Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you subscribe to any hunting magazines or is print dead?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Huntography » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

800-whitetail-deer-muleys-elk-hunting-magazines-huntography.jpg
800-whitetail-deer-muleys-elk-hunting-magazines-huntography.jpg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 6066 times

I've been collecting hunting magazines for over 25 years. I used to have a huge colection and when we moved it almost seemed like I needed a truck just for the magazines so they had to go ;(

But, for the last 5 years or so, I've started to collect them again.

Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because it's a habit that has stayed with me from my childhood baseball card and comic book collecting days.

With so much digital media consumption and creation on my part, it's kind of nice to just flip some pages.

Yes, in most part, traditional print is dead but in the outdoor industry, it seems to be thriving? Am I wrong on that point?

Anyone else collect hunting magazines?

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Re: Do you subscribe to any hunting magazines or is print de

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I use to be a big time coon hunter ........ had a lot of dogs back when I moved from home back in 77...1977 that is. Still have all my Full Cry magazines in boxes in the attic. Also my Fur-Fish and Game. Outdoor life....Field and Streams. The more recent years I have all my trapping magazines and horn and western magazines. Also kept just about every catalog from sporting good companys... like Cabelas ( I have some of their first ones ever).. Bass pro...trapping supply companys. Don't know why. Maybe I'll be on a TV show someday...... Not an outdoor hunting show........but an outdoor HOARDERS show.... :lol:
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Postby fm » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I only get two in the mail. Bugle and North American Hunter. But when I see one on the stand that has something I like I pick it up. My wife says I need to get rid of some of mine,so yes I have to many to. I even take some of the ones I have not looked at for a while with me to camp.Everyone in camp reads them.
fm

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Just Bugle now. Had the two newer, elk mags going for awhile but just back to the old stand by currently. One of the founders of Bugle was from my home town in MT and involved with starting up the magazine in the early 80s. What a vision these guys had way back then.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trophyhill » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Most mags that I've seen are like a hunting show on tv. Too much advertisement. I don't subscribe
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby eriks. » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I got my first subscription when I was 12 (Outdoor Life). Then I subscribed to Field and Stream with money earned working for my dad picking cleaning up jobsites. It was in these magazines that I first saw a pack string of horses with loaded panniers heading into the mountains. The next set of pics was of wall tents and campfires and the next was of a fellow standing over an elk he had shot. The last was the pack string going back out with antlers tied on. Magic! That was 34 years ago and I've held onto the dream of going.

That also has kept me helping the outdoor mags in business. Right now I get Bugle, Extreme Elk and Bowhunter. I have every issue of Bowhunter from 1984 until up into the 2000's and then I got tired of the how thin they had become on stories and thick on ads. I really need to get rid of them but they are in the attic and really not taking up important room. Wow, I just reread that last sentence. My name is Erik and I'm a hoarder. :D
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby no limits » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

extreme elk
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby dapper » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I get several. But I let my subscriptions run out and then I wait for them to really lower the price and when it gets to a buck or just over a subscription, I renew.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby firementl23 » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I don't any more because is all the same and more and more advertising.
firementl23

First Name: david
Last Name: comiskey

Postby twinkieman » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Bugle, Fair Chase, and American Hunter.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Huntography » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 11]

NebrCatMan wrote:I use to be a big time coon hunter ........ had a lot of dogs back when I moved from home back in 77...1977 that is. Still have all my Full Cry magazines in boxes in the attic. Also my Fur-Fish and Game. Outdoor life....Field and Streams. The more recent years I have all my trapping magazines and horn and western magazines. Also kept just about every catalog from sporting good companys... like Cabelas ( I have some of their first ones ever).. Bass pro...trapping supply companys. Don't know why. Maybe I'll be on a TV show someday...... Not an outdoor hunting show........but an outdoor HOARDERS show.... :lol:

That would be an interesting show :)

Some of those older mags are classics for sure.

Rudy
Rudy

Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby Huntography » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

fm wrote:I only get two in the mail. Bugle and North American Hunter. But when I see one on the stand that has something I like I pick it up. My wife says I need to get rid of some of mine,so yes I have to many to. I even take some of the ones I have not looked at for a while with me to camp.Everyone in camp reads them.

I love getting Bugle and NAH as well.

When I was a kid in my fathers deer camp, some of guys used to bring all their latest Outdoorlife and Field and Stream mags for me to read while they all played cards. That really helped get me more interested in hunting at that early age.

My kids like looking at mine. The tradition continues.

Rudy
Rudy

Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby Huntography » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Phantom16 wrote:Just Bugle now. Had the two newer, elk mags going for awhile but just back to the old stand by currently. One of the founders of Bugle was from my home town in MT and involved with starting up the magazine in the early 80s. What a vision these guys had way back then.

Getting Bugle is a great benefit of supporting the RMEF.

Vision indeed. Pioneers I'd say.

Rudy
Rudy

Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby Huntography » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Trophyhill wrote:Most mags that I've seen are like a hunting show on tv. Too much advertisement. I don't subscribe

You are absolutely right. This is why I think hunting and outdoor magazines are thriving - cheaper for advertisers to reach their market than with a TV ad.

And with so many advertisers, I'm guessing many hunting magazines are profitable.

But for the hunter/ reader, less informative content and more ads lessons the experience.

I may become much more selective with what mags I get and how often.

Rudy
Rudy

Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby Huntography » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 15]

eriks. wrote:I got my first subscription when I was 12 (Outdoor Life). Then I subscribed to Field and Stream with money earned working for my dad picking cleaning up jobsites. It was in these magazines that I first saw a pack string of horses with loaded panniers heading into the mountains. The next set of pics was of wall tents and campfires and the next was of a fellow standing over an elk he had shot. The last was the pack string going back out with antlers tied on. Magic! That was 34 years ago and I've held onto the dream of going.

That also has kept me helping the outdoor mags in business. Right now I get Bugle, Extreme Elk and Bowhunter. I have every issue of Bowhunter from 1984 until up into the 2000's and then I got tired of the how thin they had become on stories and thick on ads. I really need to get rid of them but they are in the attic and really not taking up important room. Wow, I just reread that last sentence. My name is Erik and I'm a hoarder. :D

Erik, it's amazing how images can be so powerful.

I like the images too. They were a big reason I enjoyed those magazines at such an early age and till today.

That's some collection! I bet those earlier issues had much less ads and more substance.

Your only hoarding if you can't see the other side of the room :)

Rudy
Rudy

Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby eriks. » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Rudy, I think you sir, are an enabler! But I don't mind someone telling me I'm not a hoarder ( I can see over the top of the pile).

Without a doubt the early issues were more feature than ads. It's really irritated me at how much space is required to put one out. Then there was a couple of issues of Bowhunter last year that had a great big insert from the Outdoor Channel hawking all of their shows!

I'm a bit of a cheapskate though and refuse to pay the asking price for a subscription to some of the mags and wait until they offer them deeply discounted. I'll pay $7 a year but not $20 or more.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby POk3s » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Eastmans' Hunting Journal
Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal
Extreme Elk Magazine
Western Hunter Magazine
Elk Hunter Magazine
POk3s

Postby planebow » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Eastmans Bowhunter, Extreme Elk, Elk Hunter, and North American Hunter of which I am a life member
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Elkaddict » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Western Hunter and Elk Hunter.
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby stringunner » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Eastmans Bowhunting Journal
Extreme Elk
Elk Hunter Mag
stringunner

Postby mtnmutt » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Bugle
Colorado Outdoors (Colorado Parks and Wildlife). They do an annual Preference Point Issue in Winter

I do not keep up with my reading, so they collect dust especially in warmer months.
mtnmutt

Postby Z Barebow » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Current subscription.

Bugle, Extreme Elk, EHJ, EBJ.

I used to save so many magazines, but it just got to be too much. I do far more reading on-line.

I used to subscribe to a regional mag- Dakota Country. I had been a subscriber so long I had issues when it was a newspaper. (I had over 20 years worth) I quit most of them due to too many adds or rehashing old subjects. (Only so many ways to catch a walleye!)

Old mags I used to save/subscribe.

Dakota Country, NA Whitetail, Deer & Deer Hunting, Bowhunter, Petersons Bowhunting, Bow & Arrow, Fishing Facts, Walleye Insider, In Fisherman, Outdoor Life. (When I was a youth, there may have been a Playboy or two weaved into the pile of mags!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil