Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dan Moore the Elk expert...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dan Moore the Elk expert...

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I got this from Bowsite.com and it really seems to contradict what most people are telling me.

For starters Dan Moore who I guess is one of the best elk hunters in the world said that he hates cow calls, and that he only uses a bugle...

He said you want to kill rag horns use a cow call but if you want to kill a herd bull only use a bugle... SO is there much truth to that?

This interview was done and recorded by one of the guys on Bowsite.

He answers 25 questions. What you guys think?

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/int ... nmooreelk/
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Re: Dan Moore the Elk expert...

Postby Bullnuts » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've called in some pretty big bulls with a cow call so I have to disagree. In fact, before everyone in the woods was using an estrus whine, I was using it and calling in huge bulls. Yes, I call in a lot of small bulls and cows, but the big 'uns come in too.
Bullnuts

Postby Trophyhill » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

well for 1...the proof is in the pudding and Big Dan has killed more big elk than anybody I've heard of so imho the results speak for themselves. you also have to realize that being aggressive is his style and nature and it works for him. he is going after herd bulls and seems to know how to "git er done". i listened to the interview the other day and i paid close attention to the segment on solo hunting. i thought it was a great interview and provided insight into an "average joe" diy hunters point of view from an average joe diy hunter.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bullnuts wrote:I've called in some pretty big bulls with a cow call so I have to disagree. In fact, before everyone in the woods was using an estrus whine, I was using it and calling in huge bulls. Yes, I call in a lot of small bulls and cows, but the big 'uns come in too.

+1

Just Big Dan's hunting style. But IMHO, only using bugles will restrict the caller's options.

I think many agree ElkNut is also one of the best elk hunters in the world and he does use cow calls.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Interesting interview. The old elk hunter has lots of good information he shares but I don't agree with all of it, as, he probably doesn't agree with some other tactics that are currently being used. We all have our own opinions on how things should/could be done based on our experience. I 100% agree with Bullnuts on the cow calling topic. I have seen way too many herd/big bulls disappear over the next ridge, or, the ridge on the other side of that one when I used big and bad bull sounds (particularly when not timed correctly). What do bulls want during the rut, cows, yes? Not sure why a guy wouldn't want to be able to use quality cow noises to get in close to big stinky.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby twinkieman » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Every calling situation is different, and every bull is different. I've called in 6 pt bulls with nothing but a cow call. I've vcalled in 6 pt bulls bugling and raking, and using a form of the threat. I think Dan Moore is entitled to his opinion, but I would have to disagree.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Coveyleader » 08 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I know Danny and have hunted with him. He is very opinionated, but he is an excellent bow hunter! He has killed a ton elk and deer in some areas most won't go. I can tell you this, his bugle is awesome and If I could call like that I'd only use a bugle as well.
He has killed multiple bulls In MT and ID in in the same year and with his success, he has a right be opininated. We all have things that we truly believe in and He's no different. There is/was a lot to learn from him.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby Bullnuts » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I agree that everyone has their own methods that they like. If I put a percentage on my own calling, I'm probably 85% cow calls, 14.5% bugles, and .5% raking and breaking. It works for me, and while I won't call what I do a system, I can say that it's a method that seems to work and is strictly based on the behavior of the elk.
Bullnuts

Postby Pop-r » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Why was the link removed?!
Pop-r

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Not sure why link was removed? John must have not liked it there? (grin)

I know Danny, he's a very good guy & has a great elk hunting success rate. He's not saying cow calls do not work on any bulls he's saying he just prefers bugling instead & has great success with it! I will say I have not seen the article or his comments but we've talked on the phone several times & he's sincere in his ways. Danny is Danny & Coveyleader sums him up well. (grin)

As far as truth to Kevins question, you bet bugling is powerful & effective. We call in more bulls especially Herd Bulls with bull sounds over cow sounds as cow sounds can attract the cows, spikes & raggies 1st in most hunting situations, when this happens the hunter can be busted as these elk go in search mode for the elk they heard calling. (you) If after the biggest bull there as is Danny then he chooses to take the unwanted elk out of the equation by staying with challenges & threats at close distances that generally will attract the herd bull 1st! We do this same thing & it pays great dividends. When working herd bulls we will use an occasional cow sound & bull challenge together. In other instances a Challenge only but when tallying up the dominant sounds used towards herd bulls we are 90% bull sounds 10% cow sounds.

I once wrote on bowsite years ago a Topic entitled "Bugle Big For Bigger Bulls" -- Danny saw this & called me to ask about my topic as he said it was the 1st time anyone had made such a statement & he agreed with it 100%. He wanted to know how I came to that conclusion, the answer was simple, we've brought in over a 100 herd bulls with the use of bull sounds. Bull sounds are much more than just a classic bugle so for those of you thinking we just bugle and elk come running it goes well beyond that!

All in all Dan is a good guy & I'd hunt alongside him any day, who needs a cow call anyway! (grin) Yes, I do use them & yes they have their place after all not everyone is after the bigger bulls! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JGH » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Just listened to Danny's interview. I found it very helpful, even though he and I are not hunting for the same class of animals. And he says it right in the interview, several times, and ends with "If you can't bugle, don't bugle" ... he even has some positive things to say about cow calling, and advises people to learn to cow call.

It's clear -- he is after herd bulls, and has a very thoroughly tested means of taking them. Me? I'm after a legal elk and a week of wilderness. A little different.

I was more interested in his comments on his preferred shot: The quartering-to shot.

As a lone-hunter, his comments on that shot were helpful.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I spent an entire month hunting with Danny in Alaska. You learn a lot about a guy when you are stuck with them for that long of a time. And I'll have to admit that Danny often sounds like sort of a bragger. But I will also say there was never one single time that he couldn't back up his stories with fact. And during all the time we were hunting together, I don't think elk hunting was even mentioned over once or twice. We were after bear. And Danny is one of the best bear hunters on the planet. He has baiting down to a science. Guess you could call him a Master baiter! LOL!

He is short and to the point on just about everything he says or does. No beating around the bush at all. We all have our own style of hunting and Danny has proven his methods to work over and over. You can't argue with success!

So if you don't like a few of his comments, go ahead and do it your own way. Then see if you can come even close to the number of elk he has taken.

Over all, outside of my own family, there are only two hunters in the world I would take a bullet for any day. One is Elknut and the other is Danny Moore.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I got a Bowsite message the other day announcing they had an interview with Danny Moore. I thought about watching it then, but I was busy, so I decided to postpone it for awhile. Like Elknut, I still haven't got around to it. After reading several posts above including WW's, I got to thinking that there is a common thread among relatively experienced hunters. Besides loving the hunt, they are interested in learning, but not necessarily interested in copying someone else. Everyone has to eventually figure out what they want and what works for them.
In a way, I would like to be hunting elk 100 years from now. Personally I will be gone, but I would like to be a small part of a stepping stone, used time and again by others, to reach their elk hunting goal. Tomorrow morning I am heading out to camp. I will be scouting and setting things up. I feel rushed. As I head back into a highly pressurized o.t.c. public land area, I hope my tired old eyes, and experience work together again for another dead elk. Before I leave, I want to stop and wish all of you the best on your hunts. I may be back in a couple weeks for a short time, and it may be five weeks until I return. In the mean time, All The Best to each of you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 18, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Haven't seen the interview. Funny though the other night, camped at 10K listening to the cows I said to a friend... I know this really good bow hunter who swears he never even carries a cow call. He said the guy is nuts. I said yeah well he's killed more elk with a bow than you and everyone you know put together. But one thing I guess he couldn't tell you is how many more opportunities he may have had by using one occasionally right? Heck I use them to locate sometimes. Can't be anything wrong with that can there? But if you look at the facts of Big Dan's elk hunting career you just might leave it home. The guy has slayed em! Let me know how that goes. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Pop-r » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

John, i would love to see the link/interview. Can it be reposted on here?
Pop-r

Postby mongopino915 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

During the rut, it can be assumed that the more dominant herd bull in the surrounding area is typically also one of the more mature bull. If the you are targeting mature bull and not just any bull, cow calling will get little to no success at luring in the big boy. Assuming you are within the zone, send out a young soft bugle and you might or might not get a response. Send out a nasty lip brawl and you will surely hear the fire in his eyes.
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Hey guys, the link is back at the top in Kevins original post. John had removed it feeling it was inappropriate from past discussions him & I had about what's OK & what wasn't to post on this Forum, of course subject matter comes into play. Anyway no harm no foul, feel free to check it out. I'll post it here as well.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/int ... nmooreelk/

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Huntography » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Listening to it now. Great 1st hand insight.

Thanks for sharing.

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Bowhunter » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Great Interview a lot of usefull information I wish I had several years ago.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby chrisschwarz » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I do not read everything but I try and get as much info as I can for elk and deer. You can always learn something new or put another tip in the bank that you could use someday when nothing else is working for you. It's always worth a try.

The info I liked about it was getting below the bulls so they feel like the have the upper hand.

Got to get back and watch Elknuts DVD again.......burned up two mouth reeds already. LOL
chrisschwarz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Schwarz

Postby flystrait » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 21]

This guy is awesome at he does. I also do believe in bugle big for big bulls. I have cow called, but very limited in the many years. When I have I called in cows and smaller bulls. Since this bugle big approach we very rarely call in cows and younger bulls. When we close that distance and just strictly challenge mature bulls things happen fast and it’s a high percentage that do commit.
flystrait

Postby cnelk » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Mr Moore is an expert at what he does, it is very well documented.

But dont take away from the 'other' experts that dont just want to hunt/kill big bulls.

Give credit to those that hunt with persistence, perseverance and are 'experts' in putting an elk [any elk] on the ground.
A feat that avoids many hunters each year.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby flystrait » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 23]

cnelk wrote:Mr Moore is an expert at what he does, it is very well documented.

