Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

slam dunk spots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

slam dunk spots

Postby Coveyleader » 08 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Do you have any?

I have two spots that I've killed 8 bulls in. The first is a natural crossing. What makes this place great is there is a saddle above it, and then dark timber. To top it off a water hole on the bottom. I've killed 5 bulls all within 40 yds here. Some have been on the water, some have been simply crossing through. And others were pushed into me.

The second place is a small clearing for a utility line that goes down a hill. This place is great because it's the only open area for miles. I get 20yds down from the crest of the hill which has a saddle in it. Almost every elk I've seen below me I can call to and they will come right past me because they have to get to the saddle to see. This is one of those areas where you can call to bulls in the open and they have to go past in order to see what's on the other side. I've only had one bull hang up here, but he was cowed up.This was the first place I've heard or seen the nervous grunt.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Re: slam dunk spots

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Yes siree, we have a spot just like your first one you mention, it's a natural movement one that is on a bench & is also used as an escape route. As far as the nervous grunt goes it's generally me using it right before the shot! (grin)

Sounds like you have a great area, good luck this year!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bullnuts » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have one. It's a logging road that traverses about 3 miles of old cut timber that has regrown with aspen and spruce. The wind is always right for hunting this spot in the morning and the elk will use the road as a main travel route. We get on the road and still hunt it until we see or hear an elk, set up on both sides of the road so we're perpendicular to it, and then I'll get off to the side and start calling. I've killed 7 or 8 elk in this spot and we've seen at least 10 times that many over the past several years. I mark them all on my GPS so I can really narrow the sweet spot down now.
Bullnuts

Postby twinkieman » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've not killed 8 bulls out of it , but I've shot 2, and I found this spot 3 seasons ago. It has water timber, and a small open park 40 yds wide, and a 100 yds long.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Swede » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have said "I have no real honey holes", but maybe that is not the real case. I have two tree stand locations where the folks I hunt with, and I have killed 25+ (est.) elk over the years. The one location is never hot, but individual or small herds of elk routinely (once or twice a week) travel by my stand. The other spot can be very productive early in the season, if it is hot and dry and there have been no cattle there, until they are disturbed by too many hunters. Both places are in a good travel corridor and each has an isolated spring and wallow. Both places are near a good bedding area. I am looking forward to hanging a tree stand in each location during the week of August 18.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have one. Back to back bulls and we hiked away from many more. Just can't draw the tag again.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I wish I did. Never killed an elk with my bow. But that is what scouting is for, right?
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby easeup » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

no magic for me either. this NR guy pretty much hunts new country every year. now how smart is that?
easeup

Postby POk3s » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have one for rifle season but not really a "slam dunk" spot for archery. The road closes after the archery season. If I don't fill my archery elk tag I hike back in there and USUALLY the bulls are bugling. I've never killed a big one in there but there have been tons of elk killed there over the years in our hunting party and even before I was born. The elk are always in there the first few days of rifle season.
POk3s

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have 3 spring wallows that bulls hit every year. I put my trail cams on each one 4 days before opener. Would put up sooner but we live a 1000 miles from elk camp. The wallow that shows the best bull is where I will spend most evenings. I've taken 27 archery elk, but 4 is the most I have taken from the exact same spot.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby the weasel » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

mine is facing north with a 5 acre meadow and has a spring and creek at the south end. it is about 4500 ft. in elevation, it also has willows and big dark timber around it. it has fresh wapiti droppings and wapiti walkings in and around it everytime i go in. it gave up a 6 pt. leftside elk shed this spring! (first ever found) it has a gate at the bottom of old road leading up to it. and a 10ft. fence and one way swinging gate....... with a neon sign that reads " SAFETY ZONE " here!

just wish them dang ELK would learn how I THINK and learn how to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

fyi........just kidding about some of this!
the weasel

First Name: john