Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tips/info needed for Sundance WY area??????

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tips/info needed for Sundance WY area??????

Postby 1bigpaddle » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This is my first year of resident eligibility for elk hunting in Wy. I'm scrambling to get as much information on hunting around the bear-lodge mountain around Sundance wy. Im DIY and have hiked miles on top of miles and keep come'n up short in finding elk sign. I watch all the videos and am trying to read as much as I can. But most of the information is for hunting elk in "real" mountains of 9000ft or better.. Im going to be bow hunting elk around 5500ft on national forest lands... Any tips, or advice would be appreciated.
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny

Re: Tips/info needed for Sundance WY area??????

Postby POk3s » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'm not 100% but I THOUGHT all the units in the bear lodge mountains were Limited Entry areas....again if you've been doing you're research then you would know if there are areas open over that way under a general tag. It's steep, thick, country. Finding travel areas, saddles, and wallows might be your best bet as it's so tough to move quietly in that mountain range.
POk3s

Postby Lefty » 07 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Neat country, a little bit of everything white,tails, mulies turkeys, and you wont be sucking for air like some need to at 9, or 10,000 feet.

I would contact the local CO and ask him where the elk are,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby twinkieman » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

When talking to Conservation Officiers, and game bioloigists, ask specific questions if you can. The more detail, and the more obvious that you have put in some leg work, the more info you will receive in return.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby 1bigpaddle » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Well thanks for the tips and advice. I was out today and finally found the elk ive been looking for! 3 nice bull elk, and 2 cows...
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny