Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

1st Quarter, throwing the bomb

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

1st Quarter, throwing the bomb

Postby JGH » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm taking the 3rd week of September to hunt "proper" ... but will try a weekend hunt the first or second weeks, too.

I'm thinking that I may try to open up the game early, so to speak. There's a deep, dark canyon near where I hunt. After being near it for a week last year, I don't think anyone goes down there ... it's too far back for most hunters. But I think there are elk down there -- I've heard them and seen tracks going in. I plan on hunting other areas during my later-September hunt.

So, I'll do a "hunt-and-scout" for this adventure. It'll be an all-day walk to get in and out of there while scouting it properly. I figure I can be a bit more aggressive and even check out bedding areas since I don't plan on being back in there later in the season unless we're to "Plan C".

When you are hunting/scouting at the same time, what methods of hunting do you prefer, assuming that an early-morning location bugle has gone unnoticed and no spontaneous elk appearances occur? Cold-calling? Raking + cold-calling? Splashing in a wallow, calling, then sitting back and waiting?

Assume early season, pre-rut.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: 1st Quarter, throwing the bomb

Postby elkmtngear » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I am imagining myself trying go down in there on the leeward end, as stealthily as possible, and working my way through slowly into the wind, looking for the best trails and freshest sign. Then I would set up and do the full blown "herd scenario"...and give it a full hour before moving on to the next spot.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JGH » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That's kind of what I was thinking ... this place is not a typical spot where a definite feeding area and a definite bedding area can be identified ... there are small clearings, small watering areas, and then a lot of dark timber areas.

I'm thinking of setting up for "herd scenarios" both in the very bottom, and on the downwind side of identifiable "benches" in the dark stuff.
JGH

Postby cnelk » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

John
Opening morning will find me in a new spot that I have only been once - it sounds similar to yours.
I know how the thermals drift and I will be making a 3+ mile loop doing 'hunt/scout'.

I am going to do my setups just like it is a familiar spot, mews, raking & stomping, listening and banking on 'beginners luck' :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

John: Can you get your horse down in that canyon? That would sure make it a lot easier coming back out. LOL!

Oh, by the way, are you still using those boots on your horse? Just wondering how you like them by now.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JGH » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk ... "beginner's luck" ... that's what I'm always banking on, Man! And you know what? Sometimes, it works! And it's always a good time.

WW ... I can NOT get a horse down in there ... at least I haven't found a way yet, and I've tried. I AM still using boots. We've got two horses that did the Bighorn 100 (100 miles in 1 day, 29,000 feet of elevation change) in them this year, and yep, I'm pretty proud of them. Last time I went in to check trail cameras was with a farrier. I lost one boot and he gave me crap. When we got back to the trailhead, he had lost 2 shoes in the bogs! At least I could replace the boots.

To be honest (for anyone who cares) the horse boots have really done well for us. That was the first boot that I lost this year, and I realized why later: They were fit for another horse! Had I had the proper boots on, we'd have been fine.

Anyway, the very fact that it's tough to get into is the attraction. I can pack something to a "horse-able" area, though.
JGH

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I'd be inclined to play it real cool. Raking, splashing in wallows if found, and not a single vocalization unless you get some interest and need to make something HAPPEN. But, I'm no expert.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C