Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting with mountain bike?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting with mountain bike?

Postby Sneez_98 » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone had experience riding a mountain bike into an area instead of walking, I will be hunting mild terrain and just thought iI could get into my area faster by bike as opposed to walking?
Sneez_98

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sneesby

Re: Elk hunting with mountain bike?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

They work great on gated roads that aren't too brushed in . I know a young hunter (most hunters are young to me) that uses a MT bike and a trailer each year in the late season in WA with great success. Slim9300 may pipe in on this thread and give you his insight. Here's my MT bike setup with (shameless plug) a MT Scabbard mounted on it which holds my bow. The other option for your bow is the old standby Primos Bow Sling which I use on my MT bike and quad.

asset.jpg
asset.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 19118 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby easeup » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I can only surmise that it would be better to have that bow inside some sort of cover to keep the mud and debris out of the cam and strings.

but it sure ought to work in relatively flat country.
easeup

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Ahh, didn't you see my super cool, streamlined, rear fender to fight off mud splatter :D The bow scabbard works very well to secure the bow but yep, a black contractor bag goes over the top of it when I use the attachment in any sort of bad weather. Good tip easeup.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Blue Falcon » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

There was a video at the Full Draw Film Tour where the guys were hunting on mountain bikes. Going up to altitude looked horrible but coming down was easy carrying the whole elk in one trip.
Blue Falcon

First Name: Robert

Postby diggerson » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Haven't actually hunted off of the bike yet, but sure helps cover some quick miles when scouting new country or checking trail cams! This was a test pic to make sure the cam was working :)

Thinking about using the bike this year to get into an area the USFS recently closed off to 4WD/ATV traffic.

I think the video footage Blue Falcon is referring to is the Born and Raised Outdoors guys. Check out their 30 Days DVD, killer elk hunting footage, and yes, much of it is done by accessing elk country on mountain bikes!
diggerson

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I think a mountain bike would be great on well maintained closed roads, but I am too chicken to ever try one again on a rough trail where falling, or running off the trail could mean disaster.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bows4Bulls » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

We used mountain bikes last year for the first time... They were great! We could ride in the first 3 miles of our trail to the wilderness boundary on a decently maintained trail. Going up much of any grade is no fun at all though, it's best just to get off and walk the bike. You can burn yourself out quickly trying to pedal uphill. Our time in wasnt much better than just hiking, but the trip out makes up for it. Two days in a row, we hauled out cows last year. From when we got to the bikes, we coasted the three miles to the truck in less than 20 minutes... With 85+ lb packs each! It made getting the meat out a heck of a lot quicker and easier, not to mention its fun.
I have a basic specialized hard tail with disc brakes. The brakes are the most important thing with heavy packs going downhill. I mounted a rack over the rear wheel, but I found it way unstable to have much weight at all on the rack. It was better to just wear my pack with my bow strapped in to it.
I plan to utilize the bikes again this year!
Bows4Bulls

First Name: Cody
Last Name: Demetro

Postby planebow » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Have been thinking about taking my mt.bike with me this year. Where I hunt there are lots of closed roads that run down the ridges that would get me several miles away from the main roads and hunters. The only problem would be that it would be uphill all the way back to the pickup at the end of the day.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby MT_Nate » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have hunted off my mountain bike for the past 7-8 years. It is an awesome tool to kill miles on low grade forest roads, but has few limitations:
1. Not worth using if the access is technical, steep, or brushy - you work harder than walking sometimes;
2. Sometimes limits your hunt because you end up getting worried about getting back to where you left your bike rather than follow the elk somewhere different.
3. Heavy packs on your back and small bike saddles equal butt-numbing pain after a while. Light packs are no big deal, but once they get heavy or the ride gets long it can become a problem pretty quick.

I agree with Bows4Bulls. Brakes are the most important thing if you if you have significant elevation loss. I do not have disc brakes on either of my mountain bikes, and end up walking instead of freaking myself out once the terrain gets steep.

This year I picked up a B.O.B. Trailer to help counter the butt-splitting pain you can get wearing a heavy pack on a bicycle for a long haul. It should also be useful for hauling meat. Definitely looking forward to it.
MT_Nate

Postby Bullnuts » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Do your bikes "click" when you're coasting? I think this would be an awesome tool for hunting the logging roads that I use to access my area - they're all closed to motor vehicles but a silent mountain bike would be cool.
Bullnuts

Postby POk3s » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have thought about it many times but don't have a ton of use for bowhunting. If I don't fill my tag with my bow I'll be using it. I also thought I'd pick up an old bike trailer kid stroller deal (can you tell I'm 22 years old). Maybe cut the mesh top off and place meat in the trailer.
POk3s

Postby pointysticks » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 13]

i grew up in texas. we used to mountain bike in NM all the time. sometimes every weekend. i now know the area as Unit 34. we would do this long trail that ran from Cloudcroft to a small town called La Luz. i bet it was 40 miles. i didnt elk hunt back then. i was a poor college kid that spent all his money on mountain bike stuff...and girls.

the elk would never be scared of us. they didnt spook when we rode up to them. you get off and walk..phoom! stampede! it was amazing. if i ever draw unit 34, i am biking in.

POk..i had no clue you were so young.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Sneez_98 » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Ya I am going to do it I borrowed a kid trailer for the back, and took it for a test drive behind my house on some rough terrain, I think it's going to work great!
Sneez_98

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sneesby

Postby wideangle » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 15]

We use MTB's for traveling on closed roads in our hunt areas.
I usually ride in pre dawn so a good handlebar light and headlamp are necessary.
I carry a spare tube and frame pump. Plus extra water on the frame cages.
OBTW I dress very lightly while biking and carry my warm stuff in my pack.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Buglemaster » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I tried it once, but the old jeep trail was a bit too much up hill. Only got about a half mile from camp when the up hill went upper.Parked it there & hunted on foot for the rest of the evening. But the ride down was great. I was on my second cold one when my buddies finally walked into camp.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Moose Man » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I've mountain biked a ton in my life but I'm fairly new to hunting. I used my bike for a mule deer hunt last season, pedaled 3 miles of slight uphill, hid the bike and hiked the rest as the trail got really nasty. Had my camping gear with me as I was planning to stay for 2 nights, got lucky later the same day and shot a buck miiiles from the bike. Not knowing better, I decided to turn around pack everything out in one go. By the time I got back to the bike it had been dark for 4 hours, I was as beat as Ive ever been. Even getting up on the bike with the pack/rifle was a challenge. But being able to cover those last 3 miles coasting on and off was amazing. That said, I've downhilled some of the most challenging trails in my days and even though this was a "flat" fireroad, i felt like I pushed the limits pretty good riding with a #100+ pack in the dark with a hiking headlamp.

The above comment on breaks is key, at least if you're going downhill. Riding with all the extra weight on your back makes a huge difference, my breaks were smoking as I got back to the truck and this terrain wasn't too steep. Without a doubt, I'd recommend disc breaks, preferably hydraulics. Also make sure you have good tires (avoid single ply), run sufficient tire pressure so you don't pinch flat, and bring a spare tube/tools. I'd also say it worth having a good reliable bike. If unsure, any bikeshop can give it a quick check up/overhaul, things to look for aside from breaks would be headset adjustment (play would be bad with a lot of weight), bottom bracket/cranks and pedals. Personally, Id rather hunt with crappy optics than put my faith in a crappy bike.. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions!
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby Moose Man » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Bullnuts wrote:Do your bikes "click" when you're coasting? I think this would be an awesome tool for hunting the logging roads that I use to access my area - they're all closed to motor vehicles but a silent mountain bike would be cool.

Yes, most hubs click, some more than others. Pending on the brand, you can install a "silencer" if you want to go stealth. Like someone mentioned though, wildlife doesn't seem to spook that bad while on the bike. I've ridden up on elk while downhilling (LOUD) in New Mexico and they barely got out of the way. Same goes for deer.
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby one_elk » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I too have spent a lot of time riding my mountain bike in various types of elk, deer and pronghorn country with a fairly loud rear hub and have inadvertently ridden up on several animals… great way to get around in the backcountry, realizing of course you can’t use them in Wilderness areas, but can cover a lot of ground pretty quick. Another nice aspect is if the trail has a rocky or steep section you aren’t comfortable with it’s easy to hop off you bike and walk it for a bit hop back on and continue your ride….in pronghorn country I have actually had pronghorn come towards me, out of curiosity I guess, when I have been on my bike…good luck to you
one_elk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Don't have a trailer, or, don't want to make several trips out with up to 100 lbs on your back? Strap bullwinkle to your bike and push it out! It'll look something like the picture below. Here's an aritcle that talks about converting your MT bike into a meat hauler. http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to- ... eat-hauler.
Attachments
DSCN1228_0.jpg
DSCN1228_0.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 18940 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby easeup » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 21]

that's awesome!
easeup

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 22]

This is a way Kool thread. Makes yah think. What's next on the learning list.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Phantom..... I'm thinking with that picture we need to add a "LIKE" button to this forum!!!

Great Idea!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby POk3s » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 24]

pointysticks wrote:POk..i had no clue you were so young.

fraid so!!!
POk3s

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Phantom16 wrote:Don't have a trailer, or, don't want to make several trips out with up to 100 lbs on your back? Strap bullwinkle to your bike and push it out! It'll look something like the picture below. Here's an aritcle that talks about converting your MT bike into a meat hauler. http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to- ... eat-hauler.

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance! M.E.D.U. Mobile Elk Devestation Unit. We have a ton of gated-off roads here in WA, as you know Phantom. I love hunting these areas because I think it improves the quality of the hunts in those areas. No road hunters. My brother and I used a MT bike for a few days 3 or 4 years ago. I actually really liked it on the lower grade to flat roads. Then I rode under a fallen Doug fir and since I had my bow strapped to my pack, I didn't quite clear it. I snapped the quiver right off my bow. :lol: Luckily my bow was okay, but my Bohning 6-arrow quiver was not happy. I haven't really used one since. I was thinking about it again this year for getting out of our main area. The ride down would be excellent, but the way up would be a real slog since it is a consistent, fairly steep grade for the first mile. Definitely would be walking it up that first mile or so. Hmmm . . . more things to ponder . . .
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby RandyVertix » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I’m considering using my mountain bike for a backcountry elk hunt in Colorado this fall. Just wondering if anyone has done this in Colorado and if it’s illegal to ride off the trails. I spoke to someone from the parks office and they said bikes have to stay on trails but I’m just wondering if they actually enforce this and if you could get a ticket. Thanks!
RandyVertix

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 27]

RandyVertix wrote:Sorry I know this is an old thread but I’m considering using my mountain bike for a backcountry elk hunt in Colorado this fall. Just wondering if anyone has done this in Colorado and if it’s illegal to ride off the trails. I spoke to someone from the parks office and they said bikes have to stay on trails but I’m just wondering if they actually enforce this and if you could get a ticket. Thanks!

I don't know if that is the law or not in CO (recommend you confirm it before you head out). If it is in fact the law, I would recommend you just accept it and ensure you don't do any off trail/cross country adventures with your M Bike. You never know who may be watching you ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Just buy a camo bike and dress in full camo and you’ll be invisible! My fat bike...with scabbard.
Attachments
CEB2817B-93AF-431E-9484-70AC3B730B52.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Bike, bike, what bike. I see only a fence, a tree, and a house?
WapitiTalk1

Postby ishy » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Done it some, haven't killed anything yet while biking. You just have to decide if the up hill is worth it. Unless you get an E-bike, then that's a whole nother thread!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L