Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where are the Cows?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where are the Cows?

Postby LckyTylr » 08 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So, similar to the "Where are the Bulls" thread . . . Where are the Cows?

I have figured out where the bulls are right now, but I have never seen a cow in the area. I have only been able to hunt this area for one year and that was cut short after the 2nd weekend (wildland fire). So, will these bulls head on out?

This obviously is a pretty open-ended question, as it's impossible to explain where I found the bulls and what the area is like . . . but . . . ?

At what point in the fall do you think the bulls will vacate the safety of their honey hole in search of the cows?

Any suggestions on where I should try to find the cows if the bulls make the switch when I'm not looking?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Where are the Cows?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

You are lucky to have stumbled onto what I call a bull hole. Or what most call a bachelor group. These groups may be hunted in the very early part of the archery seasons. However, when that first cow shows signs of coming into estrus, the bull groups will break up and go to the cows are hanging out.

I have always said, "When scouting for elk, find the cows. That's where the bulls will be come September"!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Where are the Cows?

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Not sure which of the two threads this applies to, but, I found groups of cows/calves/spikes (few small bulls) up high. No big bulls but a lot of old rubs and new and old sign of elk at certain elevations. The bulls were probably in a "hole" still in bachelor groups. The area where we found lots of rubs, Is this where the bulls go when splitting up from bachelor groups? I guess you could say prepping for the rut, feeling their oats like some say. These are the areas I planned on doing cold calling set ups anticipating elk at this elevation in timber. I guess this would be tough to have a definite answer.
Time frame September 7th through the 15th.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere