Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CO 82 1st Rifle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CO 82 1st Rifle

Postby billygoat » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hi all,

I am unable to hunt the archery season this year, but would like to hunt the 1st 3 days of 1st rifle. I see there are 53 either sex tags left for 82. Instead of hunting alone, I just wanted to throw it out there if anybody wanted to hunt along with me, or if there is a small camp that has room for 1 more. I will be doing 2 or 3 scouting trips before then. I live in CO Springs, so not too long a drive. Any advice on where to go or where to avoid would be greatly appreciated, as well.
billygoat

First Name: David
Last Name: Borgwardt

Re: CO 82 1st Rifle

Postby Trophyhill » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

You have the right screen name for hunting 82:)
Trophyhill

Last Name: B

Postby mtnmutt » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

You could try stopping in Western Archery in Poncha Springs. They may give you some information if you say you are a bowhunter but have to hunt rifle this year. Surprisingly, one guy in there opted to go far north and archery hunt in the central mountains where I normally hunt. He says the CPW inflates the elk numbers in the GMUs around there.

When I lived in Poncha Springs, my neighbor always got an elk during archery or rifle but I can't remember which GMU.

I do not know when they start heading for private land, but there is tons of it. I also heard they head down near the Sand Dunes NP when pressured, but that may not happen until 2nd rifle. CPW wants to control the elk numbers in 82 because of private land damage.

I tried the Northern end in mid-late archery season for a couple years and did not care for it. However, I am not a skilled elk bowhunter and I knew far less then than I do now.

If you frequent the Air Force Academy archery range, start asking there. Drop into the clubhouse on a Saturday and ask Al (president), Dennis (vice president), or Pete (range manager) if they know someone who knows the area or if they know someone doing 1st rifle down there. If you are in the military or a veteran they may go the extra mile to help you out with information.
mtnmutt

Postby billygoat » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I understand what I'm in for with this unit. I occasionally weekend archery hunt in 86, y'know, when I feel like torturing myself! Maybe I'll run into some beginner's (in this unit, anyway) luck. What's the worst that could happen? Spend a weekend in the mountains looking over some new country? I'll take it. Can always buy a list B cow tag for another bite of the apple, right?
billygoat

Postby Trophyhill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

don't let anyone kid ya. There are some big bulls in the unit and The big ones in the unit get big because they are tough to get to and not a lot of hunters ever lay eyes on them. What's not to like about that? The unit definitely has my eye just because of that. Good luck!
Trophyhill

Last Name: B

Postby billygoat » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Well, it looks like this has become a futile exercise, after all. Down to 4 leftover tags today. I made the mistake of moving to Amarillo in May, 2012 for what I hoped would be a great job opportunity, but it fizzled out on me in February. We did keep our house in Springs and moved back in late March. Therefore, I cannot purchase a RESIDENT tag until late September. My plan is to see what is left in a month, then get in a scouting trip or 2, without trying to screw up somebody else's in-progress archery hunt.
billygoat