But dont take away from the 'other' experts that dont just want to hunt/kill big bulls.

Give credit to those that hunt with persistence, perseverance and are 'experts' in putting an elk [any elk] on the ground.
A feat that avoids many hunters each year.

I absolutely agree with your statement! Just because I or anybody else does things different from one or another, does not mean they are not an expert. Nor is their accomplishment is any less being any elk or the experience they look for. Thanks for pointing this out cnelk. This is why this forum is fantastic with great people. It's great we can all share and learn from each other.

Craig
flystrait

Postby Bow4Elk » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 24]

We use mostly the challenge bugle for bulls. Get close and make them see funny things cause they are so mad. It makes it easier to do when you can only hunt bulls also. Doesn't do any good to call in a cow unless she is bringing the big boy in with her. That has happened too. Once we locate him we get close and try to call him in. If that isn't working then we throw out the cow and bull sounds like we are stealing a cow. Sometimes you worry about getting run over in the brush country. They can't see more than 10-20 yards and that is close when they are ticked off. Can't wait for it to happen this year.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby Kevrod3 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Elknut and John thank you for reposting the original post. I wasn't meaning to start any fights, I'm just a beginner and want the best info I can
get! I'm enjoying the feedback on Elknut Forums and like I posted before.... I've never been to a site with more people dedicated to helping others out!!! THANKS!!!!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby Glacier Country » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Guys I sat in Danny Moores bow shop here in town and listened to elk hunting story after elk hunting story. Dan is not just an elk slayer though, he is an animal slayer PERIOD.
He has taught and helped so many guys here to become better hunters. Excellent elk hunters are around every corner here.
I used to go and knock on his camper sometimes,just to ask him questions after my days hunt just to get any little tidbits to try to figure things out. He is also a walking talking topo map.I called him last summer just to chat and thanked him for helping me out a little in the beginning. I always reasoned that if I could just sound a little bit like Dan then I might have at least some of his success.
I also use a lot of bull sounds and am definitely not afraid to sound big and mean. I will say that the biggest bulls I ever have called in all came to the bugle.
Now Dan also spends a bunch of time fighting for the rights of Montana Bowhunters. Helping with The Montana Bowhunters Association and making trips to Helena to talk to the legislature on issues that affect public land bowhunting. Thanks For everything over the years Dan, keep on fighting the good fight. Thanks again Troy
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 27]

To me and I have never heard of Dan Moore, he knows what he's talking about and sounds like he is very passionate about elk hunting. Everything he says makes sense and is tested, tried and true in the elk woods. I to am a bugling hunter. I use a cow call when its needed but prefer to use a bugle. He never says he does not believe in cow calling just for the elk he is looking for(300+) a bugle works better for him. Thanks for posting and I am a more knowledgeable hunter after listening to Dan talk.
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby Elkaddict » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Sucobowhunter wrote:To me and I have never heard of Dan Moore, he knows what he's talking about and sounds like he is very passionate about elk hunting. Everything he says makes sense and is tested, tried and true in the elk woods. I to am a bugling hunter. I use a cow call when its needed but prefer to use a bugle. He never says he does not believe in cow calling just for the elk he is looking for(300+) a bugle works better for him. Thanks for posting and I am a more knowledgeable hunter after listening to Dan talk.

I feel the same way. The last few years the feeling around these parts has been " don't bugle you're just screwing things up!" So I pretty much keep my thoughts to myself and hit the woods raking and bugling. I continue to cow call and pull in small bulls but do prefer getting a big bull P oed. Enjoyed the interview, more ideas for the arsenal! Nice and wet in AZ, going to be a good rut!
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby recurve » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I'm a traditional shooter and I am interested in this idea. I passed on this very shot several years ago on a small raghorn. I always said he just never offered me a shot. I've been told for years its a bad shot position so I've never given it much thought. Now I'm reading about a guy that has killed a heck of a lot of elk that is advocating this exact shot in the right circumstances. It certainly works for Mr. Moore but I'm just wondering about non- compound shooters. I understand the overlying qualification about his statements is that this isn't a shot for the unskilled shooter. I certainly think for trad shooters the distance recommendation is most likely half of what Mr. Moore is recommending, plus you still need to be a darn good shot under pressure.

If a guy is at 5-10 yards with a recurve at full draw and this shot presents itself, is it an ethical shot with traditional equipment? I know Paul and some of his gang shoot trad. Any of the rest of you out there that shoot traditional chime in if you would. I shoot heavy arrows and seem to have no problem with penetration as long as I stay away from heavy bone.

Thanks,

Chris
recurve

First Name: Chris

Postby westaner » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Glad to see this shown on here! I gonna try his blast sound ,any body know what it may mean? Answer me or show yourself?
I could tell dan wanted to mention names of instructional dvds but primos was the only one he could say.
The other thing I carried away was getting first crack at the bull before he gets educated.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby planebow » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 31]

The sound was not clear on the interview but I believed is the same as elknuts nervous grunt
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard