Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Kids and elk hunting!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Kids and elk hunting!

Postby Bullnuts » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

How many of you will be introducing your kids to elk hunting this year? My oldest is in his 5th year, my twins will be on their 3rd trip. My oldest can only hunt weekends this year due to college but my twins will be with me a solid week. Hoping that they will finally get an opportunity to connect this year - we've had a lot of close encounters for them over the past few years but they just haven't been able to seal the deal. I'll never forget calling a 5 point in last year and listening to my son's breathing as that bull covered 75 yards to stop in front of us at 50. It was outside his shooting range, but my son was totally wired through the whole experience. Wish I had gotten it on video!
Bullnuts

Re: Kids and elk hunting!

Postby wapitibowman » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Just found out today my son drew a late season cow tag. He is turning 12 on 11/30/13, the hunt begins 12/1/13. Really excited for him, but it will be with rifle. Hopefully bowhunting next year.

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby Bullnuts » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Sweet! No matter the method, that first hunt is going to be a blast! I have so many photos and memories from the first time they hunted with me. Very cool having hunting partners that you bring up.
Bullnuts

Postby elk-n-walleye » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bullnuts wrote:Sweet! No matter the method, that first hunt is going to be a blast! I have so many photos and memories from the first time they hunted with me. Very cool having hunting partners that you bring up.

My kids won't be going with me for a few years yet. However, I introduced them to the idea of elk hunting when they were 4 and 3 years old (now 6 and 5). My wife and I hear them on occasion playing in there room using their voices to make elk sounds. I laugh with pride but my wife kind of rolls her eyes. They have their little Bear bow and they both shot my 22 rifle a few times this past summer while I was sighting in my 30-06. They had their grandpa there with them too helping to carry on the hunting heritage. I think grandpa was pretty happy to be sharing his knowledge. I'll continue to teach them and give them opportunities to shoot. Looking forward to my first hunt with them!
elk-n-walleye

Postby bnsafe » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

this will be my sons first elk hunt. got him a cow tag first rifle and bull second. hes not much of a hunter so we wont go in deep but hopefully a cow will show herself.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Birks » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

well my sons are 3 and 1. so it'll be a few years yet. I do take my 3 year old out quading, setting up trail cameras, seen an elk while out and about, he loved it. He also played Hunting games on the Xbox, and Ipad, and loves it. He has a stuffed Blackbear, Moose, deer, and wolf that he sleeps with every night lol. Anyways, here is a video of him bugling. This was a few months ago, and he's gotten alot better.

Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Buglemaster » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It took my son on his first elk hunt at 11 yrs old. He ate it up & today at 33, he still has that love of the game. He had to set out last season as his wife had just gave birth to his second son. He is as fired up about the upcoming season as I have ever seen him, as am I.the absolute most memorable moment for me, was watching him calmly slip an arrow into his first bull elk at 60 yds, then follow it up with a second arrow as the bull just stood there. Then we both went to pieces. Can hardly wait for my Grandsons first trip to the high country. Best hunting buddies are real special, but even more so when they are your kids.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby cnelk » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

My son took his first rifle cow elk last fall at the age of 15.

Now at 16, next week he is coming with us for the archery elk opener - a 3 day hunt due to school and varsity golf
He will travel back and forth to elk camp on the weekends.

He has helped me set tree stands and knows the R&G country.
My job is to lure an elk into his lap!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Harmy » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

This will be my oldest son's first hunt. We have OTC any bull tags and cow tags. Plans are to backpack in a few miles and setup base. He is really excited and looking forward to the whole expereince. So am I!!!
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Castnblast » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

What age did you start taking them to the camp?
Castnblast

First Name: Jack
Last Name: Rentz

Postby under H2O hunter » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I am 36 and I have a 14 year old son that has been going hunting with me sense he was 7 years old. My father who taught me how to hunt use to go with us to take care of him as my son would get restless and want to go back to camp. As my son got older he would stay out there longer and longer. It made it nice for me as I like to sit all day long... A couple years ago when my son was 12 and was finally able to carry his own tag and gun we hunted 1st rifle season. I had my girlfriend along as well and my father. My dad wasn't hunting but was camp cook. It was his final hunting trip with me as his knees can't take the hike anymore. I get all emotional just thinking about it and writing this out now. Anyways, I was able to call a small bull in that my girlfriend put down at 7am opening morning. My son was so mad cause he wanted to kill it. Later that day I found one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen on public land. The only problem was that it wasn't going to move much as he had a ton of cows with him. The bull was 584yards away. Now most people wouldn't feel comfortable taking those long shots but its something that my father taught me how to do and I have been teaching my son for a long time. My son can pop water bottles at 400 yards without blinking an eye. He was shooting a Browning 7mm mag BAR with a 160grain bullet. The drop for that is shot is 89 inches. Trying to judge 56 inches at a monster bull when you're 12 well lets just say that he wasn't close but I sure enjoyed spotting for him.. Last year I found a nice 6x6 and got him to with in 350 yards along with a buddy of mine who had never gone elk hunting. My buddy was a bit quicker on the trigger and put the bull down. My son was happy we were able to get an animal down and didn't seem to upset. This year I promised him both an archery hunt and a rifle hunt. We will spend 2 weeks bow hunting together then head back to the same area for first rifle season. My son has an either sex archery tag and he drew a cow tag for the first rifle season. I am pretty sure that my son is going to show me up this year and bag both of his elk while I am left to the calling, gutting, packing, and scouting... LOL But hey I remember when I was young and my dad did all of that for me... I wouldn't have it any other way. Except to maybe have my dad along with us one more time to share the experience with us....

I get more enjoyment out of passing along the wisdom and knowledge that has been taught to me then bagging monster bulls... So I encourage everyone to take their kids hunting even your wife's, girlfriends, or anyone who wants to learn... Cause your life is defined by your dash. For those that don't know what that is. Well its the that little thing they put between the numbers on your head stone when you're gone.

Good luck to all of you
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I took my oldest with me on an elk hunt when he was 11. He hunted grouse and I hunted elk and he stayed with me a week. He made it a couple days before he was ready to stay in camp for a rest.
I think that's a really important thing to consider when you're considering taking your youngsters on their first elk hunt. Kids may not be as durable as we think they are and it's important to recognize when they've had enough. We're lucky to hunt out of a base camp, and I doubt that any of my boys would have survived a long term back country hunt with camp on their backs. All kids are different though, so just know what your kids are capable of and don't push them beyond their brink while they're still learning.
Bullnuts