Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getting close to September-Drew Big Bull tag

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getting close to September-Drew Big Bull tag

Postby Thrasher » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hi, my name is Corey, new to the forum from WA State. Looks like a lot of great info and a great group of guys here :)

Decided to take up archery about 5 years ago and this year we were fortunate enough to draw big bull tags in WA State. We have been scouting literally every weekend since mid-July to get a good lay of the land and start trying to pattern the elk in our area. We had been seeing several animals on our cameras down in lower elevations (around 4000 feet) but they really weren't in areas that were anything dark, nasty or overly hidden. Also, most of the pics on the camera were coming during the night. None during the day.

Last Saturday, we hiked in and came across a group of about 30 animals, mostly cows and a few spikes around 5600 feet. Then we stumbled across a 5x6 and a 6x7 slowly feeding along a bench below us. They had no idea we were there, so once they passed, we placed our cams in this area. This area had been heavily used just by the looks of all the sign in there. Also, this area has a few good wallows (that haven't been used for a couple weeks), great water sources (flowing spring) and ample food and cover. We went back in 8-17 to pull our camera cards after letting them soak for one week... 2 cameras... 2 pics of a cow and calf. That's it...

At this point, we are VERY confused as to what we should think. This area seems so good with everything it has to offer, so I don't get it. This area is full of MANY rubs, from several years previous. They are everywhere. It's a great bench on the Northside of a fairly steep slope, running springs, wallows, etc...

So much to offer, but now they are gone? I don't get it....

Since I am fairly new to archery elk... I was hoping for some solid input for what to expect at this point. Should I be focussing my efforts now down in the low lands with the local herds that contain all the cows and spikes that we had been seeing earlier or stay put and wait this spot out?

Sorry for all the questions, but I could really use some insight.

Thank you very much in advance.

Corey

-
Thrasher

First Name: Corey
Last Name: T

Re: Getting close to September-Drew Big Bull tag

Postby Indian Summer » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Don't hit the panic button. Elk naturally move on instead of over grazing an area or worse sticking around until predators find their current hangout. Just move over to just beyond the next major ridge in every direction until you find those cows again. If you want to save footsteps and have a plan do some hunting on the map first. Those cows are your bait with the rut coming up. Find them and the bulls won't be far. Pretty soon they'll be with those herds. Eventually they will make their loop and be back where they were before. Also other elk could move into that area since it sounds like they like it there. I saw herds down near Dayton and they seemed to move a lot mid day so don't worry you'll find the buggers. Didn't take you long to spot a good bull so count your blessings... you could be elkless in Seattle!

Please give us an update after your hunt. Always wondered how the hunting was in those limited WA areas.

Best of luck & welcome to Elknut forums.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

welcome to the forum thrasher.
and good luck with THE tag.
easeup

Postby twinkieman » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Remember, as the rut nears the bulls will come down to the cows and gather them up, then move the herd back up into the higher stuff. Don't rely on just the visuals, on camera, or sight, they will begin bugling, and you'll be able to locate them by sound as well. Good luck, you will find them :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby eriks. » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:... you could be elkless in Seattle!

Nice reference! Too funny. That condition really would make one "sleepless".

Welcome to the forum Thrasher! You'll like it here.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby Thrasher » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

and.... if things weren't interesting enough as it was... Just found out that there is a forest fire roughly 2 miles from the area we had as our main target area. :(
Thrasher

Postby Thrasher » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bummer.... now found out that they close our area due to the fire currently burning! I really hope they get it under control.
Thrasher

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Man thrasher, that blows. Well, they've got a week and a half to get it snuffed. I know it's very tough to get a decent draw tag in our state so I wish you the best of luck if you are able to hunt.. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the fire thing.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Corey, welcome to the Forum, bud, nice to have you, hope all turns out OK on your hunt, fires have postponed a few in the past!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Thrasher » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Went and pulled pics from cams today. Had this one getting up close with our cam. Can't really tell how big but looks decent? Hopefully they get the fire out soon!!!!!!

Thrasher