Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling - Bugles

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling - Bugles

Postby LarryBud » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been listening to and practicing my bugles from the Elknut CD. I must admit as a rookie caller the bugles often sound very similar. Cow calls are pretty easy to differentiate and I can mimick the CD. Bugles? Not so much. This is how I have them in my mind.

Location: Two to three seconds, one or two notes, medium air.

Challenge: Max air, more of a scream last until the air is gone.

Regathering/Roundup: A short challenge scream, max air. Lasting about one second.

Chuckles & Grunts: They sound the same to me.

Does this sound about right to the veterans?

Thanks,
LarryBud

Re: Calling - Bugles

Postby Bullnuts » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sounds about right.
Bullnuts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Location (advertising) can be up to 5 seconds. Important thing to is hit a far reaching, high note that will bang off the canyon walls if you're locating. Hold that high note longer than the other notes you make. No grunts should be used with this elk noise.

Challenge/Scream is normally pretty short but can be longer. It's just that, a warning or challenge used to intimidate and PO a bull when you're close in and wish to pee in his cheerios. Creative voice infliction can add realism, i.e., mixing in some lip bawl noises. It's a good sound to use to create an illusion that a bull has moved in on a herd bull and is hooking his cows. This sound works very well (as mentioned) in close and used with some whiny cow sounds thrown over your shoulder showing that you're between a herd bull and perhaps, a cow or cows you (intruder) have taken.

Regathering/Roundup: Not really a challenge but more of an excited "get your butt back here now" sound. I've heard and seen these sounds in action. They can last more than a few seconds and seem to end with a high, last breath note at the end.. It's a very anxious bugle. Hard to explain.

Chuckles & Grunts: They are completely different sounds and must not be confused as they mean different things. Grunts are very seldom used by a hunter. They are intimidating in nature and when used by a hunter, it oftentimes results in Bullwinkle taking his girls over the next ridge, or, the one on the other side of that one. It's a last ditch effort IMO to pull a herd bull off his herd when close. Grunts are spaced farther apart and oftentimes, you can hear the air sucked in between them. Normally only a few are given, 3 or 4, before, by themselves, or after a bugle. Chuckles are "predominately" used to call cows to a bull. They're wimpy in nature, almost pleading. Bulls rattle off a few more of these than grunts, they're spaced very close together, and again... are kind of pleading in nature. Chuckles can be used effectively by themselves or with a bugle. They're a great tool for your elk noise kit bag.

Just my thoughts ;)..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby LarryBud » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Phantom16 wrote:Location (advertising) can be up to 5 seconds. Important thing to is hit a far reaching, high note that will bang off the canyon walls if you're locating. Hold that high note longer than the other notes you make. No grunts should be used with this elk noise.

Challenge/Scream is normally pretty short but can be longer. It's just that, a warning or challenge used to intimidate and PO a bull when you're close in and wish to pee in his cheerios. Creative voice infliction can add realism, i.e., mixing in some lip bawl noises. It's a good sound to use to create an illusion that a bull has moved in on a herd bull and is hooking his cows. This sound works very well (as mentioned) in close and used with some whiny cow sounds thrown over your shoulder showing that you're between a herd bull and perhaps, a cow or cows you (intruder) have taken.

Regathering/Roundup: Not really a challenge but more of an excited "get your butt back here now" sound. I've heard and seen these sounds in action. They can last more than a few seconds and seem to end with a high, last breath note at the end.. It's a very anxious bugle. Hard to explain.

Chuckles & Grunts: They are completely different sounds and must not be confused as they mean different things. Grunts are very seldom used by a hunter. They are intimidating in nature and when used by a hunter, it oftentimes results in Bullwinkle taking his girls over the next ridge, or, the one on the other side of that one. It's a last ditch effort IMO to pull a herd bull off his herd when close. Grunts are spaced farther apart and oftentimes, you can hear the air sucked in between them. Normally only a few are given, 3 or 4, before, by themselves, or after a bugle. Chuckles are "predominately" used to call cows to a bull. They're wimpy in nature, almost pleading. Bulls rattle off a few more of these than grunts, they're spaced very close together, and again... are kind of pleading in nature. Chuckles can be used effectively by themselves or with a bugle. They're a great tool for your elk noise kit bag.

Just my thoughts ;)..

Thanks,

Great info. I think I'll stay away from grunts and chuckles as I'm not I know which one I'll be producing.
LarryBud