Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

seeing in the dark?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

seeing in the dark?

Postby the weasel » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

hey just wanted to ask a quick silly question....
what are you guys using for the walk in or out, for light?
headlights? flashlights?
what candle power (or lumens if LED) ?

i seen a nice headlight at Lowes that was 175 lumens (LED) and range out to 60-65 meters.
the weasel

First Name: john

Re: seeing in the dark?

Postby cnelk » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Headlamp when the moon isn't outi use a Black Diamond
If moving thru the timber in the dark without a light source, a pair of glasses can save a poke in the eye.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I just ordered a Zebra Light..200 lumens. Just takes one AA battery. I've heard good things
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I never go into the woods, regardless of time of day, without a headlamp and a backup. I have a PETZL for my primary and an older Princeton for a backup. Been meaning to get one of the Zebralights also as elkmtngear mentioned (heard they are the real deal) but haven't done so yet.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Bullnuts » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I bought a cool little LED light at Walmart. It's a Coleman and has a white, red, and blue bulb. White is pretty bright for seeing what caused that limb to snap as I walk around in the dark :o but the red and blue lights are very subdued and just bright enough to navigate by without causing too much of a shine. It works off AAA batteries and with the LEDs, they last forever. I think it cost me under $25 and the light is made of steel so it's pretty durable.
Bullnuts

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yep . . . like Phantom, I always head in (get it, get it?) with my primary lamp and a back-up. My primary is a Black Diamond something or other LED, that I bought at Basin Sports in Vernal, UT like 5 years ago. I love that thing. My back-up is some off-brand that I don't know the name of, but also takes 3 AAA like my Black Diamond, and is equally as bright. Sometimes I worry it is too bright, but I'm always hyper-paranoid of running into elk and getting busted as I'm trying to sneak into my blind or other spot regardless of the time of day. If I were still using my old school PETZL Zoom from my mountaineering days of old, I'd light up the forest like Times Square on New Year's Eve. :)
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have a L.E.D. lite just like bullnut's. Coleman makes it. It was $24 and some cents. In fact I bought 3 of them and have been using them for over a year now. If you just use the small white LEDs the batteries ( 3 AAA) last forever. The main LED has 3 power settings and on hi it kills the batteries rather quickly. But at that setting it really throws a big bright long beam, about as good as a 2 or 3 sell mag lite. I took of the elastic mounting head band and attached the lite to a steel clip that slides on my baseball style hat brim. I also use a small lite that Wal-Mart sold for energizer. Red in color...has a steel clip that holds lite to hat brim. Runs on 2 AAA.. red and white LEDs. The way technology has improved the lites with LEDs and the way batteries are changing there are still only good things to come............for a price!
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Postby twinkieman » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Black Diamond headlamp,I always carry a cheap second headlamp for backup
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby otcWill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I use my Petzel when I need it but it's surprising how seldom that is.
otcWill

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

+ 1 for everyone
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I generally walk without a light. I do carry a cheapo LED head lamp with fresh batteries. I use it a bit more in the woods when hunting deer than in open elk country
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bowhunter » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I use a Petzel Tikka XP 2 as my primary and a cheapo Energizer from Waly World as a backup.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Headlamp and a flashlight. I also just purchased a small light that clips to the bill of my cap. It costs very little and weighs almost nothing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby redtop » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I always carry 2 headlamps. If you are taking an elk apart in the dark and need to replace batteries it's really hard without the other light. I use Petzel lamps and they are great. I have one with a red lens cover which is really good for keeping your night vision when you turn it off.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson