Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pet Peeves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pet Peeves

Postby Mikeha33 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Here's a question for some of you guys, who are veterans to elk hunting, that have taken first time elk hunters into the woods with you.
What is something(s) that peeve you, that new guys do or have done, in camp, or while hunting that really get your goat? September will be my first time going, and I want to make sure I am on my best behavior and display proper etiquette, follow any unwritten rules, and don't step on anybody's toes. I'm not asking for a rundown on manners, but just something that someone has done in the past that may have irked you a little bit???
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby cnelk » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Elk camp requires a lot of work.
If you don't pitch in or help, that's a real good way to piss off veteran hunters.
Sure, this may sound like common sense, but believe me, common sense is limited in some people.
Bottom line...
If you have to be told what to do instead of seeing what needs to be done, there is gonna be an issue...

Out in the woods is a different story.
Just be sure you listen to your 'coach' .... Call when they say call... Stay put when they say 'stay here'...
Draw when they say 'draw now'....
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

1. Physical conditioning for the type of elk hunting planned/involved with is huge! Nothing really can prepare folks for the elevation changes and oftentimes miles of up, down, up again, and side hilling required for elk hunting, but being in the best shape possible makes an enormous difference in many facets of the hunt and hopefully, the pack out. If you die of exhaustion down in a steep, Idaho hole, your friend will have no choice but to quarter you up before he packs you out.
2. Gotta learn to understand that “when it’s over, it’s over”. Many newer elk hunters have a hard time leaving elk to head back up the steep hillside to another area. Once you’ve been busted (especially by an elk’s nose), that hunt is probably over and time to call it a morning and head out and on to another area over the next ridge, saddle, perhaps a long distance away. You’ll come back to that area a few days later. The old salts know that chasing spooked elk (especially with archery equipment) is really just mountain exercise.
3. Patience and attentiveness. Listen to your seasoned elk hunting buddy and trust in his/her wisdom. It won't make sense sometimes.
4. Adhere to the daily game plan/regimen. Wake up when it’s time to wake up; be ready to leave when it’s time to hit the trail; get your gear/next day’s provisions ready and packed the night before. No scrambling in the morning.
5. Work on your calling well before season and be prepared to make necessary, realistic elk noises when needed. Study cold calling setup methods.
6. Walk far away from camp to do nature’s business.
7. Bring the finest bourbon you can afford and share with your seasoned elk hunting friend.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Taking someone elk hunting, and telling them elk country where I hunt is very steep, and they need to be in physical shape. It takes time and work to get into proper condition, and if you are going to hunt elk, you need this conditioning. Nothing peeves me more than having to wait on someone who didn't get into shape. Good thing for me is it only happens once.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby twinkieman » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Phantom16 wrote:1. Physical conditioning for the type of elk hunting planned/involved with is huge! Nothing really can prepare folks for the elevation changes and oftentimes miles of up, down, up again, and side hilling required for elk hunting, but being in the best shape possible makes an enormous difference in many facets of the hunt and hopefully, the pack out. If you die of exhaustion down in a steep, Idaho hole, your friend will have no choice but to quarter you up before he packs you out.
2. Gotta learn to understand that “when it’s over, it’s over”. Many newer elk hunters have a hard time leaving elk to head back up the steep hillside to another area. Once you’ve been busted (especially by an elk’s nose), that hunt is probably over and time to call it a morning and head out and on to another area over the next ridge, saddle, perhaps a long distance away. You’ll come back to that area a few days later. The old salts know that chasing spooked elk (especially with archery equipment) is really just mountain exercise.
3. Patience and attentiveness. Listen to your seasoned elk hunting buddy and trust in his/her wisdom. It won't make sense sometimes.
4. Adhere to the daily game plan/regimen. Wake up when it’s time to wake up; be ready to leave when it’s time to hit the trail; get your gear/next day’s provisions ready and packed the night before. No scrambling in the morning.
5. Work on your calling well before season and be prepared to make necessary, realistic elk noises when needed. Study cold calling setup methods.
6. Walk far away from camp to do nature’s business.
7. Bring the finest bourbon you can afford and share with your seasoned elk hunting friend.

Second biggest peeve is having to tell someone about Phantom 16 #7 :lol:
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby mtnmutt » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I am NOT a veteran elk hunter, but this irked me. Do not doze off on cold call setups and learn to make slow fluid movements. I practice on hummingbirds at my window bird feeder. Its fun to see what I can get away with.

For my first 3 years elk hunting, I was only the caller for the hunter. The hunter would doze off on our cold calling setups, jerk their head up from their nap as the crunching noise got closer, thus off went the elk.

After 3 seasons of that, I bought my own bow for the 4th season. During the 4th season more dozing and head jerking. On season 5, I became a solo hunter. My one shot opportunity came on my 4th season opening morning when I was alone and called a 4x4 over.

BTW: I myself made a ton of mistakes my first 6 seasons out there that would had irked all the veterans on this site.

