Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Checking SD Cards in the Field

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Checking SD Cards in the Field

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

How do you guys do it? For me, I just can't justify spending $85 - $120 for a viewer-only, when I know I can get something with more functionality, like another trail camera for that price. Normally, I just wait until I get home to check until the season starts, and then do without the camera intel during the hunt. This year I want to monitor during the hunt. However, I've found my Moultrie cam is not compatable with my digital point and shoot. I've tried 2 different digital cameras actually and the same thing. It will not read the image files that the Moultrie takes. Is this just a matter of formatting my SD card in the point and shoot, and then it will read the Moultrie images? Anyone have similar issues with using digital point and shoot cameras as a viewer? You would think being .JPG files, they would all be completely interchangeable. *Shrug*
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Re: Checking SD Cards in the Field

Postby maverick11 » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I take my iPad along and download the pics onto it. But I hunt out of my cabin so I don't pack much stuff with me and I'm back in am and pm to charge it
maverick11

Postby GetemDuck » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

What moultrie do you have? I have moultrie, wildgame innovation and primos and have had no issues with my SD card reading in my cheap kodak camera. Have you tried formatting the card in you point and shoot camera then placing it in your trail camera? I've never reformatted a card in my trail cam I always do it in my point shot camera so maybe that make a difference???
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

GetemDuck wrote:What moultrie do you have? I have moultrie, wildgame innovation and primos and have had no issues with my SD card reading in my cheap kodak camera. Have you tried formatting the card in you point and shoot camera then placing it in your trail camera? I've never reformatted a card in my trail cam I always do it in my point shot camera so maybe that make a difference???

That is good to know GetemDuck! I have the older D-55, 5 megapixel. I actually have not tried formatting it in my camera! It occured to me the other day that maybe that was the issue. I was going to try that this weekend, when I hike my camping gear in. But wanted to know if that is what the problem was before I go trying to sneak into my camera again!
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

maverick11 wrote:I take my iPad along and download the pics onto it. But I hunt out of my cabin so I don't pack much stuff with me and I'm back in am and pm to charge it

I need to get an iPad . . . and a cabin . . . :D
Washington Wapiti

Postby Pop-r » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I use the mini sd cards & then put it in my phone for viewing.
Pop-r

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Shawn, another option to try is to go to your local Walmart and buy a cheap 7" Digital Picture frame. Take it home and see if it reads your SD cards. If it does, you're in business. If not, return it. I haven't tried this yet but have heard it works just fine. A hell of a lot cheapter than the readers made for trail cam SD cards :)... Here's a link showing what I'm referring to. Let me know if it works for you. RJ

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sungale-7-Thi ... e/24458209
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Birks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

i Got an SD reader for my Ipad.

Also i used to just use a digital camera that uses the same size SD, before i got the SD reader.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Washington Wapiti wrote:
GetemDuck wrote:,...That is good to know GetemDuck! I have the older D-55, 5 megapixel. I,...!

I had an older D-55 battery eater, it worked on my cheap cannon power shot. As a side note we sold my old Moultree for $35.00 I think we saved that in batteries in the last 15 months
My bushnell works just fine on our Cannon powershots
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkaddict » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Washington Wapiti wrote:
maverick11 wrote:I take my iPad along and download the pics onto it. But I hunt out of my cabin so I don't pack much stuff with me and I'm back in am and pm to charge it

LOL..I do the same thing maverick does, comfy!
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Phantom16 wrote:Shawn, another option to try is to go to your local Walmart and buy a cheap 7" Digital Picture frame. Take it home and see if it reads your SD cards. If it does, you're in business. If not, return it. I haven't tried this yet but have heard it works just fine. A hell of a lot cheapter than the readers made for trail cam SD cards :)... Here's a link showing what I'm referring to. Let me know if it works for you. RJ

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sungale-7-Thi ... e/24458209

Well, now that's a helluva an idea! I love cheap eh . . . *cough* frugal. Thanks RJ, I just may do that tonight with my other card. I will let you know if that works or not. Then I can sit in my treestand this year and look at pics instead of trying to concentrate on not getting naseuous from vertigo. :mrgreen: Moutrie is the only brand that I've ever heard of this being an issue with. I do like their cameras, but I've heard of others having the same problems with playback.

Lefty, you are breaking my heart. LOL I love my D-55! Easy to set up and has all the basic features I need. I usually only have to change batteries once over the summer. I don't know if I have to do that, I do it as a precaution to keep it fully powered. Although, last year I could've sworn that the trigger range dropped significantly when the battery life got down to like 80%. I will have to test that one out further.

Pop-r, I bet the mini's would work great if I still had Android. I've gone to the darkside with my iPhone, but have a sweet camo Otterbox for it. :)
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Elkaddict wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:

LOL..I do the same thing maverick does, comfy!

LOL!
Washington Wapiti

Postby Buglemaster » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I picked up a Cruz 310 tablet off eBay for $42. It has a 7" screen & reads my cards. Just another option.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby stickflngr » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I have a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot camera that I check my cams with and it works good with my 2 Moutrie D55ir xt. I do format my cards in either my camera or my laptop back at camp. The one thing I would do though, is try formatting your card then trigger your cam while your there, then check and make sure your cam and SD are compatible and it actually took your pic.
stickflngr

Postby JGH » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I use an iPad ... or a camera ... or even my Oregon 450t which has a micro-SD slot. The iPad is best, as I can download the photos, then erase the card and use it again. Plus, it's a great screen, though it is large.

Oh, and it won't play the videos.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby dtrkyman » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

my garmin for my truck has an sd card reader so I use it sometimes, I prefer to have 2 cards for each camera and just swap cards when I get to cams.
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano

Postby Moose-head » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Washington Wapiti wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:...go to your local Walmart and buy a cheap 7" Digital Picture frame. Take it home and see if it reads your SD cards. If it does, you're in business. If not, return it...

Well, now that's a helluva an idea! I love cheap eh . . . *cough* frugal...

Great idea lemme know how this works if you try it.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby 1bigpaddle » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I just bring my digital camera and swap out cards. and if i see something worth taking a photo of I am able to take that photo too. never enter the forest without a camera.
1bigpaddle

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Cherveny

Postby Grundy53 » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have 7 moultries and my point and shoot reads all if their cards...
Grundy53

First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Grant

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Like some others, my simple Canon point and shoot is all you need. Reads from any trail camera, I have 5 different types, just format it with your camera. Doesn't do video.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 21]

My point and shoot will absolutely not read the Moultrie I have, even after formatting the card to the point and shoot. I guess I have the "special kid of the bunch." Or maybe my point and shoot is too old . . . got it in 2006. Who knows. My brother can use his point and shoot to check his Tasco cams too. RJ, I went into Wally World last night and the cheapest 7" digital frame they had was $40. But guess what I discovered?? They have the Moultrie Picture Viewer at walmart.com for $49! New item on there. LOL, For that price I will cave. Especially, since it is so close in price to the frame. Be nice to know if the frame works too though. Definitely a good alternative!
Washington Wapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Washington Wapiti wrote:My point and shoot will absolutely not read the Moultrie I have, even after formatting the card to the point and shoot. I guess I have the "special kid of the bunch." Or maybe my point and shoot is too old . . . got it in 2006. Who knows. My brother can use his point and shoot to check his Tasco cams too. RJ, I went into Wally World last night and the cheapest 7" digital frame they had was $40. But guess what I discovered?? They have the Moultrie Picture Viewer at walmart.com for $49! New item on there. LOL, For that price I will cave. Especially, since it is so close in price to the frame. Be nice to know if the frame works too though. Definitely a good alternative!

Nice! Heck, you can't take the family out for dinner for 49 bones.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Phantom16 wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:My point and shoot will absolutely not read the Moultrie I have, even after formatting the card to the point and shoot. I guess I have the "special kid of the bunch." Or maybe my point and shoot is too old . . . got it in 2006. Who knows. My brother can use his point and shoot to check his Tasco cams too. RJ, I went into Wally World last night and the cheapest 7" digital frame they had was $40. But guess what I discovered?? They have the Moultrie Picture Viewer at walmart.com for $49! New item on there. LOL, For that price I will cave. Especially, since it is so close in price to the frame. Be nice to know if the frame works too though. Definitely a good alternative!

Nice! Heck, you can't take the family out for dinner for 49 bones.

Ha! You got that right!
Washington Wapiti

Postby BRazz » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I use my cell phone. I loaded a micro-SD (with normal SD size converter) into the camera, so I just pop the micro card into my cell phone and download them. Works like a charm, especially since I usually use my cell as my GPS also.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W