Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

South CO Weather

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

South CO Weather

Postby Chaza402 » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been watching the weather for where I hunt in the San Juans and was wondering if it was actually raining as much as my weather app has said. If so does anybody down that way have any elk activity updates or predictions for when the rut might be?

Im taking a stab at the Lurking Post and decided I needed to step out of the shadows and pursue the "Day Walker " status due to the guilty feeling i now have acknowledged from gaining all the valuable info this site has so freely offered me.

Thanks to all who post and a special thanks to Paul for helping us further our knowledge for the animals we seek to encounter!
Chaza402

Re: South CO Weather

Postby eriks. » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the light Chaza! lol

I've been watching the weather there also for the Weminuche area. While it looks to have rained on most days, the total amounts daily are very small. Anywhere from .01's of inch to .1's. Hopefully it will be sufficient to keep the fire threat down. Good luck on your hunt. Wish I had some first hand info to pass on and answer your questions.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby otcWill » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Weather won't be a factor at all for you Chase. I'll be lope hunting with a guy from the area this weekend who has hunted there for 30 years. I'm guessing he'll have some solid info for me! Talked to him the other day and he had just heard his first throaty bugles so I'd say your dates should be very good for this year.
otcWill

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We're in the N. American monsoon right now. Lots of moisture coming up from the Gulf, so depending on how the pressure sets up you can get light rain to a whole bunch of rain - it's very localized and not affecting every area of the state or even every area of a county. Parts of Eastern CO got several inches of rain last weekend, but a couple miles down the road got nothing. Areas that are under thunderstorms are generally getting several of inches of water out of each storm, so you might have a bunch of standing water in your area.
Bullnuts