Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Area! Need new maps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Area! Need new maps

Postby twinkieman » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys , fire closures forced me to move, now I need new maps. Where is the best source, haven't needed to update in the last decade. I'm sure there are better sources for maps than there were ten years ago, all suggestions would be a great help. Thanks !!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Re: New Area! Need new maps

Postby BMF11 » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Go to mytopo.com and check out their maps. Alot of options to customize the map to your needs and wants.
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The USGS website. I didn't order them, I just downloaded them to my PC, then uploaded them to an FTP site for my local print shop, and they were able to print them off to me, to scale, in under 2 hours. Downloading the maps, having them printed, and laminated with 3ml laminate, (which is still fold able), i have less than $30 in 2 full size, to scale USGS maps, which are aerial view with topography lines on them. If your nearest print shop doesn't have an FTP upload site, you can simply drag and drop them to a CD, and drop your CD off with them. Good Luck!!!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby mtnmutt » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I buy the the national geographic trails illustrated map and then go buy a 1:24000 customized map from mytopo.com in the smallest size. The mytopo is the one I carry while hunting. I was only getting their topo option, but last night I broke open the wallet for the hybrid aerial/topo of my area.

Make sure you confirm with another source forest service road numbers and open and closed. For one of mytopo, it had mislabeled forest service road numbers and still has 4wd on something that has been to closed to motorized traffic for years. The trails illustrated map has it correctly marked as a hiking trail.
mtnmutt

Postby twinkieman » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks all for the help with the map question. Got my new maps from the printer today. Good luck to all :)
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson