Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunter Etiquette

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunter Etiquette

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I was reading Lefty's thread on the blind that had been constructed on the water hole, and I got to thinking about how there really aren't a lot of rules regarding hunter etiquette - what one guy thinks is ok would make another guy hopping mad.

One of the things that gets me fired up is to have a hunter camp on top of me at a wallow or other site. I have one particular wallow that I like to spend afternoons on, but the problem is, there's an ATV trail that leads up past it. I typically park my vehicle about 1/4 mile away and hike over a ridge to get to the spot where I'll sit, but invariably, at some point during the season, I'll have someone else ride in, drive past me, acknowledge that I'm there, and then go sit 25 yards away on the same wallow. It drives me nuts that some people have absolutely no common sense or respect for others.

Granted, this is public ground and it's open to the public, and I can't claim the site as "Mine" but common sense should tell a person that if the spot is already occupied, it's best to move on and hunt somewhere else.
Bullnuts

Re: Hunter Etiquette

Postby Bowhunter » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I would just hunt it anyway, if they were not there when you went in. I hunt a public place next to home and put my stand up 100yds from another hunters stand. I met him on the way in to look for a place to hang the stand. I talked to him and he seemed like a good hunter and scent savy so I figured he wouldn't mess the area up. I asked what vehicle he drove. I go to a diferent stand if he is there and hunt the spot if he isn't. We both shot deer from the spot. Just hunt it.

This is my reply on the other topic. People like the hunter you mentioned are just plain JERKS. You could try to ask him to show some respect and keep his distance if you are there and welcome him to hunt it if you are not. My guess is if he is the type of person to pull the act you mentioned you would just be wasting you time.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby easeup » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Bowhunter wrote:
. ....My guess is if he is the type of person to pull the act you mentioned you would just be wasting you time.

this
easeup

Postby Birks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Last year i was at my usual hunting camp, the Ranch hand that takes care of cattle and horses on the private property is an old guy, very nice. Well his nefew happened to be visiting, and came over and chatted with us a bit. Then became annoying as he got drunk and wouldn't go away.

Later in the afternoon, myself and a buddy took our bows and our quads, and went to a spot where i had a trail camera sitting, and i had seen elk the night before and heard them that morning. We usually park the quads on the private property, then hop the fence into the crown land and walk about a mile into a valley.

Just before prime hunting time, was just cooling down, and close to feeding time, we heard a quad coming down the trail. Now being public land we were on at the time, and having seen a few quads in some of the pictures on my trail cam, i figured maybe it was a local out for a ride. well here comes the annoying drunk riding down the trail. i walked out from my little patch of bush, and confronted him. He had to ride right past our ATV's to get in so he knew we were there, then came right to us basically, ruining our hunt.

then the next evening i went to a completely different spot about 5km away on some different land that bordered a small river, and had alfalfa in the field. My dad had shot an elk there 2 years prior. I let out a bugel, and within 5 min i could hear a quad. Low and behold here comes that drunk again. I lost my mind, i could have physically hurt the guy at that point. but i just screamed at him and went to the owner of the property. He told me that he'd deal with it, and that the other guy wasn't supposed to be disturbing anyone that was staying on the land and that i had the only permission to be hunting because he didn't allow more than 1 group of people to hunt his land at a time to eliminate a chance of anyone getting hurt or shot.

needless to say he avoided us after that until he left the following day.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Bowhunter wrote:I would just hunt it anyway, if they were not there when you went in. I hunt a public place next to home and put my stand up 100yds from another hunters stand. I met him on the way in to look for a place to hang the stand. I talked to him and he seemed like a good hunter and scent savy so I figured he wouldn't mess the area up. I asked what vehicle he drove. I go to a diferent stand if he is there and hunt the spot if he isn't. We both shot deer from the spot. Just hunt it.

I've come to agreements with guys before on hunts and it worked out ok. One morning I was working a bull from the top of a ridge and found out that another hunter was working the same bull from the bottom. We basically ran into each other, and agreed that we would work together. He even gave me first if we could catch up to the bull because he had shot at and missed it earlier in the morning at the bottom of the hill. We worked together that morning and while we didn't kill that bull, we learned from each other and had a good time. At the end of the morning I told him that I wouldn't be back to the spot so he could have it - he was there first - and he told me that he would only be hunting it the next couple of days and then he'd be heading for home. We didn't run into each other again that season. It's great when you have another hunter that respects what you are trying to do and you can respect them and come to an agreement. Other guys, though, like the guy that I mentioned or the guy in Birk's post are just idiots that have no sense.
Bullnuts

Postby Pmixmaster » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I personally don't want to hunt a post someone is already at. I want to be far away from others as possible. With that said i've had several people come into areas where i was clearly Parked and occupying an area.. One thing that does bug me is when outfitters block the Road or trail and say dont go up there i have hunters there.. I get your trying to put them on elk but outfitters seem to think they have more right to be there than us and that rubs me the wrong way ........ And if that happens to me again id prob say well i have a game cam in the area or something . I just dont like the arrogance and them thinking they have more right to an area
Pmixmaster

First Name: Rob
Last Name: Padilla

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bullnuts wrote:
Bowhunter wrote:I would just hunt it anyway, if they were not there when you went in. I hunt a public place next to home and put my stand up 100yds from another hunters stand. I met him on the way in to look for a place to hang the stand. I talked to him and he seemed like a good hunter and scent savy so I figured he wouldn't mess the area up. I asked what vehicle he drove. I go to a diferent stand if he is there and hunt the spot if he isn't. We both shot deer from the spot. Just hunt it.

I've come to agreements with guys before on hunts and it worked out ok. One morning I was working a bull from the top of a ridge and found out that another hunter was working the same bull from the bottom. We basically ran into each other, and agreed that we would work together. He even gave me first if we could catch up to the bull because he had shot at and missed it earlier in the morning at the bottom of the hill. We worked together that morning and while we didn't kill that bull, we learned from each other and had a good time. At the end of the morning I told him that I wouldn't be back to the spot so he could have it - he was there first - and he told me that he would only be hunting it the next couple of days and then he'd be heading for home. We didn't run into each other again that season. It's great when you have another hunter that respects what you are trying to do and you can respect them and come to an agreement. Other guys, though, like the guy that I mentioned or the guy in Birk's post are just idiots that have no sense.

Now that's just awesome right there. Good stuff!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Bullnuts wrote: Granted, this is public ground and it's open to the public, and I can't claim the site as "Mine" but common sense should tell a person that if the spot is already occupied, it's best to move on and hunt somewhere else.

I could not agree with this more. I've had hunts blown, when I was mere seconds or minutes from drawing on an animal because of lack of etiquette or common sense. On the other hand, in one of these instances, the guy felt so bad about blowing my shot he gave up a pretty sweet elk area. I felt that payback was fair. :)
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Birks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Another one from last year, my dad went to a river crossing, going to an alfalfa field early morning, parked his truck on the road so other hunters would know someone was down there. The river was Public land, but the field he was sneaking to was private that we had permission to hunt. As he's quietly making his way to the field and river crossing, another truck comes cruising down the road allowance, around his truck and is just about to pass him on the road, just as day is breaking.

So my dad walks into the road, waves down the truck and askes them what they are doing. They claimed they are going up the other side of the river. so he replies, didn't you see my truck there? You knew I was down here, now you just ruined my morning hunt. The guy had the gull to look him in the face and say, "It didn't ruin mine." Well my dad is a pretty easy going guy, and faily mild tempered, but as you can imagine, this ticked him off. So with that, he turned around, faced the opposite direction of the truck and fired his rifle at the ground, turned around and said, "Now I did." and he walked away.

Last year was the first time i've had other hunters really get in the way when i've been elk hunting. Had another run in with other hunters, but they were polite and actually pointed out a bull to us, but it was after legal hours, so we watched it walk off and had a chat with them. Some people just don't care, some will be willing to work together.
Birks

Postby mjblowers » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I'm out there for "me time and nature" first, being with close family/buddy second, and the kill/experience third. Someone tredding on top of me impedes on all of those things.

I can understand hunters stumbling on one another or calling eachother with bugles, I simply can't understand someone parking next to my truck and going up the same trail. It blows my mind. I took my mother rifle bull hunting last year, and after shooting at an elk, hunters walked in between the elk and us. Literally, looked up at us, walked right in our line of shooting, and kept going. I went to pursue the downed bull, scared it out of the thicket, and heard a BAM, as the hunters shot OVER MY HEAD and watched as the bull rolled down the hill within 20 yards of my feet. I lit that ravine up with some choice words and saved some for our face to face when the hunter showed up to the bull with me waiting there.

The worst part? Five minutes prior to the shot (I'm wearing hunter orange) I blasted some nasty gurgly elk mews to get their attention so they knew I was there. They waved to acknowledge me. And still shot.

Good thing I'm not a game warden. Would take their license for life.
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Postby no limits » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

so let me see if I got this right. If I pull up to a trail head and see a truck already parked their, I can't hunt that trail or use it to walk in on to get to another area to hunt? If I cross paths with another hunter that was their first, this is bad hunting etiquette?
no limits

First Name: Arlyn
Last Name: Hamstra

Postby mtnmutt » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

At one of my "trailheads" (not a true trail), there are so many directions that a hunter may go from there that there is no way I would stay out of there because of seeing other vehicles. I only once have seen the same jeep parked there before me and that person was obviously doing a backcountry hunt since it was there all day and night and never moved. When I get back to my "trailhead", I frequently see 2-4 other vehicles that I did not see when I arrived in the morning. I also rarely see another hunter when I go in from there because I gradually keep going deeper into Wilderness away from the road as the morning progresses.

Each "trailhead" and number of vehicles should be evaluated based on the surrounding huntable terrain. My trailhead is huntable in all directions. Some park their car there but hop a ride up to the ridge in their buddies truck. I have seen that at other "trailheads" too.

In Colorado, each public land area that I have hunted has loads of acreage to hunt and I rarely encounter another hunter.

If you encounter another hunter while passing by them in the woods, simply acknowledge their presence with maybe a slight wave and keep going. I don't stop to chat if they stationary.

If you happen to pass by Swede's treestand, I would grab some pine cones and throw them at him to wake him up :D He will thank you later.
mtnmutt

Postby LarryBud » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

no limits wrote:so let me see if I got this right. If I pull up to a trail head and see a truck already parked their, I can't hunt that trail or use it to walk in on to get to another area to hunt? If I cross paths with another hunter that was their first, this is bad hunting etiquette?

I expect that I will see other hunters at the trailhead. Where we go from there, is open. There are only so many trailheads.

Now, if I know someone is working and area, I'll steer well clear and would expect them to do the same.
LarryBud

Postby cnelk » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I have seen some trail heads have 7-8 trucks when I return from the morning hunt.
There wasnt any when I left my truck and I didnt see anyone during the morning hunt....

Some country just swallows everyone up
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Birks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 15]

no limits wrote:so let me see if I got this right. If I pull up to a trail head and see a truck already parked their, I can't hunt that trail or use it to walk in on to get to another area to hunt? If I cross paths with another hunter that was their first, this is bad hunting etiquette?

In my dad's case it was the only real route, and it only went to one spot. and it was to private land. just so happened they were going to try to drive through the river to get to the other side, too lazy to park and walk like a normal person.
Birks

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I believe that trailheads, like most everyone else here, are just openings into the forest. They're parking areas and you expect to see vehicles there and for guys to be using the trailheads to access their areas. What you don't expect is to have someone follow you into your spot or try to disrupt your hunt because you were there first. One of the places I have hunted for years was discovered last year by a couple of guys. They parked in the right spot and beat me there. I left them alone, drove another mile, and headed into the woods there. Not a big deal and we never saw each other. I believe that a few days later they showed me the same etiquette because I heard their truck slow down and then head down the mountain away from me when they saw my vehicle parked in the same spot. It's simple manners, I think, and it pays back in a big way with elk karma.
Bullnuts

Postby Birks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Bullnuts wrote:I believe that trailheads, like most everyone else here, are just openings into the forest. They're parking areas and you expect to see vehicles there and for guys to be using the trailheads to access their areas. What you don't expect is to have someone follow you into your spot or try to disrupt your hunt because you were there first. One of the places I have hunted for years was discovered last year by a couple of guys. They parked in the right spot and beat me there. I left them alone, drove another mile, and headed into the woods there. Not a big deal and we never saw each other. I believe that a few days later they showed me the same etiquette because I heard their truck slow down and then head down the mountain away from me when they saw my vehicle parked in the same spot. It's simple manners, I think, and it pays back in a big way with elk karma.

