Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk associating with creeks?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Daydreamer » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

How do elk associate with creeks in general? Do they shy away due to the noise of running water, dependent on other water sources, only visit to drink??? Any thoughts? Worth it to set up near or find ambush sites on trails leading to?
Daydreamer

Re: Elk associating with creeks?

Postby Trophyhill » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

They will bed and feed in creek bottoms if no one is bothering them
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby six » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I personally shy away from noisey creeks. I like to be able to hear elk bugles. The roar of the creek covers up bugles you could be hearing. I have found several areas that hold elk near creeks though.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Creeks have water and elk need water. Creek bottoms are oftentimes very cool which one would think are an elk magnet, particularly during the hot weather surrounding the rut; "normally" not so. Steep creek canyon bottoms can be very noisy which is why you may see elk trails cutting across the creek from side to side but normally won't encounter (or see significant sign of) wapiti hanging out there for very long. Elk like to be where they can see, hear, or smell potential danger which is why they won’t hang out too long in bottoms of canyons or steep draws as their sense of sight, hearing, and smell are greatly diminished. Solid trails going from feed to bed or vice-versa in these steeper stream areas may be a consideration for an ambush site but a hunter’s ability to hear incoming game is important as well (loud creek = diminished ability to hear). A slower moving stream in a relatively flat area (meadow, park like area, or predominately flat bottom in a large basin) can be an elk magnet as the elk can use all their senses to detect danger and food/water may be plentiful there. All said, they will more often than not, leave these flat areas shortly after daylight to head up the hillsides to bed. Just my rambling Thursday morning thoughts.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Daydreamer » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought for sure.
Daydreamer

Postby planebow » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

In the area I hunt it is very open country. Most of the creeks are dry. The elk use these for travel corridors and also bed in the brush on the south side of the creek.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard