Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Funky Tasting Elk Meat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Funky Tasting Elk Meat

Postby Bowtech3dhunter » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So I have a question for all you elk guys out there. I've had elk meat before and it's been delicious. BUT, Last year my cousin shot a bull in Wyoming and the meat was horrible. When you cooked it, it smelled like a rutting bull. I mean it was nasty, so bad that neither of us could eat it and believe me we hate not eating elk meat.

Here's the story. He shot it late in the afternoon, and made a bad shot (hit it high), and he couldn't stalk into get another arrow in it. So basically he ended up waiting for it to die. It took about an hour. We went back to camp had dinner and then headed back out later to field dress it. The next morning we drove up to it and boned it out and put it in the cooler. It was probably in the low 50's that night.

So what went wrong?? Was it the fact that it took a long time to die, and all the adrenaline made the meat bad? Was it a testosterone issue? Did the meat get too hot? I can't afford this to happen again so any tips or previous experience with this same issue would be greatly appreciated.
Bowtech3dhunter

Re: Funky Tasting Elk Meat

Postby Bowhunter » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't think it was waiting till it died. Lying all night even though gutted at50 degrees is bad. The skin will hold heat in, You need to at least quarter it and hang it to cool that night.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I only had one elk that tasted like crap

This guy made a bad rifle shot on a calf. Late season. Lost the trail
He came back to camp to get the 'hound dog' [me]

I picked up the trail and tracked that elk for over a mile before we caught up to it and he shot it again.

I believe adrenaline and shock played a big role in the bad taste
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby jensenrw.2000 » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Gutting an elk is not adequate for cooling even if there's snow on the ground and it's below zero, they're too well insulated, the skin must come off! Breaking it into quarters is better. 50 degrees is not very cold and while gutting only may be ok for deer or smaller bodied animals, larger animals like moose and elk will retain heat and not cool adequately and you'll get that funky taste that some call "bone sour". Always break it down as soon as you can at least into quarters! Try the gutless method next time, you'll have it broken down and cooling in less time than it took you to gut it. The meat will be delicious!
jensenrw.2000

First Name: rob
Last Name: jensen

Postby Bullnuts » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've smelled funky elk meat before and agree with you, it's not palatable. Try soaking it overnight in milk. A lot of guys I know do this to get the gamey flavor our of venison and it works good. I'm not sure if it's the enzymes in the milk or if the milk just acts like baking powder and absorbes the odor, but it does work good.
Bullnuts

Postby Bowtech3dhunter » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for all the help guys.
Bowtech3dhunter