Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thank You All!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thank You All!

Postby mtnmutt » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Before everyone pulls out for their beloved elk hunting grounds, I wish to extend my deepest and warmest thank you to each and every one of you.

Both veteran elk hunters and new elk hunters have been a tremendous help to me these last 8 months. You all are great teachers and mentors.

The veteran elk hunters shared way more than I could ever hope for. You avoided rehashing the stuff you read in hunting magazines and gave explicit details of a variety of tactics. While Swede's story about urinating on a bear from his treestand was not an elk strategy, it did provide the needed humor to help keep us all grounded as we hit the books on our learning.

New elk hunters asked questions that I never thought to ask. Their contribution cannot be ignored.

Thank you!

I wish you all a safe and successful hunting season.
Patricia, elknut graduate. Grade TBD on October 1st.
mtnmutt

Re: Thank You All!

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

We all will be waiting for your success photos Patricia. I have a feeling it will happen for you this year. Just stay out from under Swede's tree. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Aw shucks! :oops:

Last week hiking in western Wyoming I was thinking sorta the same thing: Pretty soon everyone is going to step away from the keypad and go our separate ways. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about you Patricia. I have this guide blood in me or something that makes me feel some pressure for others to succeed. I take their hunts personally. I truly wish you and everyone else on here... especially those looking for their first elk the best of luck. I look at this year as the first one for this forum and if just a couple people come back and say that it played some part in their good fortune it will have come full circle. Especially you, Albuquerque girl, a guy I know as Simple Life, and my rookie partner from Minnesota. Oh yeah you too Buckeye John... you sure are due! Of course I wish everyone the best of luck but I know some have really done their homework all year long. Please be safe up in the hills, make sure you keep it fun, and please keep us posted as soon as you can.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby cnelk » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Patricia
You will have a successful season.... guaranteed!

I hope my replies to your PMs will be a part of that success
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Awesome!! Thats all I can say..Awesome!! I agree with you mtnmutt.. I have been a fan of elknut products and even had emails with Paul before this site was around and the people on this site are awesome!! From the admins to the seasoned elk hunters to the rookies.. They DO care if people that they don't even really know succeed and have a great hunt (me included, I care) and for that, that is the reason I come to this page daily,(prob 10 times a day) and have tons of respect for the elknuts crew and lots of people on this site. So from me here in Summit county, co.... THANK YOU!! and hopefully your arrows fly straight :D :D
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

That was really SWEET. Happy hunting to you and to the rest of the elk nuts here as well.
Dave
Triplebhunters
Rookie
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby mtnmutt » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Brad, Yes. Especially these last few weeks when I was started to freak out with the new string tuning issues and developing TP. Went with some advice you posted. Yesterday after doing blind bale shooting for 2 days, I started shooting just one arrow per target. I am not there yet but close. I am behind on the my shooting because of all the tuning issues, however, I have faith that I will be ready on August 31st.

In fact, many people sent me PMs lately that have boosted my confidence. I am very grateful that all of you took the time out of your busy lives to send those PMs.

Sucobowhunter, I used to live in Summit County and nearby counties. Unfortunately, I did not hunt when I lived in the mountains. I may be hunting mule deer later in September near you because I have a tag there. I wish you well and great success. I noticed in one Wilderness there, the elk were heavily using the hiking trail through this dark timber area. Very surprising to see heavy elk usage on a hiking trail. In the past, I only saw deer use hiking trails. No doubt, you did more scouting than the rest of us and already know were to slip in one them on August 31st.

I still have much learning to do, but I have learned far more these last 8 months than I did in my first 3 seasons.
mtnmutt

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have actually found a bunch of trails where the elk were using human trails. I found it odd also.. Good luck to ya this year and if you need some muley advice hit me up. :)
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby Trophyhill » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

go kill a bigun Patricia!
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby bnsafe » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

good luck to all, stay safe and have a blast. and a huge heartfelt THANKYOU to all the folks on here for helping out with all the questions. there is something "mystical" about the elk and I think sometimes us rookies overthink it and forget to just hunt. take care all.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby G Posik » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Wishing everyone a safe and successful season. I will be headed to the mountain in 7-1/2 days. I will be calling for a couple guys in my group that have not shot elk YET. I think this year they will be first time elk killers. I have been working hard with the longbow and just as hard with the elk calls.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby baddaddy » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Good luck to all of you and be safe.
baddaddy

Postby fm » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Good luck to you this year mtnmutt. Sounds like you are ready, and have a good plan. Take lots of pics.
I want to thank you and the others that gave me tips on cleaning my sleeping bag. It turned out just like new. :D
fm
fm

Postby easeup » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

best wishes to you from here also.
easeup

Postby Buglemaster » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Good luck Patricia! This will be the year, I just seem to know these things :ugeek: Lotsa pics!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby planebow » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Good luck mtnmutt. With all the work you have put into this I believe this will be your year.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Wapiti » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Good luck and continue to be confident as it goes a long way !! You have all the tools to get the job done. Most of all be safe and have fun and take time to enjoy just being out there !!

You have already been successful.....you just haven't realized it yet !! LOL

Go get'em !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Bullnuts » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Awesome Patricia! Best of luck for a safe, successful hunt. Take lots of photos!
Bullnuts

Postby Z Barebow » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Good luck! You have done your diligence and are due.

I'll be viewing everyone's success as I won't head out until Sept 21. Keep the wind in your face and aim small.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby elkmtngear » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 20]

This is going to be your Year mtnmutt...I can feel it! ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 21]

mtnmutt, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've gone back into lurk mode lately to absorb as much as I can from the experienced (and kind and generous) elk hunters on here.
Muchas gracias, everyone.
And good luck, mtnmutt!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 22]

You got this!
I may acutally try peeing from my stand this year to fill my bear tag :lol:
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN