Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fires and closures

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fires and closures

Postby twinkieman » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well, it happened, a fire has ruined my elk hunt in the unit in Idaho, that I have been hunting. Only two real choices for me, 1. Locate to a zone I know nothing about with only a couple of weeks to prepare.2.Hunt Oregon, where I have hunted in the past, and there is a third choice I don't want to consider, no elk hunting at all this year. :cry:
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Re: Fires and closures

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't like your third option. That definitely stinks. Personally I would go with #2 since you know the area. If you are limited in time, then familiarity could make a real difference. If you live in Oregon then you also save some significant funds by hunting in State.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

This happened to me last year. The night before we were to head to our area I was having dinner with my parents in twin falls, watching the news when it said "closed." My heart sank. I called Paul and he gave us some leads to look into. Got to explore some new country and still had a great time.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby twinkieman » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Swede, No. Cal resident, time is not a factor, semi-retired, planned on being in elk country last 3 weeks of Sept. If I choose option #2, I hope my method of R&G isn't anywhere near your tree(grin). Just kidding. One of the reasons I left hunting in Ore., was the number of hunters I encountered. I can go anywhere, a couple of the guys in camp are somewhat limited, hence my indecision. If it were just me, I would shoulder up my back and go deep into some areas I know hold a fair number of elk. Researching elsewhere in Idaho already.
twinkieman

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Twinkleman: It is quite alright to R&G past my stand. Everyone else does. You just have to get in line and wait your turn. There is no use running and gunning past my stand if you cannot run off some elk, so you really need to get there early. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Twinkleman: It is quite alright to R&G past my stand. Everyone else does. You just have to get in line and wait your turn. There is no use running and gunning past my stand if you cannot run off some elk, so you really need to get there early. :D

Isn't there a "Now Serving Number..." sign somewhere near your stand Swede? LOL!

That does stink Tinkleman. The fires in the west are devastating. Hope you find a new spot.
Bullnuts

Postby Lefty » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Its creepy every time that huge DC-10 flies over my place. For a few hours the smoke was real bad here at home. visibility was less than 6 miles

Last year a lot of my unit burned,..Not much area,left, The OOS came and left the first day, fewer elk, fewer people. This year there are still some elk around,.. I only have one tag, I only need one elk. :shock:
Maybe your hunt wont be what it has been in the past and the elk may be out of the burn area, But I got on a n elk on a burn, and a herd just a few hundred yars from a burn,..
Fire doesnt mean they are gone.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ChukarNUT » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

twinkieman, thats a real bummer! i work fires part-time in conjunction with my DOC job, and know how devastaing that can be! i am willing to help a brother out if you want, have some pretty good country to hunt and the company would be nice. Send you a PM.
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby twinkieman » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks to all, for your condolences. I also appreciate the help some of you have offered :D . That is what makes this forum so special.
twinkieman

Postby twinkieman » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Thanks to all who helped with info and encouragement. Several of you have sent PM's, and all is not lost . We have been able to piece together enough reliable info to know which unit we will be trading our 43 tags for. While it isn't our happy hunting grounds of the past, they area we will be going to may be the happy hunting ground of the future!
twinkieman

Postby eriks. » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Good attitude twinkieman! Sorry that your first choice didn't work out. Maybe it won't burn overly hot and next year it will be a real magnet with new growth.

Sometimes great opportunities come from great disappointments...not to wax to philosophical.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons