Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Setting up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Setting up

Postby OS hunter » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

First off this is my first year elk hunting, but I've been scouring the internet learning as much as I can. While I was out scouting I was trying to think ahead to how I would set up at different spots. The one I am most curious about is a small meadow, say 70-80 yards across. Just enough to be out of bow range if an elk is on one side and your on the other.

With the wind right and an elk headed your way do you set up just inside the timber on the far side across the meadow, or do you set up inside the timber on the close side? Setting up on the far side seams to me to be probably the safest bet to avoid a hang up.
OS hunter

First Name: David
Last Name: Linton

Re: Setting up

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have had good success using a clearing like you described as a barrier by putting it behind me.
In essence, you always have to give up something when setting up, so use the terrain to your advantage
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby twinkieman » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Lots of folks with more elk knowledge than I will post, I try not to call where elk can see my location from until they are in bow range. If your meadow is flat, I would be more likely to setup in the trees, on the side the elk are approaching from, as long as I had a good wind. If you want to cut time off of your "learning curve", invest in Elknut's Playbook.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Bullnuts » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'll go opposite. I'll get back into the trees about 20 yards on the opposite side from where I expect to see the elk come out and call them over to me. I've had a lot of success with this method, especially if I can stay in heavy cover and the elk have a hard time seeing into it. This works especially well if you can stay in the shadows and the meadow is in full sunlight - it's like standing outside and trying to look into a darkened room - you can't see anything until you get into the shadows yourself and since I'll be 20 yards back, as soon as that elk steps into the shade he's gonna get skewered.
Bullnuts