Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting Gunnison Colorado

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting Gunnison Colorado

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Third year in this region. Still no elk. Not going to ask where they are but you can tell me if you want.

What I would like to know is where I can find.

A reputable pro shop if I need one no matter how far I would have to travel.

A place to purchase a pick up load of seasoned fire wood, have to keep my camp chef happy.

A reputable pet kennel.

Thanks
Triplebhunters
Dave and Debbie.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Re: Elk hunting Gunnison Colorado

Postby six » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Gene Taylors Sporting Goods in Gunnison 970-641-1845. Give them a call I'm sure they can help you out with information you need. They have awesome customer service.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

six wrote:Gene Taylors Sporting Goods in Gunnison 970-641-1845. Give them a call I'm sure they can help you out with information you need. They have awesome customer service.

Love Gene Taylors! Take lots of money though because they will certainly have a lot of stuff that you won't be able to live without! Are you hunting unit 54?
Depending on your route of travel, you should be able to find plenty of people selling wood on your way to the area. Not sure about dog kennels but I'm sure you'll be able to find one on whitepages.com
Bullnuts

Postby mtnmutt » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If you go via US 50 or 285, there is dog kennel in Poncha Springs that I used. It was OK. It is also within a half mile from Western Archery.

You likely will find other dog kennels and pro shops closer to Gunnison. Poncha Springs is a ways away from Gunnison. If there for labor day weekend, the dog kennels will fill up fast.
mtnmutt

Postby Waygoner » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yep, Gene Taylor's is the only option for a pro-shop. There are some bow friendly folks their though. You can search the Shopper for firewood http://www.gunnisonshopper.com. Good place to find a landowner tag too. I can't help with the kennel, see what pops up on Google.

If you can tell me what unit you're hunting I might have some suggestions for you. Was talking with my boss this morning and he spent a lot of time in 67 over the weekend. He's so discouraged he might turn his archery tag in. Been getting a lot of rain in the last two weeks.
Waygoner

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks. And on Gene Taylor's, is awesome sport store. My wife even likes it. Just wasn't positive about pro shop. I will have back up most everything.
2011 unit 66 first rifle, 2012 unit 54 archery, 2013 unit 54 archery. Have to go back. One lesson I learned is ''learn your area'' They are there just have to get them closer during the day. After my hour soak I get up to move and the buffalo hooves start.
We will be getting there on 8th or at latest 9th.
Mtnmutt. There is a pet supply store called mountainmut catywampus from Walmart there. Thought that may have been your store.
Triplebhunters

Postby mtnmutt » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Triplebhunters wrote: Mtnmutt. There is a pet supply store called mountainmut catywampus from Walmart there. Thought that may have been your store.

LOL

I don't believe that existed when I lived there. They stole my name :grin:
mtnmutt

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

TripleBHunters - That hour soak comment has me wondering about where you're hunting. I know a spot over there in 54 that we used to call Heart Attack Hill. It was at least an hour to the top, but once on top it was basically rolling meadows with dark timber and aspen groves mixed in. Wonder if we're thinking about the same place - I sure wouldn't want to have to pack one out of there if it is!
Bullnuts

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

It's a bear to get up there. Hoping with the three weeks I have out there this year to scout a little more. Thick,meadows, alpine. Lots of people at certain times. Trying to get a handle on it. I figured I may have to make a call to get my beast off that mountain.

By the one hour soak I was referring to. I would stop and call sit a bit call wait call wait. And at hour point I would get up to cruise to another spot and it would sound like buffalo running. Which brings up a question. Being that I have put in my wait time. Would you experienced callers suggest that when I call I should move and wait it out?
Triplebhunters

Postby Bullnuts » 08 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

So I'm guessing that when you're moving you're jumping elk? That's pretty common, especially when the elk are coming in silent to calls. Before you get up to move, make sure you're glassing as much as you can see. I've actually spotted bulls looking at me through pine boughs that way - I'd have never seen them if I had just gotten up and started moving around.
Bullnuts

Postby horseshoe » 08 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Want to see some of those sneaky "buffalo" in action, get the Roe Hunting Resource elk module subscription. He has some videos that are really great. ALL the elk we called in last year came in quiet. I wish the ground where we hunt was as noisy as where Chris shot these vids!

BULLNUTS is dead on! Seeing these vids helped me see why I have to REALLY WAIT and REALLY LOOK when calling!
horseshoe

Postby Bullnuts » 08 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

The really sneaky ones are the ones that don't run. They come in from behind a tree to have a look, spot you, and then turn 360 degrees and walk directly away from you without ever making a sound. I've seen this more than once and it amazes me how quiet an elk can be.
Bullnuts