Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

October bugling in Montana?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

October bugling in Montana?

Postby BMF11 » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

The countdown was at 35 days until my Montana archery hunt and I broke my foot this week. Doc has me on a no weight bearing restriction for 6 weeks, crutches and a fracture boot aircast. This is going to setback my elk hunt for the year. My goal is to still go with bow towards the end of season,however in MT i have the added option to go with rifle in Nov. so I can at least put my boots on the ground in this area for the first time. Since this area is new to me, I was relying heavily on being able to locate elk by their vocals. I'm wondering of your experiences with vocal elk in mid October? And especially in Montana. I realize that there's ALOT of variables here! But generally speaking, is there still a fair amount of vocalization at that time of year?

Thanks and Good luck to all!
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Re: October bugling in Montana?

Postby under H2O hunter » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I can't speak for Montana but in Colorado I both archery and 1st rifle hunt and I have called elk into 30 yards with soft bugles and cow calls in the 2nd and 3rd week of October. I have heard elk talking in November as well but I have never tried to call them in that late. Remember that elk make sounds all year long. I am sure a lot depends on when they rut. In Colorado the last couple of years it seems that the rut is very late so 1st rifle season is over pretty quick for my group. I think this year will be different. We are already having very cool temperatures for August. So I think the rut will come early this year... Good luck.
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Postby montanabrown » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i live in southwest montana and ive heard elk bugle opening morning of rifle. last year they seemed to rut late so they were still relatively active in mid october. a lot will depend on this weather also. it snowed around six inches in early october a few years ago and we never heard another elk sound that year.
montanabrown

First Name: michael
Last Name: brown-silva

Postby Indian Summer » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Lots of experience in that department. Of course that can definitely be area dependent. Things can get pretty quiet come October but not totally silent. You only need one bugle then so that's good enough right. I've heard bulls bugle until about November 3rd but that's an extreme example. On the opener of gun it would not be at all unusual to hear a bugle. Most likely though it will be a 5 point or smaller bull. The big boys are wore out by then although there's still a good chance they are running with the herd. But once the guns start booming and it doesn't take many, the mature bulls will separate and eventually some of them will form bachelor groups. So yes you may hear a bugle but if I had to put my chips anywhere during gun season it would be on my binoculars.

Last year a bull bugled on opening morning from sunrise until 9 am. He died at about 9:15, a small 4 by 5.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby westaner » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've had bulls screaming for the first few days of october then start up again around the 14th of october . I usually don't bugle ,but let them sound off and move in and ambush.
The middle of october is the third rut ,so its just a few unbred cows. But can be fun!
Good luck :!:
westaner

First Name: K.C.