Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hicking in

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hicking in

Postby rowdycwby1 » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

They day before opening day me abd my hunting partner plan on hicking in so were on the middle if mountain and work our way out the next couple of day's to get away from roads and since its going to be labor day weekend. Im wondering should we stay low then go up at the end of thay day or stay at the top and slowlymake our way. We just kind of plan on walking till we find a good spot or its almost dark.. aslo the hil runs parallel with a road so we're ki da hopeing road hunters will push them over the top were we will be.. Any advice with our plan or mybe a better idea woukd be great..Me and my buddy are both new to bow and elk hunting so all the help we can get is very welcome!
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Re: Hicking in

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

About how far will you be hiking in before opening day?

General rule of thumb I follow is thermals go up in the morning and down in the evening. So I work the top to start the day and then work the bottom to finish. But in Oregon, thermals never play fair! :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby rowdycwby1 » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

We're thinking 4-6 miles off the road...tge srea as lots of open area due to a fure back in 2000 but also blenty of heavy timber.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Remember that just because your 4-6 miles in doesn't mean you will encounter elk. Make sure to have at least plan A - F and be prepared to adjust. It is possible that you'll find more elk 1/2 off the main. Unless it's extreme, don't worry about hunting pressure.

Just my 2-cents.

jf
JohnFitzgerald