Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trail Cam Pic Highlights

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trail Cam Pic Highlights

Postby POk3s » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Went and pulled my trail cam yesterday. Had about 1,000 pics .......of a tree blowing in the wind. Had probably 50-60 or so of elk. Figured I'd share a few since most of us are on the "FINAL COUNTDOWN". July/early august showed bulls with a big lull the second week of august. Then it went to nothing but cows on the camera. I saw 30-40 elk yesterday. Half of which were bulls with 4 mature 5 points and one good 6 point.

POk3s

Re: Trail Cam Pic Highlights

Postby Castnblast » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Looks good for you. I can't get over how green every body's pics are this year.
Castnblast

First Name: Jack
Last Name: Rentz

Postby POk3s » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It's yellowed up pretty good now. Looks like fall back there ;)
POk3s

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Sweet! Looks like you're gonna have a great season.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I sure hope so. Last year the BIG BOYS came out of the woodwork around the 10th. Hoping it's the same this year but I'd be the happiest dude on the mountain with a 3 1/2 year old bull.
POk3s

Postby cnelk » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Nice!
I luv trail cam pics!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby POk3s » 08 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My first year ever setting one up. I can tell it's going to be addicting.
POk3s

Postby mjblowers » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Holy crap. Is this public land. How far off the road are these types of places. I just NEVER see this type of stuff. It's always one here and there and always few and far between.
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Postby BRazz » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

mjblowers wrote:Holy crap. Is this public land. How far off the road are these types of places. I just NEVER see this type of stuff. It's always one here and there and always few and far between.

I agree, these sorts of things rarely happen when you're sitting watching the spot. I set up a trail cam for the first time ever this season and have seen some amazing critters. A couple bears and lots of elk and deer - and some of those elk are dandies! I suppose the difference is that the camera sits there all day/night everyday, without any sound or smell to spook anything away. I can't say I really use mine for scouting, but it's a good way to get (really really) excited and see what sorts of activity is going on.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby ishy » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

What kind of distance does that thing sense movement? Some of those look like quite a ways.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby POk3s » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

mjblowers wrote:Holy crap. Is this public land. How far off the road are these types of places. I just NEVER see this type of stuff. It's always one here and there and always few and far between.

Yes this is all public land. It's a place my dad has hunted for years and the rest of his hunting party. Only difference is I'm the first one to ever really archery hunt it and backpack in. I've found a few places to glass from anywhere within 100 yards to 2 miles (the best spot) from a 2-track road. My camera is probably less then a mile as the crow flies off of a two track but it's down a steep ridge and halfway up the other side and then up another drainage. It's all about learning the area buddy!

Ishy, the package says 55 ft night range and I got ZERO night pics. This isn't exactly a nighttime feeding area but more of a transition area from feed to bed along with a small place for a snack and some water. I agree the daytime range was pretty great. I just wonder why I only got one pic of the bigger framed bull. Got lucky once I guess.
POk3s