Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Filming Hunts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Filming Hunts

Postby Garrett Drach » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

A couple questions for those who have filmed hunts. This will be my first year dragging a DSLR and a tripod through the woods in addition to my bow for a week long back country hunt. How do you transport your camera when you are hiking to your first setup or into camp? How do you transport your camera while hunting and have to move? Where do you keep your camera at night when it freezes and don't want condensation to build up? And finally, if you don't have a means to recharge batteries or dump files in a computer (I.e. backcountry hunts) how many batteries and how many memory cards would be required for a week long hunt? If you made any videos from your hunts I'd be interested in seeing them. Thanks.

Garrett
Garrett Drach

First Name: Garrett
Last Name: Drach

Re: Filming Hunts

Postby elkmtngear » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Garrett,
I have a waterproof pouch that sits on the belt on the front of my daypack. Seems to have enough insulation for the colder nights. I like having it right there accessable when I need it.

I use a small Gorillapod for a tripod, or the SLIP System, depending on the type of setup.

2 large capacity batteries and 2 16 GB cards gives me plenty for a 7 day hunt, but I am using a Sony HD Handycam that takes stills as well as video.

Best of luck,
Jeff
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Relentlessly Unforgiving » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

This is what I choose to do. In regards to the elements I sleep with the camera, if I don't freeze neither will it. Second, I use a goal zero solar charging unit, specifically the goal zero nomad 7. This unit allows me to charge my ipad. Yes I take an ipad in the woods in back country for this reason. The camera connection kit allows me to transfer video and pictures to a solid state hard drive. The solid state HD does not require any power to be booted but your standard external HD does. This accomplishes a few things allowing me to review or delete before adding to the HD. The solar unit from goal zero is a must have for anyone planning on recording there hunt more than a few days. Unless you want to plan and expect the batteries to work for an expected amount of time.
Relentlessly Unforgiving

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Robinson

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

JRHOLDSEM wrote:This is what I choose to do. In regards to the elements I sleep with the camera, if I don't freeze neither will it. Second, I use a goal zero solar charging unit, specifically the goal zero nomad 7. This unit allows me to charge my ipad. Yes I take an ipad in the woods in back country for this reason. The camera connection kit allows me to transfer video and pictures to a solid state hard drive. The solid state HD does not require any power to be booted but your standard external HD does. This accomplishes a few things allowing me to review or delete before adding to the HD. The solar unit from goal zero is a must have for anyone planning on recording there hunt more than a few days. Unless you want to plan and expect the batteries to work for an expected amount of time.

Hey JR, is that charger compatable with other products like iPhone, Flip, goPro, etc? Multiple port types?
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Relentlessly Unforgiving » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey JR, is that charger compatable with other products like iPhone, Flip, goPro, etc? Multiple port types?[/quote]

Yes, the nomad 7 will charge tablets, iPhones, go pro and digital cameras. I'm sure it will charge more items but these are the ones I have used. You will also need the guide 10 plus which charges AA and AAA batteries. This is basically your charging station utilizing the USB or AC/DC ports. I provided a link for info only because you can purchase a bunbel pack for a lot cheaper. I would recommend getting the newest model because they have made some nice changes. Talking with the rep this year he told me that they are working on be able to use the panels in series. For example if i had a unit and you did as well we would be able to connect then together and charge at a much quicker rate. Hope this helps.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/11/Nomad ... r%20Panel/
Relentlessly Unforgiving

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Robinson

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

JRHOLDSEM wrote:Hey JR, is that charger compatable with other products like iPhone, Flip, goPro, etc? Multiple port types?

Yes, the nomad 7 will charge tablets, iPhones, go pro and digital cameras. I'm sure it will charge more items but these are the ones I have used. You will also need the guide 10 plus which charges AA and AAA batteries. This is basically your charging station utilizing the USB or AC/DC ports. I provided a link for info only because you can purchase a bunbel pack for a lot cheaper. I would recommend getting the newest model because they have made some nice changes. Talking with the rep this year he told me that they are working on be able to use the panels in series. For example if i had a unit and you did as well we would be able to connect then together and charge at a much quicker rate. Hope this helps.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/11/Nomad ... r%20Panel/[/quote]

Excellent. Thank you for the info! I knew there had to be a better way than hiking all the way down to the car and plugging stuff in when it went dead . . .
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN