Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Are You Sounding?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Are You Sounding?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys and gals, how are your elk sounds? We're getting very close to when many of us will step into the elk woods. We've gotten into pretty dang good mountain shape using a variety of conditioning methods, we've shot/tuned our bows a ton and have our broad heads zipping into that sweet spot out to 40 yards or further, we're got our area locked down (including options A, B, and C), the time off has been scheduled, the ranch will be on auto pilot during our hunt(s) away from home, and the gear is being checked and chow lists have been finalized. I ask you friends, how are you sounding with your elk noises? After all, isn't that what much of this bow hunting the elk rut is all about; vocal elk, analyzing what they're saying, and responding accordingly to maximize our opportunities? How are your elk noises?

A. Elk is my second language and I speak it fluently; Rosetta Stone has contacted me and has asked me to create an elk language version for them.
B. Pretty dang good. I have practiced and can make the necessary elk noises when required (cow and calf mews and chirps; estrus buzz; nervous or popping grunts; bull screams/challenges; location bugle) and I'm pretty darn good with my chuckles also to really PO big nasty as I try to call his cows to me.
C. Not too shabby but still working out a few bugs. I can make the sounds needed to get the job done.
D. I have my Hoochie Mama at the ready, what else is needed? 8-)
E. Making elk sounds during archery season is over rated. I just run at them and take them down with my bowie knife. :shock:
F. Other.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How Are You Sounding?

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

In between B and C. Haven't recorded myself in awhile but have been working on the bugs since the last time I did. Making the calls and understanding when to use them is a different story. The true test is coming.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby twinkieman » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would have to say that I would be a B-, a little bit more work to go. The real judging for me will begin 32 days.(who's counting them down) :lol:
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby ctdad » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I feel like I'm a solid b this year. Troy from glacier country calls improved my sounds a lot this year.
ctdad

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Somewhere between B and C
I have it fugured out which calls to use when and understand the language both ways.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Somewhere between a B+ and A-. Rosetta Stone hasn't called yet, but I'm sitting by the phone. I can order beers, ask where the bathroom is, say, "I stole your girlfriend and she's HOT!" and various other useful terms that cannot be posted on an open forum.
Bullnuts

Postby GWH » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I am at C right now I think
GWH

Postby Trophyhill » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Other, I'll reserve my self critique until I put 1 on the ground. If I go home with an Unfilled tag then I'm not good enough.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby rowdycwby1 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

close to C but getting better
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Troy from Glacier Country tells me I'm at an A. But I'm modiest so I'll say an A-! :D

LOL Rosetta Stone!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ctdad » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Bullnuts wrote:Somewhere between a B+ and A-. Rosetta Stone hasn't called yet, but I'm sitting by the phone. I can order beers, ask where the bathroom is, say, "I stole your girlfriend and she's HOT!" and various other useful terms that cannot be posted on an open forum.

This one is my favorite
ctdad

Postby GetemDuck » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

what's an elk call?

I'd say I'm an F. I have no faith in my calling so try to be quiet and patient :)

I'm still trying to call but If I do not sound any better by the time i get up on the mountain then the calling will be minimal.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby mtnmutt » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 13]

C and D, Yes, D!

2 weeks ago, wearing dark sunglasses and a disguise, I went into Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a Baby Hoochie Mama. I am not sold on it, but it may serve the purpose. In other years, I had tried using a Hoochie Mama with my mouth calls to make herd talk as someone else had mentioned on here. My calf sounds are poor with reeds, so I bought the baby one to use with my mouth calls (cow mews) to simulate herd talk. I guess I will be banned from this site now. :roll:

I have the nervous grunt mastered using my voice only and that one is the most important for my ambush setups this season.

F. I can do elk calling with American Sign Language (ASL). I just need to find the deaf elk.
mtnmutt

Postby JJ Overkill » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Im with david on this one. AKA trophyhill
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Bullnuts » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 15]

mtnmutt wrote:F. I can do elk calling with American Sign Language (ASL). I just need to find the deaf elk.

LOL!
Bullnuts

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 16]

F . . . like I swallowed a kazoo!
I'm not a big caller and generally only ever use light cow calling. I'm a little unorthodox. I use a Primos lil' dog predator call for my "cow call." The little green one, with the light reed. This came about because I had bought some other brand of bite and blow cow call, and it was terrible. The reed was installed slightly off-center and it failed me in the field. I had the lil' dog with me, and thought, "Why not??" I've used that thing ever since. I've called in bulls and cows with it. Innovate. Adapt. And overcome. Incidentally, I've never called in ANY coyotes with it. LOL
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN