Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting too much?????

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting too much?????

Postby 1bigpaddle » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This is my first year elk hunting so every thing is a learning experience. But I've found some good areas one is better than the rest. Here is what I need help with... How much scouting is too much? I set up my trail camera in one spot, and when I went to check it, I had a large bull climb up the steep ridge and stand there looking at me at 10 yards away and there were 5 more bulls grazing about 100 yards farther! which was amazing to see. However, Im afraid to go back and check my camera again because I dont want to spook them or push them. That was a week ago now. When do I go back September with my bow? Or am I going to be fine if I wait another week to check my trail camera? Ive found bedding areas and feeding areas, trails, and watering wallows all in this area. have I scouted enough in this spot? when is enough enough and too much too much?
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny

Re: Scouting too much?????

Postby stickflngr » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like you have found a good spot... I check my cameras every 3 weeks or so and my last check will be this Saturday. Ive had cows at my spot a few hours after Ive been in there so I dont think I disturb them much. When you check your cams try to go in the middle of the day when your less likely to spook them and you should be fine. Good luck :D
stickflngr

Postby otcWill » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'd say, yes, you've scouted enough. Cams are more for fun with elk hunting than anything else IMO. Wait till the opener and go kill that bull! Good luck!
otcWill

Postby JimKirk » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'd say about every three weeks is enough. I may check my areas out once more before sept 1st. I try and go midday when most animals are bedded but have on occasion bumped animals. but they come back around as long as not disturbed too many times. I've started recording statistics on my scouting spots and now have a toss up between two locations. the next camera check will probably determine which will be my opener locations and if thats a toss up, the spot with the bigger bull would get my attention.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Is your trail camera in a bedding area or are you passing through a bedding area to access the camera? If either is the case, I would avoid the area midday. Are you planning on setting up a tree stand or blind in that vicinity? If that is your intent, then I would look around and plan carefully so you cause the least disturbance when you go in and out. I highly doubt the elk are planted fixtures in any one location within your hunting grounds. When you have been going in is a time I would avoid the next trip in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I would make every attempt to know the terrain as much as I could before season.
Get to know the 'lay of the land'. Broaden your area.
There are so many infinite small pieces to the puzzle and you dont want to miss out on what could be just over that ridge or around the next bend.

When season begins, you should have a good idea what the wind and elk are doing.
Then as you hunt, continue your scouting.

I have hunted my areas for 24 years and each year I try to find something new. I am not disappointed
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K