Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How close is to close for spike camp?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How close is to close for spike camp?

Postby LarryBud » 08 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I was reading the archived thread on mistakes made and one was camping in a drainage and blowing l the elk out.

I was planning on setting up a spike in the bottom of the drainage we plan to hunt. It's about 4 miles long a 2 miles wide. Mostly timber with a mix of meadows. I was going in 1.5 to 2 miles and setting up near the main creek is a small meadow off an old logging road. I suspect elk could be anywhere in the drainage.

Is this a bad move? I want to save the 2 mile hike each morning a separate from the crowd back at the trailhead.
LarryBud

Re: How close is to close for spike camp?

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'd say it's a good plan. Personally I'd camp in the timber if possible, a short walk from water. No fires, no loud voices.

In short, pick a spot you wouldn't expect to see elk for your camp and then keep disturbance to a minimum.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby twinkieman » 08 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would agree, camp in the trees away from the water as elk may decide to drink there. Look for an area with little to no sign. We spike camp near the elk every year, and we don't blow them out. We prefer to be mobile, and will move with the elk if needed. When we spike out, we carry everything with us at all times, and we camp close to the elk, like one ridge over in obscure places, seldom in the same place two nights in a row.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby patdel » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Last year we set up spike camp in a small meadow with a tiny creek after we started finding sign. We spotted a bull in a bigger meadow a couple hundred yards away right before dark. Came close to getting a shot at him. That night we had bugling bulls in and around camp, half dozen or so from the sounds of it. I'm fairly sure I could hear elk walking while laying in my tent. The next night, no bugling. Elk stayed in the general area and we had some okay hunting there, but it was never the same. I would back off out of the sign.
patdel

First Name: pat
Last Name: delaney

Postby JimKirk » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i once shot an elk 150 yards above my spike tent. this year I will be about 1/2 mile from my hunting spot. i think a guy can camp pretty close if you are one or two guys not making much noise.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Z Barebow » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I agree about backing off from meadow/creek.

Not only are elk likely to encounter camp, but it is colder and more damp in the morning. Get into the timber, and you will likely still be within earshot if there is any bugling.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Trophyhill » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I've had elk in my camp at night and bugling a couple hundred yards away in the morning. i'd try to stay directly out of their food or water source where ever I camp.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B