By asking the question, I believe your hunting partners will recognize that you made an extra effort to be a good hunting partner.
mtnmutt

Postby one_elk » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I would agree with cnelk, that helping around camp with the mundane chores is big, the rest of it to me is pretty minor it is your first elk trip you are there to learn and have fun, not to be a bucket full of stress, worrying about what you are doing right and wrong. You will indeed do things “right” and you will learn from the other things you do. Go have fun and help out when you can and pay attention...….
one_elk

Postby easeup » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

cnelk wrote:Elk camp requires a lot of work.
If you don't pitch in or help, that's a real good way to piss off veteran hunters.
Sure, this may sound like common sense, but believe me, common sense is limited in some people.
Bottom line...
If you have to be told what to do instead of seeing what needs to be done, there is gonna be an issue...

Out in the woods is a different story.
Just be sure you listen to your 'coach' .... Call when they say call... Stay put when they say 'stay here'...
Draw when they say 'draw now'....

This is well stated.

In fact all of the irks stated are good.
Another one that wears me out is a hunter that cant sit still. they are the same ones that don't know animal behavior or how to be quiet walking.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Im a solo hunter for elk
As the guy that takes a lot of newbies goose hunting I have a few pet peeves. I havent had many problems most of the guys that ask to hunt with me I tell them what is expected before hand and they respect that.
I havent had any safety or gun handling issues

People being late and not dressing for warmth is a problem. Most big game hunters dont know how to dress for goose hunting.

"If you're not early,.. you're late"
If you're late Ill be gone.
You dont treat "my" goose decoys like you treat your duck decoys.
I hate general cell phone conversations. during the hunt,.. yeah yu can call your mom, dad, brother, sister, grandad, best friend to share the excitement , but dont call your girl to make plans and play kissey face over the phone
I gave a time we would pick up if we havent limited out. A slow day isnt an excuse to go home early if the flight didnt happen the first hour
If its going to be a longr distance day hunt, you make the lunch, and I already told you the hunt and gas are on me, just lunch, and make good sandwiches , no PBJ
Laying in a ground blind is going to be cold if you dont dress properly,..
Wear packs , 2000 grams of thnsulate, or electric socks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I think my greatest peeve was when I was guiding a young rifle hunter several years ago. We were sitting on a ridge glassing elk. When I looked his way, he was playing with the trigger on his rifle. So I said, "Hey! Don't do that"! And he replied, " That's what that other guide told me yesterday". DUH!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby six » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I guess I've been pretty lucky. My only pep peev I've experienced while elk hunting happened last year. I asked a long time friend if he wanted to tag along on a bow hunt. He is NOT a bow hunter so he would be carrying a muzzleloader. We had agreed I would let him hunt with me for a couple days and I would show him the ropes. He had never hunted elk only whitetail. Well we hunted together for a couple days and didn't see anything. I told him not to worry and that 2 guys make twice as much noise and movement. We hunted a couple more days by ourselves and I found some elk. My buddy had reverted back to his whitetail tactics by hunting open fields close to the road. Needless to say he wasnt seeing any elk. On the fifth day he said I might as well just go with you. I said OK and he went with me again. When I tried to critique some noise coming from his pack he said I got mad at him. In hind site I was probably upset, but not about the pack.

Thanks guys Ive been stewing on this all year. This year he will be hunting by himself or with someone else. Thanks for letting me vent i feel better now.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Swamp Buck » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

When hunting with group, everyone needs to be on the same page, have the same plan, and be on the same schedule. I can't stand waiting for people. This guy needs to stop and eat, filter water, go to the bathroom, take off clothes, put clothes on, fix his boots, move stuff on his pack, maybe we should go this way, or that way. Not being on the same page with the same game plan or having a plan at all will only lead to frustration and bad attitudes, which will lead to a bad trip and experiance for everyone, and no elk.

My advise is to be a shadow, do what they do when they do it.
Swamp Buck

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Z Barebow » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Although not a pet peeve, I guess this is a way to prevent getting ticked.

Be upfront well before the hunt and spell out expectations and how it will unfold. There are some absolute rules.

When someone kills, all hunting is stopped until that animal is back at the truck. (I archery hunt so spoiling is a huge concern).

How long is the hunt? Spell it out in days and when you will leave. NO LEAVING EARLY! Only ways I am leaving early are if I have killed and partner doesn't want to hunt any more or via ambulance.

Sharing meat- If one kills, do you split the meat? Work it out before hand.

Will you hunt as a team to start with and then go out on your own? What is the expectation of the newbie to call? Do you expect to take turns on setups? etc.

No spooning! LOL!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 14]

"Sharing meat- If one kills, do you split the meat? Work it out before hand."

Z Barebow makes a point that I had not considered. Is splitting meat between partners if only 1 person kills common? I hadn't even considered that. If I kill, should I, and if so, how much? And butchering fees??
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby cnelk » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Me and my buddies dont split meat.
But us locals also have other elk hunts lined up too.

