Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A little help for a Rookie

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A little help for a Rookie

Postby LarryBud » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello All,

I've learned a great deal from this forum over the past summer.( thank you all ) I've studied the Playbook and practiced diligently the accompanying CD. It's now time to finalize the Game Plan.

My party of 3 will be MZ hunting September 14-21. We are MZ enthusiast, shoot them year around and just like making smoke. Please don't hold the fact that we're not archers against us. We will be hunting in N. Colorado in a National Forrest. With help of a gracious Forum Member, I've selected a drainage which runs NW to SE. This drainage starts at 9300' runs 3 miles long and is 10500' towards the back. It's protected on both sides by steep entries which would take significant effort to climb. The entry is closed to all vehicle traffic but it does has a matrix of old logging roads. It's mostly tree covered with meadows in the bottoms and scattered throughout the side ravines.

The plan is to hike in 2 miles, set up a spike camp and work it from there. Currently we plan on working it cold call set ups. How would you hunt this situation?

Thanks in advance?
LarryBud

Re: A little help for a Rookie

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Larry. Folks won't look down on you for firing a smoke pole at elk. We have hunters who prefer everything from stick bows to super long range rifles. I can't see the area you are describing, but cold calling at night to locate elk should be productive. The elk will be nearby if you are back at first light. Also consider doing some extensive glassing and Elknut's aggressive rut tactics to get a big bull.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

When entering a new area, the first thing I would want to know is the how the thermals and wind react throughout the day
You can do this as you enter the area, or even as you start hunting, but be prepared to change course if needed.

I have hunted elk with a ML in the past and may do so again in the future.
It sure is a lot of fun!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bullnuts » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

That sounds like a nice spot. How wide is the drainage, and does it have an escape hatch? I'm a big fan of logging roads because the elk will use them like highways. I would get on one at first light and start moving up. When you get close to one of those meadows, call a little and see if anyone's home. Do a little cold calling near patches of really dark timber and watch the edges for an elk to just show up unexpected. Be ready!
Bullnuts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I'm not familiar with the Colorado elk, haven't had the privilege of hunting that far south yet but I'm pretty sure they're all the same. You're hunting a good segment of the rut when the bulls are just started to get amped up pretty good. As Swede mentioned, use the darkness to your advantage. Many hunters are crawling into their fart sacks around 9 PM; if you make an effort to bugle from some strategic points well after nighfall, the only thing you'll hear back are elk. Lock that point in, work the thermals as cnelk mentioned the next morning, and the elk will more than likely be where you heard the bugle from. It'll take you a handful of days to pattern what's going on with the small herds you locate but when you do, you can mix in some potential ambush points to set up mid morning as they move from feed to bed. One last thing that has rang true when I'm helping young hunters with some basics is to remember is that it's a fact that bulls want cows during the rut, so, give him cows more so than bulls if you get my drift ;) The aggressive bull sounds come into play for sure but a whiny, "pay attention to me" cow sound goes a long way with the dudes on the mountain you're going to hunt.. Best of luck to you buddy.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby LarryBud » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Bullnuts wrote:That sounds like a nice spot. How wide is the drainage, and does it have an escape hatch? I'm a big fan of logging roads because the elk will use them like highways. I would get on one at first light and start moving up. When you get close to one of those meadows, call a little and see if anyone's home. Do a little cold calling near patches of really dark timber and watch the edges for an elk to just show up unexpected. Be ready!

Escape Hatch: Probably not to the South as it would be tough going for any man or beast. Yes to the North and out the end.

The Drainage is about 2 miles wide at the bottom and narrow near the top. There is a major draw splitting two peaks on the South side which provides access to the next drainage to the North.

Would you cold call with a bugle or cow calls in the above scenario?

Thanks?
LarryBud

Postby LarryBud » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

cnelk wrote:When entering a new area, the first thing I would want to know is the how the thermals and wind react throughout the day
You can do this as you enter the area, or even as you start hunting, but be prepared to change course if needed.

I have hunted elk with a ML in the past and may do so again in the future.
It sure is a lot of fun!

CNELK,

Is there a dominant September wind? In KS it's a SW wind most of the time unless a front is pushing through.

Thanks,
LarryBud

Postby Bullnuts » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

LarryBud - Cold call with cow sounds or a locator. And to answer your wind question, unless it's storming, it'll be a downhill wind in the morning, uphill when the sun comes up, and downhill again in the evening. See the string on thermals for more info on that.
The drainage sounds perfect, and as long as there are elk in there when you begin your hunt it should be pretty awesome. Don't be afraid to move around, though, if you're not finding elk or not finding sign. Hit that next drainage over or the next one after that until you find them. Night bugling will help a lot and will eliminate the need for a lot of guesswork.
Bullnuts

Postby cnelk » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The prevailing westerlies will be your dominant wind.
But with the rising elevation to the SE, could cause the wind to mix.
I think the morning downslope thermals could be pretty consistent.

With the old logging roads in the area Im assuming there are old regrown claercuts.
These, like the logging roads, are also elk magnets. The elk like to bed in them.

As mentioned, some cow calling would prob be best to start. No need to draw in any hunters in the area right off.
Then, after seeing the barometer of the elk, start switching calling techniques up

I think you'll do fine... :)

BTW.
The other spot you were looking at is closed to all traffic. Cant even walk in there due to logging operaations
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby twinkieman » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

LarryBud wrote:Hello All,

I've learned a great deal from this forum over the past summer.( thank you all ) I've studied the Playbook and practiced diligently the accompanying CD. It's now time to finalize the Game Plan.

My party of 3 will be MZ hunting September 14-21. We are MZ enthusiast, shoot them year around and just like making smoke. Please don't hold the fact that we're not archers against us. We will be hunting in N. Colorado in a National Forrest. With help of a gracious Forum Member, I've selected a drainage which runs NW to SE. This drainage starts at 9300' runs 3 miles long and is 10500' towards the back. It's protected on both sides by steep entries which would take significant effort to climb. The entry is closed to all vehicle traffic but it does has a matrix of old logging roads. It's mostly tree covered with meadows in the bottoms and scattered throughout the side ravines.

The plan is to hike in 2 miles, set up a spike camp and work it from there. Currently we plan on working it cold call set ups. How would you hunt this situation?

Thanks in advance?

Have your partner's invested time in th e playbook, and dvd's as well, or are you the only one that is going to be doing all the calling?
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby LarryBud » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 11]

twinkieman wrote:
LarryBud wrote:Hello All,

Thanks in advance?

Have your partner's invested time in th e playbook, and dvd's as well, or are you the only one that is going to be doing all the calling?

One partner is all in and has the play book, CD etc. The other, is more along for the ride.
LarryBud