Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Interesting encounter while scouting...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Interesting encounter while scouting...

Postby mjblowers » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Nothing "thrilling" but I was scouting a new area this weekend, occasionally throwing out a cow call or two over the span of a couple hours and a winding hike that took me about a mile (birds eye view) off the road. After glassing from a couple different spots for about a half hour or so, I turned around, for whatever reason, and had a raghorn, full velvet?, staring at me from about 25 yards. It lasted all of a second before it ran off from me turning my head...

Had that encounter not happened, I'd be getting more nervous as I've been having nothing but trail camera problems, the latest being a friendly bear that decided to slap it around and point it at the ground the day after I set it up...
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: Interesting encounter while scouting...

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Watch that calling like that in your hunting area, it's not a good idea at all, you just educated that guy & who knows how many others throughout your time spent there?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mjblowers » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Wait!

I'm confused now... I thought the playbook said it WAS ok shoot off some calls while you are out scouting?
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

The anti hunters in my area spend their time walking trails hitting the Hoochie Mama call trying to chase and educate the elk to keep them away.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby cnelk » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

mjblowers
I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Ive called in the same elk in several times.
Once I called a raghorn to twenty feet 3 times. Each time he turned away, I called him right back.
I had a cow tag at that time.

Plus, there are probably other elk around to play with :)

Go have fun
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Educating elk isn't a good idea in my book. It's cool that you called him in though. Do the same during season and you'll be eating backstraps and tenderloins!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Pop-r » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

There are some i would say (depending on the encounter) that if you call them up once & spook them with a good visual/smell you will never again!! Not with those sounds again anyway.
Pop-r

Postby Elkaddict » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Might not be a good idea, but you gained confidence. Now put it to use when the hunt comes! Good luck!
Elkaddict

First Name: Terry

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Mike, not sure how you are understanding what's written in the PlayBook. I do not recommend to walk through your hunting area cow calling, the reason for this is to avoid what happened to you, that is Elk may sneak in to the calling & you are either busted or they pick up your scent behind you while you walk off calling some more, bad idea.

The only time I'd call during pre-season is from vantage areas to see if elk are around or will respond & then it's generally only a location type bugle. Elk generally will not come running to that sound early on but they could respond to it letting you know they are around. If one or more respond I do not call back. There's a big difference in calling as I just mentioned & walking through the woods cow calling. Have fun & good luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I don't think anyone can tell you either way if what you did was right or wrong because we weren't there to see how aggressive you were with your calling and other circumstances.

Personally, I like Cnelk said , have called the same bull in several times even on different days. The key is, never let them smell you. Always remember, elk can hear you and they can see you. But if they get a whiff of you, it is game over..... Also, if you moved when he came in, that could blow the game as well. But if you didn't over do it with your calling and he didn't smell you or see you move, chances are, you will be OK.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics