Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to Make your diaphragm calls last longer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to Make your diaphragm calls last longer

Postby Glacier Country » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Here is a tip to get the most out of your diaphragm calls. I like to keep my calls in a couple of plastic ziplock bags then I put them in a cooler on ice to keep them cold . If you keep your calls in your pickup and it is 72 degrees outside depending on certain variables the inside of your car can reach 116 degrees on a sunny day. Definitely enough to weaken the latex of your calls. Ever have a CD or DVD case get warped inside your car? Well latex does something similar and at the very least you will lose some of the high pitches of your calls. Ever have calls that sounded great and then they seemed to sound flat in a short period of time. The heat may have weakened the latex. Food for thought. Hope this helps----> Troy GCHC
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Re: How to Make your diaphragm calls last longer

Postby Trophyhill » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

IMHO there are certain diaphragms that just don't last more than a day or 2 of heavy use. I really wanted to like a certain brand that many here use but just can't get them to last like I think they should. Sure they sound great at first but quickly lose their luster. Since I'm not an engineer I can't tell you why but I have my suspicions. I've talked to several elk killers about it and it seems to be consensus among them. Thanks for the tip though. They are not Glacier calls by the way.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby easeup » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

good tip....I guess I never thought about them stretching even when I didn't use them.
easeup

Postby twinkieman » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

While we can take the steps suggested here to make our calls last longer by protecting them from heat, we can do nothing at all prior to actually possessing the call. In shipment, a box could be left in direct sunlight, the inside of delivery trucks are up to 30 degrees warmer than outside temps. I think that this is why some calls last 2 days, a month or just sound terrible the first time we make a sound with them.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby twinkieman » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

and UPS, FedEx, and the USPS and many other shipping companies, might actually have more to do with the quality of mouth diaphragm calls than we could ever hope to control on our own.
twinkieman

Postby Glacier Country » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

twinkieman wrote:While we can take the steps suggested here to make our calls last longer by protecting them from heat, we can do nothing at all prior to actually possessing the call. In shipment, a box could be left in direct sunlight, the inside of delivery trucks are up to 30 degrees warmer than outside temps. I think that this is why some calls last 2 days, a month or just sound terrible the first time we make a sound with them.

twinkieman wrote:and UPS, FedEx, and the USPS and many other shipping companies, might actually have more to do with the quality of mouth diaphragm calls than we could ever hope to control on our own.

Well, I would suggest ordering calls in the Months of November, December, January and February maybe even March!!! You can also keep your calls in the refrigerator or freezer.If you plan on keeping them for a year or more. They will definitely last longer!
I think that most people just do not realize how much the latex can break down in a delivery truck with temps in the mid 90"s in July and August.
That means the inside of a brown truck becomes an easy bake oven,and can reach temps of almost 150 degrees.
If you want to know just how hot it can get just google " how hot is it inside my car if it is 95 degrees outside?" plenty of pet friendly sites will tell you way too hot! Oh by the way the Soft coolers help to keep things like a camera and electronics up to 20 degrees cooler even without ice. Especially if you also put a blanket over it. Hope this Helps ---->Troy GCHC
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Troy, both of your suggestions are fantastic, and I do get my calls in the winter time. As you can probably guess I was a delivery driver for 28 years, and I do know about the inside temps of those trucks. The stuff I delivered could melt( ho ho's, ding dongs,choc covered donuts), however, that didn't occur until temps of above 90 degrees, unless the truck was left in direct sunlight. That being said most truck drivers know where the shade is on their route, and they use it.
twinkieman

Postby Glacier Country » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

twinkieman, your handle makes perfect sense now! I also am a driver, and my boss makes sure we do not have time to park in the shade. It is just go go go man!
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Troy, sounds like you are in a brown truck, at least that's how they are treated out here. Look forward to trying out your calls in the very near future. I'd order some now, but it's too hot. Lol. just kidding What are your 2 favorite diaphragms?
twinkieman

Postby Glacier Country » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

twinkieman, yep Brown truck.
Well I am partial to a new call for this year... Troy's Secret Weapon for bull sounds,I have called in more bulls at this point with the Orange Enrager and the Watermelon at this point though.The Watermelon is the most versatile.Well for cow sounds maybe the sweet temptation? Sweet Seduction? Too tuff to call. I have tweaked them both and am not sure which will last longer in the field. Both sound awesome. You will probably never find me without a High Heel Hottie bite call as well!! I am an admitted call junkie so I never have just one or 2 with me. I have at least 6 calls with me all of the time. I am always tweaking recipes or trying out something new. Hope this helps----> Troy GCHC
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

Postby twinkieman » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks Troy, I definitely will be changing mouth diaphragm makers, I don't care for some of the things I've seen, and heard from the maker that I am using now. I will be giving yours a try. Keep paying into that Teamster pension, since I am now a recipient. When Hostess folded I retired, and I am now doing taxidermy, and drawing my pension.
twinkieman