Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Still looking

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Still looking

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hi all. A buddy and I are heading to Colo. to do an OTC elk bow hunt the last 10 days of archery season. We are still researching some units but have not made our final plans. We have hunted 62 the last couple years but want to stay higher and closer to Nebr. We are looking at 28 and 18 but sounds like the crowds from the big cities to the east keep it crowded. Also are kinda looking at 17 and 171. Now a good friend of ours said he has hunted 14 several years now and that is the place to be. I realize there are elk all over Colo. Just gotta find em! Any comments about the units stated ... roads... crowds... terrain difficulty. I am 56 but in pretty good shape. My buddy is 38 & tough as they come. We are taking his 18 year old son ..... want to share the camp time with him. Any comments. Thanks!!!
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Re: Still looking

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

28 and 18 are great areas. I am actually gonna do some hunting in 28. The road between ute pass and fraiser hold a lot of elk. There are gonna be some people up there but it deff gets worse when rifle season starts. As far as 18 that area is good but hard to hunt because of the private land and the lakes. There is a "hidden" zone in 18 that borders rocky mountain national park that holds huge bulls but either have to hike far or get a boat ride. 17 and 171 is awesome also, Rabbit ears is elk country for big area but try the walden side by the backside(eastern) of buffalo pass. Hope this helps a little.. :D
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Hey........thanks sucobowhhunter!!! We were in 28 for just a couple days last year. Stopped in while heading home from 62. Saw some elk off the road by an area they call church park....I think. We called in a cow to 20 yards and a bull was behind her... about 100 yards. He was screaming all the time. Played with him for a half hour but ran out of light. He was still screaming after dark. We had to make a big loop to get around him and walk out. May hit 28 again or mite try some unit like 14 or 16. Just looking for info as to how difficult the terrain is in some places. I am sure there is some super tough terrain and some half way decent. Guess we'll find out!
NebrCatMan

Postby Coveyleader » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

For me, I wouldn't even waste my time looking into 18. It has to be one of the ugliest places to hunt, and that's coming from a guy who hunts the west slope. The beetle kill in there and 28 is pretty bad so keep that in mind. Those trees are falling with just a little wind. I'd pick any of the units you mentioned before 18. I fish all over 18 in the summer months and hardly see an elk. If it's moose you're after, great unit.

28 is a huge unit, and holds elk but they won't come easy. The elk I see in there fishing are always pretty high which makes for some nice views.

I'd try and come as late as possible to ensure the elk are talking. It is so much easier finding elk in new units when they're making noise vs when they're quiet.

Good luck!
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby NebrCatMan » 08 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks coveyleader. Some have said that elk like to move in to the dead tree areas. Lush green undergrowth draws them. Still considering 28 and a few areas. Was in the low 60s here in Se Nebr. last nite. Cool rains... foggy and hazey mornings. Something is stirring in my blood........and it ain't CORNHUSKER football........but huntin seasons are around the corner!!!!~
NebrCatMan