I almost always have meat leftover from the year before.
And if my NR buddies dont connect, I send them home with all of that if I have an elk when they leave
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Herb » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Here's a couple that got under my skin one year. Took two new fellas, told them countless times to be in shape, the little trek up to our base camp did them in, the steeper elk country caused them to stay in camp two days to recover. Second, they couldn't shoot their bows wearing a pack or with the quiver attached. Every set up, pack off, quiver off, SLOW, then later back tracking to find the pack and quiver that got left behind in the middle of the action. Keep your gear on and ready to be on the move.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I am pretty easy going and don't have a lot of pet peeves, but here are a few. Help out around camp a little. Be fair about buying groceries and other things you use. If I put you in a stand. stay there, and don't wander off. Be ready to go hunting and stay out all day, or all morning if we will meet for lunch. Be punctual. I like honest questions and don't worry about them being dumb. I will treat you as totally ignorant. That is not because I think you are stupid. It is because I don't want you to miss out on anything important. Humor me a little there. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 18]

1. Helping out around camp is a big one. Unless you're paying your 'guide' to cook and clean for you, you need to pitch in and make it happen - your mother doesn't work here.
2. Being safe. WW's kid with the trigger makes what hair I have stand up on end.
3. Being quiet. Some people like to talk but unless we're in camp or in the truck, SHUT UP!!! It's nothing personal, but I'd like to see an elk on this trip and don't necessarily want to hear about your other hunts while we're in the woods.
4. DO NOT sling an arrow past me because you think you have a better shot at the bull in front of me than I do.
5. Shower and change clothes. If I can smell you then the elk can too.
6. Do NOT spend more time drinking than hunting. I won't tolerate a drunk in my camp and you'll find yourself sitting alone by the fire while I'm hunting.
7. Control your emotions. It's not all about the kill - yes, that's a big part of it - but don't get all cry baby on me if we blow an opportunity.
8. Do NOT act like a TV hunter and start fist pumping and screeching if you get an animal on the ground. You can be excited but respect the animal you just killed.
9. Be competent with your weapon.
10. Bring cookies. I like eating them and you'll get a lot of mileage out of me if you offer me some while we're in the woods. Homemade peanut butter with M&Ms is my fav.
Bullnuts

Postby Slow1 » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 19]

This is a good topic lots of good info.
For me a few things
1. If I put you out front to be the shooter DON’T CALL I want the elk to hang up 50 yards from me not you. If I do my job right you will be shooting in self defense. ;)
2. I would much rather you didn’t take a shot you weren’t sure about vs flinging an arrow on a maybe. If the bull isn’t spooked bad he’s not going that far we can come back in a few days. If he has an arrow stuck in him or even slightly wounded he’s gone!
3. Learn to call well it’s nice to have some call for me too.
Slow1

First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Jones

Postby Moose-head » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Be on time and know what equipment you might need. Most other hunters will have stuff thgat they can loan you, but they have to know to bring it.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby ferris bugler » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I don't take that many new hunters with me anymore because of a few reasons.

1. Keep your expectations in check. You may not kill something your first year.
2. Don't expect to be guided. I'm sure your buddies will try to get you set up out in front of them, but try to offer them an opportunity to be the shooter as well. The only way to learn how to call is to try it. I'm sure they would appreciate it if you offer to be the caller. And if they don't trust you to call at least you offered.
3. Don't tell anyone where they take you and don't hunt there without them in the future. This makes me more PO'd than anything. Find a new spot to share with them instead.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 22]

ferris bugler wrote:I don't take that many new hunters with me anymore because of a few reasons.

1. Keep your expectations in check. You may not kill something your first year.
2. Don't expect to be guided. I'm sure your buddies will try to get you set up out in front of them, but try to offer them an opportunity to be the shooter as well. The only way to learn how to call is to try it. I'm sure they would appreciate it if you offer to be the caller. And if they don't trust you to call at least you offered.
3. Don't tell anyone where they take you and don't hunt there without them in the future. This makes me more PO'd than anything. Find a new spot to share with them instead.

#3 is spot on! I've had guys who I thought were friends show back up in my spots with a bunch of their buddies, hunt the same areas that I showed them, and pretty much push me off my grounds. Anyone I take is sworn to secrecy. Break the code and you're dead to me.
Bullnuts

Postby under H2O hunter » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I really enjoy taking new hunters... Especially girls and youngsters... Both of them make plenty of mistakes but that's the fun for me. That being said here is my view of things to do or not to do.
1. Ask what your cost share is and have it ready when they ask for it. Nothing worse then a cheap person.
2. Be ready for anything and don't complain. If you're asked to do something, do it. Remember you're learning, not teaching.
3. If your in a group and someone gets an animal down. Its everyone's job to pitch in and get that animal out, so don't get bent out of shape if you lose a day of hunting to pull someones animal out of the woods.
4. Respect the woods,animals,other hunters,and yourself at all times.
5. If someone takes you to their "Honey Hole" Its theirs not yours so don't invite yourself or others to it later. Go find your own "Honey Hole". They took you there to teach you something.
6. When the hunts over ask what you can do to help clean up. Just cause the hunt is over doesn't mean that gear doesn't need to be cleaned and put away properly.
7. Lastly.... You CAN'T over use the words "THANK YOU'
under H2O hunter

First Name: James