Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

should i lower my poundage?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby the weasel » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

hurt my bow holding shoulder a while back, still pretty sore. does any one think i should lower poudage down to help myself out? it's bottomed at 72# i was thinking 60#?
the weasel

First Name: john

Re: should i lower my poundage?

Postby ctdad » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Maybe. If you feel like or know for sure that shooting your bow at a lower poundage won't do any further damage but will help you to continue practicing, then yes. If you are concerned you may cause further damage to your shoulder by shooting, I'd consult with a dr or at least continue resting. I have started having mild shoulder issues while shooting in the last year and it is difficult to deal with for an archer.
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Depends on the injury, how did you hurt it?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mtnmutt » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I tore my bow arm's shoulder tendon January 1st and did not seek medical care for 3 months because I was very busy at work and don't care for medical care much. They told me to stop shooting. I could not reach with my arm, it hurt everyday and I lost range of motion with the arm. I turned my bow down from 50# to 47# and shot once a week and <25 arrows ignoring the advice of the doctor. Physical therapy for 12 weeks and now I am better than I was before I injured my shoulder. I am back to 50# and shooting a lot more than before my injury. Likely would have recovered faster if I stopped shooting.

I strongly suggest you go to a doctor. The faster you have it looked at, the faster you may recover. This is coming from someone who does not care to go to doctors. PT was a golden nugget for me. Learned all these great exercises that strengthened all my muscles to help prevent future injuries.

My tear has healed, but the inflammation is still there on the MRI and they want to do another cortisone shot that I am debating about. Initially, I did not do the shot. At 6 PT weeks, I hit a plateau for recovery and took the shot which put me over the hump.

Maybe all you need is a cortisone shot for inflammation or you tore something and if you don't back off you could do permanent damage. Worst case is you have bone fragments running around in there doing worst damage. Not worth gambling on. Yes, I am a hypocrite because I waited 3 months to seek medical attention.
mtnmutt

Postby LckyTylr » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I think the only person that can make that decision is you. I'd say, as mentioned above, if you can shoot without further injuring yourself, then by all means, lower your poundage and start practicing. Here's my story.

I had a stage 3 separation in my shoulder in late April of this year (tore 3 tendons in my right shoulder). I was told not to do anything that hurt more than moderately. I asked the doctor "On Who's Pain Scale?". He responded "A Teenage Girl's". So, I took my recovery very slowly. I tried to use it as much as I possibly could, but stopped short of it hurting worse than if someone were to stick a needle in between your collar bone and arm bone. About 6 weeks ago I started with a stretchy band with handles on the end. I tied one end to a column in my living room and braced myself with my bow arm just like I was shooting. I'd "draw" the string handle back just like I would my release. As I got stronger, I'd allow myself less slack line and the resistance would go up.

I started shooting my bow two weeks ago at 55 lbs because that's what I could shoot without too much discomfort. After a week of that I bumped up to 60. This week I'll bump up to 65. I have been shooting 2" groups at 30 yards with 3 arrows, so I don't feel like I'm rushing it.

It's your decision to make. I went at it with the mentality that "I REALLY want to archery hunt THIS year, but I don't want to ruin all of the seasons to come".
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

the weasel

As a newer member of the forum, you may have missed some of my posts of what happened to me last winter.
Without going into great detail, I was in a precarious situation with my draw hand by severing 8 tendons
I made it thru with 2 surgeries and lots of PT.

I also have a partial tear in my bicep tendon and partial tear in rotator cuff.
But I do know that it makes a difference if you draw your bow with your elbow up or elbow down.

Not sure of your bow and draw weight, but you are no less of a hunter by lowering the poundage in order to do what you love.
Just be sure that no more damage is done by doing so

Give it a try and good luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby welka » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

If your bow will go down to 60, you are gold. I lost the bicep tendon on my draw arm and partially tore tendons in my shoulder in my bow side. With today's high tech bows, you have plenty of KE at 60# AND if you don't drop your poundage, it WILL get worse, fast. Don't mess with a shoulder as it takes forever to heal and likely won't heal.
welka

Postby pointysticks » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

12 lb drop will require new arrows no?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby cnelk » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

pointysticks wrote:12 lb drop will require new arrows no?

Prob not
In fact better arrow flight could happen.
And it could be a waste of money once he ups the poundage in the near future
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JimKirk » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

i typically only set my bow up for 62 to 64 lbs. easier to draw and shoot consistently and easier to draw when the shooting moment at an animal comes around. I dialed back down several years ago from pulling 70 to 75# and haven't really looked back.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I tore my bicep on my right arm in 1995. 2 screws now hold it in place. My collar bone joint is floating and can not be repaired. Bone was shaved from shoulder to reduce ware on rotator cuff tendon. I started shooting 58# several years ago due to that injury and have had no problem taking elk with that draw weight. 3 out of the last 5 bulls were complete pass through. If your bows specs are adjustable down to 60#, and your Dr. approves that you can safely shoot without further injuring yourself, then do not worry about the lower bow weight. Main part is your health and ability to shoot with minimum discomfort and no further damage. Only you and your Dr. can answer that question. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 12]

65# here & no penetration issues at 27-1/2" draw.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Bowtech Insanity, pass thoughs at 61 lbs. 29" draw. Also weasel, get your problem checked out, this is your year!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby pointysticks » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 14]

66 here..my next bow will more than likely be a 60lb limb bow. altho, i heard a 70lb elite is pretty smooth. we will see. love to keep all my same arrows.

looks like all the high poundage guys are over in archery talk ;)..hahaha.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby the weasel » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 15]

stupid i know but i will wait till after season to see my Doc. (don't want bad news, or give the wife even more reason to keep me from the hunt!)
it's not a macho thing at all for me, my bow goes that far and i can shoot comfortable at that for a long time. it's more of "what can i do to be able to shoot this year"!

i shoot an 08 bowtech patriot II (made for sportsmans whse.)
29 1/2" carbon express mayhems
100gr. ultimate steels
72# at 286 fps.

not too sure how or when i hurt it. it aches constantly but i have full range of motion. but it "pops" every so often like my knees do ;). so i'm kinda thinking pulled/torn muscle with a little bit of tendonitis....?

i also do JIU JITSU 3 nights a week, so it could be from that. (however i have not made it to class in a little over a month now..)
so i think i'll drop it down this week and see.......... thanks guys!
the weasel

Postby elkmtngear » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I would drop it down.

I made the mistake of shooting /hunting one season many years ago, after a shoulder injury, with a 70 pound compound (65% letoff). My shoulder haunts me ever since.

Give the shoulder a chance to heal as completely as possible. It's all I can do to pull 65 lbs. these days.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby the weasel » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 17]

well good news (i guess) went down to local shop and dropped it down to 55# and shot 5-6 rounds of 3 arrows. wasn't comfortable but i could do it. shot pretty good... a little low and right. so on vacation starting wednesday A.M. so when i get back i will go back down and try it again and adjust accordingly. feel better knowing i might be able to pull something off this season. trying to not over do it, so will only shoot a couple quick rounds a week untill season. something is better than watching animals walk bye and wishing i could draw!! :roll: 8-)
the weasel

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 18]

That's good don't over do it. My wife loves to shoot, she hasn't been able to for three years now. And last week she was able to barley pull 35 pds. and she was at 50. Me I quit for the day as soon as my groups open up instead of getting better. Good luck.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave