Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

satellite phones

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

satellite phones

Postby rowdycwby1 » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm thinking about getting a sat phone for my elk hunt since we have no service incase of a emergency..do any of y'all use or have used them and can y'all recommended where or best place to get them?
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Re: satellite phones

Postby Freebird134 » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've never used a satellite phone, and probably never would. I did rent a Spot messenger last year from lowergear.com. Wives (especially my buddy's) sleep better when we have one. You could try there, but I'm not sure if they rent them or not.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby BOWNUT » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

http://www.mobal.com/satellite-phone-rental/

I have used this with no problem.
BOWNUT

First Name: john
Last Name: kehrer

Postby twinkieman » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Several in our group use a Spot, And check in when cell service becomes available. For myself, I just use an original Spot, and send out the same txt daily.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby rowdycwby1 » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys im mostly trying to get out of driving 20 miles to get service to call every 3...but that might be cheaper.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby pointysticks » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

if you can drive for service, tough to rent a phone.

but if you have to hike for service..phone rental time! i think our trout trip next year will be 14 days. for sure, i am renting a phone. if it works out, i like to split the cost between our group.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

satellite phones

Postby llewokj » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Try the Delorme InReach SE. Works great, you can text, post to twitter and FB. It also provides a shared link to a web-based map of your progress at 30 minute intervals for friends/family to check. It also has SAR/SOS capability.
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 8]

We are fortunate. We are able to get cell phone service in camp if you stand in the right spot. A few years ago we had to drive up the road a few miles, but the new cell phone towers they put in Grand Junction 4 or 5 years ago did the trick. With the Verizon Hot Spot, we are able to run our laptops through the phone wi fi. Wow! Hunting has definitely changed! :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby SOIL Hunter » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

llewokj wrote:Try the Delorme InReach SE. Works great, you can text, post to twitter and FB. It also provides a shared link to a web-based map of your progress at 30 minute intervals for friends/family to check. It also has SAR/SOS capability.

+1. I've been playing around with mine the past couple of weeks and it works great. I won't be using the twitter and FB post as I don't want everyone knowing that I'm not home.

It was my wife's pick over the SPOT. 2 way texting was a must for her. I also like that I didn't have to take an annual subscription (4 month recreational plan).
SOIL Hunter

First Name: Jerud
Last Name: Earnest

Postby Accipiter » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I bought a Find Fast PLB for emergency's because I don't like paying fees for the service. One time cost and up date your contacts with NOAA every three years for free.
Accipiter

First Name: Eric
Last Name: Van Eck