Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cows with calves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cows with calves

Postby JGH » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For those of you who would take a cow ... would you shoot her if she had a calf?

I've taken whitetail does with fawns, but that's usually much later in the year. I'm sure calves would likely survive, though not as sure as I was with whitetail fawns.

A second question: if after meat, would you take the calf?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Cows with calves

Postby cnelk » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

For those of you who would take a cow ... would you shoot her if she had a calf?
Yes. It has been documented that an elk calf is plenty big enough to survive, and they usually hook up with more elk for safety in numbers

A second question: if after meat, would you take the calf?
Yes. I have in the past

Dont underestimate the size of an elk calf.
Here is a a pic of a calf taken the 2nd week of archery season

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby AmericanBwana » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The timing is funny, just thought about this last night.

I passed on a cow with calf in tow (Ranged 35 years, broadside, standing still) on opening day a couple of years ago. Do I feel bad, nope. The decision had been made before hunting season that would not shoot a cow with a calf in tow.

One needs to know what they you will shoot, before they head out. As for me, I'd either shoot the calf (missed on a couple of years ago), a cow with no calf, or a bull.

Just me.

AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Postby Trophyhill » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

yes I would and have. elk are herd animals and the herd will take care of the calf. if the calf isn't off the tit yet another cow will suckle it. in Sept though most calves are weened or just about weened anyway. best eating cow I've had yet.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Bowhunter » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I am an elk hunter. I do not discriminate for neither age or gender. :) The calf will survive as the others stated.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I would shoot the calf and not the cow. I've killed a wet cow before and the meat tasted different- not as much flavor. I associated that lack of flavor with the fact that she was still nursing and the good stuff was going to milk production. The calf on the other hand - that's some tasty eats right there! And calves are pretty big in Sept so there's quite a bit of meat on them. It's like killing an animal made of fillet mignons.
Bullnuts

Postby BRazz » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I would also shoot the calf instead of the cow, but not tell my wife...
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby bnsafe » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

if they are like whitetails they are gonna get ran off as soon as rut starts anyway. so yep, Im shootin whichever one wants to get shot. I have felt kinda bad though after killing a deer and the fawn stands around an looks at you instead of running away. sure got over it though
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Ive had calves and fawns at gun barrel and arms leagth,. In the case of elk Ive had other cows close enoughto avoid calves and cows with calves

Heck yeah, II would kill either if I "had" too.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I guess I am the odd ball. I personally would not shoot a cow with a calf. Just my preference. Then there is the question, is it a calf or a yearling. The one that cnelk shows hanging in the tree, (pictures can be deceiving) I would call a yearling and its mother should be dry, and I would shoot her. I have shot a lot of elk in the last 30+ years, but have never shot a yearling or calf. Like I said, its just my personal preference. :? I know the yearling would be nice and tender, I just like to have more elk meat in the freezer to get through till the next season. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer