Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scent sticks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scent sticks

Postby maverick11 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone use them? Good, bad, no difference? Thx for your replies!
maverick11

Re: Scent sticks

Postby JGH » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Used them for whitetail in the past. I never had much luck ... can't think of a single deer that I can say definitely "hit" on them.

That said, they were some of the best wind indicators I've ever seen for stand hunters. That smoke would form a visible trail with calm winds, and that was educational and somewhat useful.

Personally, I'd wonder if just some firecracker punks would work as good. They may give off a "curiosity" scent.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

They are good . . . at getting you to part with your money! :lol: I've never used them, but in the past I have used plastic acorn doohickeys for deer, and other scented things like it. Honestly, I'd hold an elk seance before using those silly items again. Except for my cow pee . . . I GOTTA have my cow pee!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby maverick11 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Which elk pee? Is elk fire decent? I'm in saskatchewan so options are limited!!!
maverick11

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey Maverick . . . not sure on the elk fire, I've only ever used Moccasin Joe's Cow Estrus. The one with the pink label. I do not believe that it brings in the elk hot and heavy, and that surely has never been my experience. I use it strictly for cover scent for getting into my blind or calling areas. I have no idea if it actually works, and there are varying opinions on this. However, I figure it at least helps me smell like an elk instead of me. I've had elk within 13 yards of me while in my blind. In short, it may be purely psychological . . .but it helps boost my confidence. And that goes a long way in hunting elk or any game animal.
Washington Wapiti

Postby maverick11 » 08 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the friendly advice!!!
maverick11

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

You betcha!
Washington Wapiti

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I checked out a local company. the sales fellow couldnt tell me how the attactent worked, food, curiousity, sexual? . Smelling some sticks I couldnt make out a real smell.
While I use their bear bait enhancer and believe it works well , I just dont see their antlered game sticks working
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H