Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Time Elk Hunt- need some gear advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Time Elk Hunt- need some gear advice

Postby jckerns24 » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After bowhunting whitetails for many years I have an opportunity to chase elk in Colorado in September. This will be a DIY hunt. I know that good gear won't improve my odds of taking elk meat home, but it will definitely mean the difference of an enjoyable hunt or not. Would love to hear some opinions on good packs to carry in for day trips or possibly an overnight. I have been looking at Eberlestock and Kifaru, but open to others as well. Also any recommended boots for this trip (Danner or Kennetrak or others?)....what do you like? I'd prefer to spend the money on quality the first time around instead of having to buy the same thing again in 2 or 3 years. Thanks!
jckerns24

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Kerns

Re: First Time Elk Hunt- need some gear advice

Postby twinkieman » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I use the Eberlestock Blue Widow for long pack trips, and I love it. There are lots of guys using the Kifaru, and they like them as well. You probably can't go wrong either way. As far as boots, whatever fits your feet the best. Make sure whatever you get that they are well broken in before you really intend to use them. Every one has their own opinion on footwear, but not everyone's feet are the same.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby easeup » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

welcome to the club mr. Kerns and good luck on the hunt.
easeup

Postby jckerns24 » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the hunt, not expecting much more than a good time and an education. if i come back with any meat, I will be thrilled.
jckerns24

Postby pointysticks » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Boots are so different for everyone. I wear Schnee insulated beartooths. Chose them cuz they only have 200gr of thinsulate. I'm over 400's. too warm for me. I love the boots. The are tough which means they can be a challenge to break in.

If you go with danner I suggest you buy only domestic made ones. The hood mtn lights look amazing.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Packs? There re some badass packs being mad now.
pointysticks

Postby jckerns24 » 08 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thanks Pointysticks.....I will definitely check out the Schnees that you recommended. I realize everyone's foot is different, but it doesn't hurt to start looking at the ones that are working well for others.
jckerns24

Postby G Posik » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

For back packs you can go with Stone Glacier, Kifaru,MR or some of the other high end hunting packs. I run the Stone Glacier and it is very comfortable and carries the weight with no problem.

Boots if doing an early season archery hunt you will not want much if any insulation. I wear a pair of Oboz trail hikers I bought a few years ago at REI. These are my early season boot. If getting a heavy boot like stated above break in time takes a little bit of time. Do not try to break them in on the mountain.

If you have any more questions about other gear feel free to ask. Most of all just get out there and enjoy your self.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

This is what happens if they are not broken in enough. Don't forget your ducktape and silk socks. Coming down off that mountain is more abusive on your feet than going up or on flat land. The silk socks saved my feet. Adds loads of comfort.
Packs. Like everyone is telling you get a good one. As light as your purpose dictates. Day hike or packing in for a week, big differance. And jump on YouTube to learn how to adjust it.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby pointysticks » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

i watched my buddy put gorilla tape on his blistered areas. i didnt ask..but i will here.

what is it like yanking duct tape off of a blistered area?!!!! you would need to sedate me :)

i used to think GREAT boots wont blister you ever. but i dont think that so much. there is no way any one boot builder can make a boot fit all of our feet. boots need breaking in period. sure, some of you guys hit the lotto and wear some right out of the box and trek up a mountain..take that same boot and let someone else do it, and i can play out entirely different.

now i just know. i wrap both of my little toes with bandages going in. my toes just do this weird bend, that is prone to rubbing.
pointysticks

Postby Coveyleader » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I would base the gear on how you're going to hunt. It doesn't seem like you are packing in so why bother with a high end pack such as Kifaru etc? Based on what you've noted, I'd look into a pack of about 2000 cubic inches and call it good. You can carry all your stuff in it for the day, and still have room to pack out the loins and backstraps if you kill an elk. You can then come back with your main meat hauling pack of your choice. I bet you have a WT pack that would work fine.

I have spent a week packed in with a Badlands 2200 with no issues however I don't recommend this pack since it's very heavy with nothing in it. I'm simply pointing this out since you mentioned you may spend a night or two out, and for that, you don't need much of a pack.

As far as your boots, this is very personal for sure. September isn't that far away, and I'd suggest you get something very soon or you will destroy your feet. Have a look at Vasque boots. I've been using them for years and they're the only boots I can walk out the store straight to the mountain with no break-in perioud. Again, just a thought since boots are very user specific. As an FYI, you will not need insulated boots in CO in September.

Good luck
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Lol pointysticks. Leave the tape on a couple days till it starts to peel the. Soap it up real good in the shower. Actually not as bad as the band aids that nurse puts on your arm after blood test. More hair on my arms than on my feet.

Coveyleader. Helped me express my point here. As this is only my third trip out. Last year I purchased the 2200. Although a very nice pack, heavy for me being that I go in on a daily bases, which put me 5-10 miles a day. This year I am leaving most of gear in. And then using the $20.00 pack that I baught my wife from warmart years ago.

Even packing in and staying in. My opinion is better to make a couple trips versus beating yourself up with one trip.

Everything is determined by your style of hunting.

26 days till show time for me
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby jckerns24 » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate all of the feedback. I'm really looking forward to my first elk hunt and first time in God's country.......going to be a lot of fun.
jckerns24

Postby mr_steve » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

http://www.santanaoutdoors.com/servlet/the-300/Badlands-Packs-Sacrifice-Backpack/Detail

Check out Badlands Pack. Seem to be quality and less expensive. I very much enjoy mine.

Also below is a link to my gear list for this fall. I have made changes since this. The comments will help explain what changes I made.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=421908&messages=35&forum=5
mr_steve

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Frith

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

A good way to break in boots in a hurry is to get them wet and wear them until they are almost dry.
You can do this in about a day around the yard, mowing lawn and such. Switch out your socks and the boot will conform to your foot.

Almost all good boots still require another added insole that will take the beating of an elk hunt.

Over the years I have used many packs that dont cost very much. They work pretty good.
Zippers tend to fail first tho.
A nice pack will be a delight on your back with a decent load

Good Luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Chukarhunter » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 16]

cnelk wrote:A good way to break in boots in a hurry is to get them wet and wear them until they are almost dry.
You can do this in about a day around the yard, mowing lawn and such. Switch out your socks and the boot will conform to your foot.

cnelk.... I used this technique years ago on some heavy uninsulated hiking boots, but will this work on an insulated pair of boots without damaging the insulation? I just bought a pair of Crispi Nevada's, and wouldn't mind speeding up the break in period (even though these are pretty comfortable right out of the box).
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Check out our pack.

http://paradoxpacks.com

We've developed a new class of hybrid external frame and added articulation to it. It is the most comfortable heavy load pack on the market, and also very comfortable at light loads.

We also offer adjustable frame height so you can hunt with a short frame and haul with a tall frame. It takes just a minute to switch in the field.

For boots the Asolo Sasslong are a good value, but Meindl Perfekt hikers and Lowas fit me better.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby cnelk » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Chuckarhunter
I wouldnt think it would bother which way the insulation got wet, either from the outside of the boot or inside.
I realize your new boots repel water, but after a morning walking thru wet grass and a couple streams, most all inside of boots are damp.
Unless of course they are rubber boots ;)

Some of the best boots I have broken in have taken the longest. I only use the water technique if I have to.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Chukarhunter » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Thanks, cnelk. Think I'll just keep wearing them, and if not good by my deer opener (didn't get an elk tag this year), I'll force-break them using the water. Appreciate the input!!
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill