Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling on Ambush setups?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling on Ambush setups?

Postby mtnmutt » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

On ambush setups, does anyone do a "directing traffic" call to get the elk to come closer or turn in your favor? This is after you spot them moving near you and their path or direction of travel may not be ideal for your ambush location.

Nervous Grunt is a given to stop them, but I did not know if any other calling would be appropriate for ambush.

My ambush is ground level without a blind. Swede made the point that he does not call from a treestand which makes sense. Elk don't hangout in trees :o

If you answer this question, please state your answer for no ground blind versus ground blind so that others may benefit. I am only doing non ground blind ambush setups near a well used trail or near water. If needed, I may make a better setup with some branches/logs to conceal myself better.
mtnmutt

Re: Calling on Ambush setups?

Postby Bullnuts » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't use a ground blind because I like to be mobile and have the ability to adjust to whatever situation. I understand completely the use of ground blinds near wallows and water sources, but if I'm set up on a travel route, I want to be able to move quickly. My set up in that case will be a fallen tree, a small spruce, or some other type of hasty blind.

I do call on ambush, especially when I see elk in a position where I won't be able to move to them. If they decide to come out in the middle of a park, for instance, instead of skirt it like most elk will do, I won't hesitate to chirp at them to get them curious and moving in my direction. The key is being set up in a good spot with the wind in your favor before you call. I typically want to be 15-20 yards into the trees, away from the travel route that I expect them to use, and if I'm lucky enough to have one, a big blow down or something in front of me that the elk will have to go around and put them into a position for a shot. Once I get them coming, I stop calling altogether and just let them come. They will have the location of my last call pinned, but if I don't call again, they will have to start looking for me and most of the time they'll walk right past me.
Bullnuts

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I agree with Bullnuts. I don't do a lot of ground blind hunting anymore, but still have a couple locations I prefer to hunt that way. The areas I use a ground blind are in a natural funnel and the elk have to work to avoid me if they are going through. I don't call at all there, as I don't want them to suspect they will encounter anything unforeseen.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 08 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thank you. My gut feeling was a real light calf chirp. I once used a light mew on a 4x4 100 yards away with excellent results except for my shot over his back. The older bulls may not go for it.

My calls will remain in my pack during ambush, so I resist the temptation to use them. I can make some calls with voice only. I am game to try ambush. Hope I don't fall asleep.
mtnmutt

Postby Trophyhill » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I killed a bull last year on what I consider an ambush. others may not have the same meaning of ambush but this is what worked for me last year. while running and gunning after a rain, I snuck into a known bulls bedding area in search. he was not there. I bugled from his bed and he answered from below. I moved toward the bugle immediately. I then called making a loud estrus whine and he bugled and chuckled and was coming. I picked the most likely direction of travel and set up for an ambush. he stopped at about 60 yards in heavy cover. I knew if I did nothing it would result in a hang up because he was looking for that cow he just heard. I turned my head in the other direction and made a very faint and light cow mew with my Temptress. it was enough for him to commit and walk right thru the area I chose for an ambush. minutes later I began the tenuous task of field dressing. so I would say that certain sounds at the right time can and do make a difference.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby mtnmutt » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Trophyhill, Your example was very helpful.

After 8 months of reading this forum, I concluded that seasoned elk hunters know to change and react quickly with each elk encounter. The Playbook is a starting gameplan where one or more tactics or "plans" for a given elk encounter could result in a success. Successful elk hunters use their gut feelings to make the right play calls as events unfold.

This season, I'll mix it up a bit and branch out from my old habits of seasons' past. If I have more close encounters with elk than the total of my previous 3 seasons, I will deem my season a success. An Elk on the ground will be icing on the cake.
mtnmutt