Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Roan Plateau vs Flat Tops Wilderness

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Roan Plateau vs Flat Tops Wilderness

Postby Warren1726 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello all. I'm an avid Whitetail hunter in KY. I have some elk ?'s and was sent here from Archerytalk.

Well, I'm resigned to the fact I will not be drawing a KY elk tag anytime soon. So my brother and I are planning to do a OTC DIY either sex archery hunt in Colorado next year.

I've been doing a lot of research and I think we will do either the Roan Plateau or the Flat Tops Wilderness. This will be our first elk hunt so we no next to nothing. We are both young 26 and 30 and in great physical condition, except for the living a sea level part.

So any help in deciding between the two and any other advice would be much appreciated, including unit advice, thanks everyone in advance!
Warren1726

First Name: Warren
Last Name: Thomas

Re: Roan Plateau vs Flat Tops Wilderness

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

First of all, welcome to "the elk forum" Warren. Glad to see you made it over. You're welcome at our camp. I'll let some of the Colorado cats answer your question as I have no experience in the Centennial State. Feel free to dig around in the Elknut Tips and Clips forum on top, and, the Archived Tips.. Lots of good information for new elk hunters. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby easeup » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

flip a coin. either will provide you what's needed to get started - just go. there is no magic place out there you are going to just walk in to.
easeup

Postby baddaddy » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Check with the biologist for both areas. I believe the elk on the Roan will head off the top onto the private gas leases when pressured. I would opt for the flat tops.
baddaddy

Postby Warren1726 » 07 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys, i don't want to regret the decision of hunting areas, of course once we get out there I think I'll love either one. :)
Warren1726

First Name: Warren
Last Name: Thomas