Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

So I've narrowed it down to Slick Trick.... Now which Trick?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

So I've narrowed it down to Slick Trick.... Now which Trick?

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I know there are a bunch of different kinds of Slick tricks, so now I have to choose from..... Original, Magnum, Grizz, Razor, etc...

What Trick do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Re: So I've narrowed it down to Slick Trick.... Now which Tr

Postby Backcountry » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Have shot the standards and magnums the past few years. Both flew great, standards were quite a bit quieter in flight, though.

This year I switched to the Razor Tricks. Love the COC style and nearly solid blade design. Regardless of model, they all shoot and kill like a dream.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby Buglemaster » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've shot the original for years with outstanding results on elk, deer & turkeys. Last year I tried the razortricks & they are my new go to broadhead.I feel they might have an advantage on penetration.JMO.
Buglemaster

Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the reply's guys!! This is exactly why I come to this site! No B.S. Just straight answers!!

Sounds like the grizz and the razor are neck and neck!!!
Thanks!!!
Kevrod3

Postby elknturkey » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Used a 125 grain viper trick last year. Complete pass thru and elk went about 30 yards. I don't think there is a sharper blade on the market
elknturkey

Postby cnelk » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

When I was researching the switch to ST from Muzzy, a buddy called the company and asked them straight up about which one was better between Standards or Magnums [This was before ViperTricks and other new ones]

They told him that Standards were better...

I went with Standards and will stay with them for a bit while yet
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JJ Overkill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I tried the grizz tricks and had som issues. From 40yds or less the shot great. When i started shooting at longer distances the would go down and right. At 90 yds id hit about 1 1/2 low and right. Im not sure if it had to do with my arrows being 4fletched with a right hilical but its just an issue i had. I ran another broad head with the same setup and hit dead on. Just an fyi.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Trophyhill » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

RazorTricks for me. They fly like a dart and cut right thru ribs and vitals on elk. I'm lucky if I can find the arrow after it passes thru.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Buglemaster » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

My bad, it's the viper trick not razor tricks although they look awesome also.
Buglemaster

Last Name: Shaklee

Postby BarW » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I've used vipers and standards with great results. Both group very well. Mine are 100 grain
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby stickflngr » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Im a big fan of the razor tricks myself. Scary sharp out of the package and COC..
stickflngr

Postby Coveyleader » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I think I've killed 3, with the Slick Trick Magnums. They fly great from my 60lb bow. I wanted to switch to the standards for a couple years now but just haven't and won't this year either do to no time for changes. I've never been too thrilled with the penetration I achieve with these heads, but all elk have died pretty quick.

Last year, I put a terrible shot on a bull (5 yds don't ask) and he ran up the hill away from me and stood there. He let me draw, focus and I nailed him at 40yds and he took off on the death run. To this day, I haven't seen a blood trail as defined or gruesome as that follow up shot!

The year before, I shot a bull at about 20 yds which I thought was a great hit. That elk ran about 40yds uphill stopped, and didn't fall, but just layed down. About 4 minutes later he was dead. After looking at the shot, I I must have hit just a tad low but who knows.

Good luck, they work well.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby JGH » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Viper Tricks here, too.

Haven't shot an elk with them. Last year had a frontal shot on a pronghorn. He dropped at the shot a bit, the arrow went through his spine nearly longitudinally until exiting through the right lung and liver. The blade is still usable.

They fly just fine from a tuned bow.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby huntnfish645 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Razor Tricks for me this again this year. I have not shot an elk with one yet but have shot whitetails with them and have had awesome results with 1 hitting a rock after exiting deer and remained in tact only bent tip, my hunting buddy shot an elk in 2010 with razor tricks and he had complete pass through and took us awhile to find the arrow, elk went about 100 yards after shot. They fly like field points at any range (I shoot up to 70 yards) posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=2511#
huntnfish645

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Dodge

Postby 6.5City » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I went through the same questions on here a couple months ago. I ended up getting the Viper Tricks 125 grain. So far I am happy but have not yet shot anything alive with them. Really looking forward to sticking an elk and some deer this year to find out.

Good luck.
6.5City

First Name: Michael

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Switching to viper tricks this year but have been using the standards with great results
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Well I ended up picking up some Standard Slick Tricks... They seem to be some of the sharpest broadheads I've ever held in my hand. Was actually scared to put them together!!! I'm pretty happy with results of my first shots. They seem to hit just a touch right maybe an inch or two at 40 yards. At 50 yards for some reason they hit about 4 inches low. (probably me), but when I stepped back to almost 60 yards I was about perfect! Soo.. My conclusion is that I am very happy with these heads!

After looking at some of my older broadheads ie. Muzzy, Thunderheads, muzzy, a NAP Spitfires compared to the slick trick they are huge. I thinking the smaller broadhead is a good idea! They fly just about as accurate as my FP. I think for the first time in my life I'm actually excited about shooting a fixed blade broadhead!
Kevrod3