Wish there was a "Like" option as on facebook. Because this hits the nail on the head. If you know you're path is going to disturb a hunt, and you were the one that was late getting there, you need to man up and just move on and leave the early bird to his worm, and try your luck elsewhere.
Birks

Postby Trophyhill » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Hunter Etiquette? what's that? in all seriousness though I don't worry about what other guys are doing. all I can control is what I do. if I worried about someone elses manners, it would be a distraction that could take away from what i'm out there trying to do.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby easeup » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 19]

good point David. In many ways it is no different than the weather. It is whatever it is. you never know what it will be and you will never change it. Just work with what happens.

On a happy note, I must say most every guy I ever meet in the elk woods was a fine man and honor to meet. I believe most are just like me and want the same things in the hunt and in life. Maybe we can help each other.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I try to hunt were others dont or wont, saves "me" the headaches.

I had 3 nice mulies patterned one year. I left my truck at 3:00 AM, in my stand 35 feet up before 5;00 AM,..
6:55 A local came up the ridge on an area closed to ATVs, the mulies ran over the hill never to be seen the rest of the season, rude and illegal

I try,.. No, I am nice to others I realize some just dont know any better, some are too inexperienced, while some are down-right rude
But the guy that followed my footprints through 4 feet of fresh snow in Montana at sunrise got my goat up,.. and I let him have it

Sometimes we need to share,.. just the way it is,.. But with big wide open space I head where I dont expect to see others
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elk-n-walleye » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 21]

this kind of belongs in the pet peeve thread but, regardless, it was poor etiquette by the other hunters. The situation was that we splitting up that morning and hiked a particular ridge in three different directions. Later that morning my brother had just filled his tag with a nice spike elk and my dad and I were helping him field dress it and get it loaded into the truck. While doing so a couple of hunters driving by stopped and were examining our efforts and making small talk. Naturally they took note of the direction the herd went but they themselves weren't going to go in after them to try catching up with them. After they left I told my dad I would follow the herd and he should go over to the next ravine and set up in a good spot in case I bump them, which he did. Well, the same road hunters later drove up the same route and drove past him knowing there was no outlet and parked about 1/3 to 1/2 mile further up the ravine. As I was tracking them and coming around the point into the late morning shade I found where the elk had bedded in the snow but I had obviously bumped them. Soon after that I reached the east facing slope and I heard a gun shot on the opposite slope. I found an opening to see the elk now running up over the next hill. I thought I had accomplished my task by pushing the elk to my dad but instead the other hunters, liked I said, had driven up past them and the elk crossed their path first. Those hunters were thrilled to get an elk but to make things worse they didn't even acknowledge that it was my efforts that got those elk off there bed again where they could actually see them from the comfort of their truck.

Its still kind of frustrating thinking about other hunters piggy backing off of your hard work. On the other hand when you hunt public land that is very accessible by vehicle you anticipate coming across hunters that don't leave the road.
elk-n-walleye

Postby twinkieman » 08 24, 2013 •  [Post 22]

While most hunters do have a sense of etiquette, just like any group of people there are always some bad apples on the barrel. With the bad apple group, nothing we can do or say will change who they are. I met one of my current elk hunting partners while elk hunting. He displayed " great etiquette", and we ended up tag teaming a bull we were both hunting, instead of both of us just messing the other up. I hunt in wilderness areas to get away from people and a lot of effort is required just to get into areas I hunt. You would think that with the effort needed to be there that all hunters would be in the good etiquette group, but that is not the case. I have also run into hunters I would just as soon put my elk tag on. With this bunch of bad apples, for me, I have to just get away from them. I have to move somewhere else to avoid a confrontation. I always try to talk with them, and if you get the, this is public ground and I will do what I want, and hunt where I want response, they will fall into the BAD APPLE group, and no amount of reasoning will change their outlook or perceptions.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson