Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery Elk is almost here - How much practice now?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery Elk is almost here - How much practice now?

Postby cnelk » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

With less than a month to Colorado season opening, how much practice do you do?
Are you just ramping up?
3-6 arrows a day?
Are you ready?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Archery Elk is almost here - How much practice now?

Postby POk3s » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I practice all winter just to keep the forum up. I actually shot leagues less this year than I usually do. Starting when I can get outside in the spring I'll shoot a little and then all throughout the summer. Usually when i practice I'll shoot 50+ arrows. Today I shot about 40 or so with my broadheads out to 70 yards. Started to feel fatigued so I hung it up for the day. Got everything dialed in except for 70 and I'm hoping it is in fact dialed it was just me that was starting to slip. A couple more practice sessions with broadheads and I'll switch back to field tips so I don't destroy anymore arrows! Archery Antelope opener in 10 days!
POk3s

Postby elkmtngear » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Feeling good cnelk! Shooting between 5 to 10 arrows per night from various yardages (out to 50 yds), from my knees, through lanes in the trees and brush, etc.

The Cold Shot Challenges in the Docs Office section of the Forum are great practice for the "moment of truth" ...Elknuts should check it out if you haven't already!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby planebow » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I usually shot about 20 in the morning and then again in the evening
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I feel ready. This year I concentrated on calling and my cardio more so than my shooting. Shooting around 50 arrows a week.
The last week before I head out I will be shooting 3-4 arrows a day from random locations and positions. Getting in the frame of mind that only one shot counts.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby elknturkey » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I shoot year round. A lot of 3d in the off season. Just got to switch out my sight, rest, and arrows to my hunting setup and take about an hour to tune and Im ready to roll :D
elknturkey

Postby ctdad » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My bow is dialed in and I've got six weeks to focus on form. Been doing some blind baling and focusing more on form than results right now. Very pleased with where I'm at now.
ctdad

Postby JGH » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Generally a cold shot at 45-50 in the morning ... and again several in the evening if the wind is manageable.

Broadheads landing a touch to the left at 50 so I have some minor tuning to do ... waiting for the a windless moment to get it done right!
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Was shooting a ton this last spring during turkey season, and was pretty much in my happy place. Gotta get re-dialed in starting this weekend, and shake out the kinks that are sure to have developed over the last 3 months. 3 or 4 rounds, so 16-20 arrows a day, plus practice from my stand once I'm consistent. I pulled 4 of my 7 pins from my sight for my turkey hunt and had been enjoying the de-cluttered sight picture immensely. 40 yards will easily cover my longest shot (and then some) from my stand location, with most of my lanes being 15-25 so I think I will leave it. This will be about the time I'm on my way to or from my stand, and have an unexpected encounter-of-a-lifetime with a 7x7, double drop-tine freaky that's out at 60 or 65 yards, and perfectly broadside. Talk about making a grown man cry. :o
'
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby twinkieman » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

About 20 arrows every morning, starting at 60 yds. Wind down every other day with basically interval training holding bow at full draw for as long as possible, releasing arrow at target from 30 yds. 20 second rest period, than do it all again for a total of 5 arrows. Once a week time peak time I'm able to hold bow and make shot. I'm over 4 minutes now, Bowtech Insanity 61Lb. draw weight.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Bullnuts » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

My bow is still broken!!!! Waiting for the shop to call to tell me that the parts are in and it's back together. Once that happens, I'll be shooting 20-25 arrows a night, all broadheads, all different distances and from different positions. I don't feel ready right now and the uncertainty about when I'll get my bow back has me white knuckling it. Stuff always happens the month before the season instead of the month AFTER the season. Go figure.
Bullnuts

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have my targets set up right outside my front door. I shoot my field tips all winter and summer. But now I am shooting only my hunting Broadhead. And I only shoot one at a time if I am only using one spot on my target. Otherwise I keep cutting the fletching off of my arrows from the incoming broadhead. I have one target at 3o-35 yards and another at 50-55 yards. The broad head sure does a number on the foam layers. Think I am going to get a big straw bale from my brother and shoot in the side. Works good if the bale was wrapped tightly. I shoot about 20 arrows or so every other nite. I had shoulder surgery a few years back and have some mesh and screws in it. My bow is probably set too high and the ole shoulder lets you know when enough is enough.
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Postby otcWill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Shooting broadheads only now. My year round routine is 3-4 days a week 40-100 arrows a session. I'll be testing on the real thing in 12 days on my Wyo lope hunt!
otcWill

Postby JJ Overkill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

At least 50 arrows after work each night. My son is shooting more than me.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Usaully about 20 shots per day from 20 to 60 yards, the final 10 are after a daily 3.5 mile run, makes me concentrate more since I am a little winded or tired. I look at it this way, the first shot of the day is the most important, just like a hunting situation.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Trophyhill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I've been slacking and haven't shot my bow in 2 months. Here in another week I'll be shooting everyday until August 30th with broadheads. Can't wait to get back to NM
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Coveyleader » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

As mentioned in another thread, I haven't shot my bow in months. Travel has killed me this year.

I'm not sure about you guys, but if you've been shooting for years you have the mechanics etc. and it doesn't take long. I will shoot 2-3 arrows a day until the opener. I think sometimes you can over shoot, and probems come up TP etc. I will concentrate on my 10-30 yds shots and call it good. I will not be able to shoot until next Monday.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Like I said in another thread, I've been having a hard time finding time to do anything, and I work about 45 minutes from the house, limiting my shooting time, so I threw my bow and a target into my truck, and have been shooting a few arrows during the day behind our work shop, and then shoot a couple out on job-site visits, out of the public eye. I try and get at least 30-40 arrows a day, b/c I am trying to get confidant at 70 yards, (something I don't even have to think about whitetail hunting) making my 50 yard pin seem easy.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby MountainmanZ » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

New here, but looking forward to participating more. Really learned a ton over the last year, in part to Paul's info!

I start shooting before turkey season and don't stop, so pins are pretty dialed in by now. At this point in the season I usually plop down at 65 yards and shoot 25-35 arrows (3 at a time) three to four times a week, paying the most attention to my very first shot to tell me how I'm progressing. Maybe once a week I might take a few shots at every yardage, but pins are pretty much dialed, so mostly just practice sequence and form at 65 and don't move from there. Will continue to shoot like this until antelope season starts in a couple weeks!

Here are my first three shots (first group) from 65 two days ago. Probably lucky, but my second group was almost the same, with one flyer an inch out of the black. Try to keep them within 6" at 65 yds.

MountainmanZ

First Name: Zach
Last Name: Even

Postby GetemDuck » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

MountainmanZ, small world I don't think I've ran into you since you left Nebraska hope things are well.

As for practice, I'm shooting 50-60 arrows a day at 20-40 yards because I can do that in my yard. on the weekends I head over to a friends pasture and shoot 50-60 yards and i'll be over there shooting for an hour or two shooting countless arrows.

I try to shoot year round weather permitting.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby llewokj » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

shoot twice a week up to 60 yards. start cold at 50yds. todays walk at the USAFA Archery Club...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375827126.113927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375827126.113927.jpg (138.44 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Been shooting 15-25 arrows a night out to 50. Shot a 3D shoot 2 weeks ago and it showed that my practice almost made perfect on the 3D trail. Not to brag but I took first in my division. 590 out of 600 Was very happy with my results!!

I have been lifting weights 2-4 days a week and riding my road bike 3-4 days a week about 12-15miles at a time. I've never been so physically in shape for a season. I think its going to really help me in the Mountains!

That book by Cameron Hanes "Back Country Bowhunting" Is a winner! Its has gotten me so pumped for the season! If you haven't read it get it!! Best money you'll ever spend!!! ....IMO!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Not doing a lot more now, (25-30 every other day) but fine tuning and checking out my equipment. I need to make sure I am ready and my equipment is still in tune. No rest adjustments have been in need of anything.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Big fat ZERO now! I was doing 3-4 times a week 40-60 arrows/day and I had switched to 3D shooting only. Just needed to shoot the broadheads next. I shoot year round outside even when it is cold out.

Last week while shooting 3D, my serving unraveled. I had it all inspected last month and the string at least was good to December. I decided it was best to just bite the bullet and get a new string and cables so I would not have to pay more to do serving now and string and cables in the Fall. Bowless for 8 days waiting on new string and cables. :cry:

Hope to be shooting again on Friday, but need 100-200 arrows shot before resighting is worth the time.

Better to have it happen now than August 31st.
mtnmutt

Postby MountainmanZ » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 25]

GetemDuck wrote:MountainmanZ, small world I don't think I've ran into you since you left Nebraska hope things are well.

As for practice, I'm shooting 50-60 arrows a day at 20-40 yards because I can do that in my yard. on the weekends I head over to a friends pasture and shoot 50-60 yards and i'll be over there shooting for an hour or two shooting countless arrows.

I try to shoot year round weather permitting.

I'm doing great! I see a couple people I know on here! If you can figure out how to contact me on here do so, and I'll see if I can figure out the messaging system here.
MountainmanZ

First Name: Zach
Last Name: Even