Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

BUGLING!!??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

BUGLING!!??

Postby ChukarNUT » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Was in the mountains from sunrise to sunset Wednesday in NE Oregon with my 7 year old son. We were on a mission to harvest a bear and do some scouting for elk/deer. At approximately 730am pacific time, at an elevation of 6300 ft, on a south facing slope, a lonesome 5pt appeared out of the timber into the feed slope and cried the high pitched scream of "I'm lonely, sooooo lonely" !!! :D First bugle of the year for us! He milled around for a few minutes, bugled again and then back into the timber. We did not harvest a bear although we saw one pretty blonde phase but looked to be first season away from mom, a little on the small side for my taste. While putting another treestand up midday, we did hear a bear growling/roaring very loudly for a few minutes down in a creek drainage not far from us---the look on my sons face was priceless :shock: We snuck in hoping for a glimpse but he never showed himself in the thick elk brush of the creek bottom, sounded like he may have found himself a big yellow jacket nest? Speaking of yellow jackets and bald faced hornets for that matter--OMG the worst I have ever seen them, all day, relentless and everywhere! Got stung twice--so if your allergic be safe and carry the appropriate meds and chili powder! Even if your not allergic, at least carry benadryl just in case you find out you are on the hill! Its better to carry the single dose liquid containers b/c if you do start to swell, the liquid can be easier to absorb in the mouth if your having a hard time swallowing. In the evening we watched a group of 9 cows and 2 calfs, a spike that was outcasted, a very nice-tall-wide 4pt mulie and his 3pt brother all feed on the same south facing slope. Is it opener yet???!!!! LOL 2 more days here!! Good luck everyone--be safe, have FUN, and shoot straight. ---ChukarNUT
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Re: BUGLING!!??

Postby twinkieman » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good Luck brian, have a good trip and I hope you do well.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Re: BUGLING!!??

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Brian, sounds like you two had a great time despite the stinging critters out there! They are just as bad this year in Idaho as well, they are everywhere! I am allergic & take benadryl with me, I have tablets but will chew them up to fine powder before swallowing, seems to work well & fast. I hate bees of all kinds! (grin) Good luck to you!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul