up there when I come in. There can be a couple cars of hikers, but the hunting pressure is minimal. I do wonder if hunters get scared off when the access is "too good". If that Plan A spot is holding more elk during your preseason scouting, don't be quick to dismiss it unless you have previously experienced heavy hunter traffic during season.
eltaco

Postby mtnmutt » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Eltaco, thank you for the words of wisdom.

I lived at 9800 ft in CO central mtns for 8 years with some fun times going over mountain passes in my little Honda civic hatchback when I could not see beyond the windshield and drove by road feel alone. One was late May during a blizzard. I wish those times to be over.

My SUV was due for tires. I once again put on wild country SUV tires that are rough riding on paved roads but are great on monsoon drenched forest service roads. Those tires got me through the recent evening flooding here in CO Springs.

Both my areas will surge with hunters for the weekend and drop off during the week. I will absolutely move if one area is not getting results. I feel good about both areas. Scouting reinforced my confidence in both areas. Both areas have multiple places or subareas that would be good.

That one road with steep dropoffs has not had the grading or gravel done yet this year. It is mostly level. I am now worried that they will do that grading next week. It is normally done in August. If I am lucky, they are doing it this week. I may call the forest service office to find out.
mtnmutt