Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

7X7 Down!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

7X7 Down!!!!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

The response came quick, and it came LOUD! We had closed the gap on the obvious herd bull by skirting the dense alder field, dropping on the north side of the finger ridge into a gully, which my partner and I borderline ran down to get within what I thought would be 60 to 70 yards from the beast. I set Tim up next to a couple of small sub-alpine firs and I quickly got into position on the other side of the small draw at a 45 degree angle behind and to the right of him. What happened next could have been right out of Elknut’s playbook. Oh yeah, I took the “threat” to the bull as loud and as aggressive as I could muster. The poor cow I impersonated was really in a bad state of affairs, obviously, being hooked hard away from her group…I immediately followed the distressed cow rant with an aggressive scream and short series of beckoning chuckles. I hadn’t finished crashing the dead pine limb against the alder I was set up by before something very large and very pissed off over that small ridge came completely unglued……. The response came quick, and it came LOUD! To this point we hadn’t seen the bull we were pursuing although by the thumping grunts we heard from up on the pack trail, he was a horse. He bugled and grunted as he came over the ridge at an angle from Tim and straight at me! The rack was all we both saw for what seemed like several seconds as the 7X7 strode over the small finger ridge. I drew back as soon as the rack started to appear, ready to throw out a popping grunt with my voice to stop Bullwinkle for a shot.. As I kept my 30, then 20 yard pin on the bull's chest I realized I probably didn’t have a shot I was comfortable with as the bull was moving somewhat side to side as he came towards me.. No worries… In an instant, the bull stopped and bugled pretty much in my face… as he dipped his enormous rack over his back. A milli-second later, Tim launched a perfect strike that buried the broad head to the fletches into the bull’s side. As Tim and I settled down and started the marking/tracking process, neither of us could believe the whole scenario happened in less than 5 minutes from the time we were up on the pack trail……. Dang it! The alarm’s going off… its 0530, time to get up for work, and I’m still four weeks away from my elk season.

Almost there guys and gals. Just wanted to keep you thinking “elk” :).. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck in your hunt whenever you head out....
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 7X7 Down!!!!

Postby rowdycwby1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

thats just not right man! Atleast yurs is better than mine...this weekend we watched a 6x6 for about 45 mins I dreamed I shot him snd then fell and broke his horns carring out needles to say I woke upabd almost cried.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

My dream is a little bit different, and I will shorten it a great deal. I find the bull of my dreams, nothing works out right. He comes in, no shot, he comes in as a hot cow also comes in, he leaves with her. You get the picture. Every time I hunt this bull I can find him, and I hunt him daily with no success. Now its Sept. 30, 6:00 p.m., The bull responds comes in to 10 yards and a perfect broadside shot is taken. My arrow disappears through the bull, and he starts to run off, blood is visible, I call he stops, turns back and gives his last bugle as he goes down. The best part of this dream is that I got to hunt every available moment until the very end of the season.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby pointysticks » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

weird..my dream, i went to a party and they had a "leg check"..so i did what everyone was doing and i checked in my legs. the lady took my legs and handed me a claim ticket with a #6 on it. we shuffled around the party, and when it came to leave..i went to pick up my legs. she takes my ticket and give me a pair of legs. i move away to get out of the way, and fit my legs. they dont fit!! and they are women's legs..

oh no, i realize the lady read my ticket wrong. she read it upside down!! she gave me #9's legs!! ........

no more black bean chimichangas for dinner. ever. :D

(the above dream was stolen from an episode of CHEERS)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

LMAO! I was sitting on the edge of my seat, hands in a cold sweat reading. Thanks Phantom!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby POk3s » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

That might just make me go pull the card on my trail cam.....

As for the legs thing.....what the!
POk3s

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

POk3s wrote:That might just make me go pull the card on my trail cam.....

As for the legs thing.....what the!

Me too! Oh wait . . . it's only been 3 days lol
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby easeup » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

take a lap phantom.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

easeup wrote:take a lap phantom.

Roger that. Heading out now coach ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

7X7 Down!!!!

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

You should do more of these RJ. I always enjoy them.

I had a dream not long ago that I was set up on the same crossing I got my bull on last year and an even bigger 6X with cows came through. He stopped at 42 yards at my nervous grunt, with a short pine blocking his vitals.

But, the pine was between us. I checked the arrow path via my 20 yard pin, settled, and released. The arrow arced over the pine and hit the bull in the boiler room. He was a nice bull with cool whale tails.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby easeup » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have also noticed myself daydreaming about stuff such as this lately.
My apologies phantom.
easeup